LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 303 users in the forums

Will C.J. Spiller be a Reggie Bush or Chris Johnson?

Will C.J. Spiller be a Reggie Bush or Chris Johnson?

Originally posted by Superbowl09:
Originally posted by Thrash88:
Anybody that thinks Reggie Bush isn't the most important part of the Saints offense doesn't really know much. Every single defensive coordinator has said that they piss their pants trying to come up with a plan to shut down Bush. He's too fast for linebackers to cover, he runs routes and catches like a receiver and no one gets him in the open field often. He also has run ALOT better this year averaging over 5.5 yards per carry not to mention 8 touchdowns. He is the most explosive player on the field on that team BY FAR. Brees may be the MVP but if you take away Bush they become way easier to cover you don't have to put a defensive back on a running back when he isn't playing, makes it alot easier to defend the Saints without him in there. If CJ Spiller became anything like Bush I'd be so happy to land him. Chris Johnson is on a hole nother level being that he gets the ball a billion times a game, but people over rating Bush are not the smartest.

I guess I don't really know much then, because while Bush is a valuable part of the Saints offense (as I already said) he is not worth the first round selection that the Saints used to get him OR the first round contract he is currently earning. SO, the point is, if C.J. Spiller is going to be a good return man but only occassionally used in the offense (as Bush is in New Orleans), then we should not select him in the first round.

When CJ is healthy, he is at least as good as Gore is. I doubt he is there at our first pick. So don't sweat it too hard.

As it stands, him coming would be a huge boost for the offense, because not only would there be no dropoff when Gore comes off the field (which is definitely not the case now), but if Gore gets injured the season would not be over. I can't say the same thing if the 49ers pick a WR... even though Crabtree is awesome we struggle throwing the ball near him.
Can't tell.... My damn crystal ball is broken.
Originally posted by strickac:
In between, but closer to Johnson than Bush. Spiller runs with power and is an every down back. He is known for his speed and return skills, but he's no stranger to running between the tackles.

Bush still stuggles running inside. He clearly prefers to break it outself everytime he touches the ball. He's not a true RB like Spiller and Johnson, IMO.

Agree with you. I want Spiller, he would bring a very big dimension to the 49ers offense!
The more I see of him, he is in the Percy Harvin mold but also can run
Originally posted by AC49er:
The more I see of him, he is in the Percy Harvin mold but also can run

Yeah. I wasn't all for him about a week ago but he is really starting to grow on me. If not him we need Perrish Cox or Dexter McCluster in the second.
I don't know exactly who Spiller will turn out to be, but the Niners have to consider taking him because of his game breaking ability. Watching the Cowboys and Vikes today, there were two more young players in that game that fit the mold you are talking about, Percy Harvin and Felix Jones. The Vikes and Cowboys already had decent RB's in Peterson and Barber when they selected these guys. It is up to the brain trust whether they think Spiller will be a fit in our offense long term. I would address the OL first, but taking him at 16/17 wouldn't be bad IMO.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Can't tell.... My damn crystal ball is broken.

!!!!!!! Nice. You remember the threads about Bush? How he was the best running back EVER to enter the NFL. Posters were wanting us to throw games so we could get hom!

Now, hmm. Amazing what hindsight will do for you. And this year, it is Spiller.

No way of knowing if Spiller will be the next big thing. No way of knowing.
He reminds me more of Felix Jones.

Did somebody say he's better than Gore??? WTF?
Originally posted by Superbowl09:
Originally posted by Thrash88:
Anybody that thinks Reggie Bush isn't the most important part of the Saints offense doesn't really know much. Every single defensive coordinator has said that they piss their pants trying to come up with a plan to shut down Bush. He's too fast for linebackers to cover, he runs routes and catches like a receiver and no one gets him in the open field often. He also has run ALOT better this year averaging over 5.5 yards per carry not to mention 8 touchdowns. He is the most explosive player on the field on that team BY FAR. Brees may be the MVP but if you take away Bush they become way easier to cover you don't have to put a defensive back on a running back when he isn't playing, makes it alot easier to defend the Saints without him in there. If CJ Spiller became anything like Bush I'd be so happy to land him. Chris Johnson is on a hole nother level being that he gets the ball a billion times a game, but people over rating Bush are not the smartest.

I guess I don't really know much then, because while Bush is a valuable part of the Saints offense (as I already said) he is not worth the first round selection that the Saints used to get him OR the first round contract he is currently earning. SO, the point is, if C.J. Spiller is going to be a good return man but only occassionally used in the offense (as Bush is in New Orleans), then we should not select him in the first round.

I agree with you to a point, but we will not be paying as near as much as the Saints are to Reggie Bush(#2 pick)
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Where's the Willie Parker option?

I would take the Reggie Bush that played yesterday. Who knows if Spiller will be a star or a superstar. What I do know is that the Niners need speed badly and that a game breaker should be at the top of their draft needs.

Spiller and Williams. That would be a hell of a ist round for the Niners.
  • JD81
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I would take the Reggie Bush that played yesterday. Who knows if Spiller will be a star or a superstar. What I do know is that the Niners need speed badly and that a game breaker should be at the top of their draft needs.

That's exactly what I'm pulling for.
Originally posted by JD81:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

That's exactly what I'm pulling for.

I'm down. Spiller/Williams (or Davis if available), then go defense with 2nd and 3rd, pick up a guard in the 4th. Could start resembling a playoff team.
Originally posted by TommyFrazier:
He reminds me more of Felix Jones.

Did somebody say he's better than Gore??? WTF?

Good call...Spiller reminds me of a slightly faster version of Felix Jones.
Spiller is probably this years version of our Willis pick.

Spiller will make a bad offensive line look good. His acceleration speed is why I wan't him. The lineman won't need to hold on to block for nearly as long. They can simply engage the defender and Spiller will rocket through the hole. Also, with the spread making a huge link in our scheme, screens and dump offs will become a huge weapon.

And a side note...Gore will get the biggest benefit. A legit back up, finally. Gore will be able to rotate with Spiller and tear down defenses bigger backers and lineman.
Share 49ersWebzone