There are 72 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Will C.J. Spiller be a Reggie Bush or Chris Johnson?

Will C.J. Spiller be a Reggie Bush or Chris Johnson?

Do we go with C.J. Spiller in the first round or 2 O-linemen? To me I think the question comes down to this: is he going to be another Reggie Bush, or another Chris Johnson. If he is going to be another Reggie Bush he should not be taken in the first round. Like Reggie Bush he would be very valuable as a return man and occasionally out of the backfield as a speedy RB/WR, but would not be worth a first round contract. However, if he is going to turn into an all around speed demon RB like Chris Johnson he would be well worth a first round contract AND passing on a second O-lineman in the first round. So, what is your opinion? Right now I think I'm leaning more towards him becoming a Reggie Bush type player and not worth a first round contract. We'll see what happens...

[ Edited by Superbowl09 on Jan 11, 2010 at 09:06:43 ]
In between, but closer to Johnson than Bush. Spiller runs with power and is an every down back. He is known for his speed and return skills, but he's no stranger to running between the tackles.

Bush still stuggles running inside. He clearly prefers to break it outself everytime he touches the ball. He's not a true RB like Spiller and Johnson, IMO.
I think CJ Spiller will be CJ Spiller but there is no option to choose that on your poll
Originally posted by KRS-1:
I think CJ Spiller will be CJ Spiller but there is no option to choose that on your poll

Very informative analysis. Thanks for your input.

Originally posted by strickac:
In between, but closer to Johnson than Bush. Spiller runs with power and is an every down back. He is known for his speed and return skills, but he's no stranger to running between the tackles.

Bush still stuggles running inside. He clearly prefers to break it outself everytime he touches the ball. He's not a true RB like Spiller and Johnson, IMO.

I agree he'll be closer to Johnson style-wise, but Johnson has an extra gear that Spiller does not. Spiller isn't slow by any means, but Johnson is special.
Originally posted by Superbowl09:

And this is an unnecessary thread seeing as there is already an 18 page thread on the guy. You could have simply bumped that thread and asked your question in there, and my guess would be that's already been covered.

he will be a player that an imaginative offensive coordinator can use with effect to create mismatches....
I don't think any RB has the juking abilities like reggie bush in the NFL or in college right now besides maybe Jahvid Best.

lol
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
I don't think any RB has the juking abilities like reggie bush in the NFL or in college right now besides maybe Jahvid Best.

Yes, but juking abilities don't warrant a first round contract. Like I said, Bush is valuable as a return man and occasionally used in the offense as a speedy RB/WR, but doesn't run well between the tackles and is an incomplete back; therefore he is not worth the contract he is being paid, and was not worth the first round pick the Saints used on him. So, if C.J. Spiller turns out to be a player similar to Bush I don't believe he will be a smart pick in the first round.

Yes, but juking abilities don't warrant a first round contract. Like I said, Bush is valuable as a return man and occasionally used in the offense as a speedy RB/WR, but doesn't run well between the tackles and is an incomplete back; therefore he is not worth the contract he is being paid, and was not worth the first round pick the Saints used on him. So, if C.J. Spiller turns out to be a player similar to Bush I don't believe he will be a smart pick in the first round.

C.J. Spiller will most likely be used more like Reggie Bush but has a similar style to that of Chris Johnson's.
Anybody that thinks Reggie Bush isn't the most important part of the Saints offense doesn't really know much. Every single defensive coordinator has said that they piss their pants trying to come up with a plan to shut down Bush. He's too fast for linebackers to cover, he runs routes and catches like a receiver and no one gets him in the open field often. He also has run ALOT better this year averaging over 5.5 yards per carry not to mention 8 touchdowns. He is the most explosive player on the field on that team BY FAR. Brees may be the MVP but if you take away Bush they become way easier to cover you don't have to put a defensive back on a running back when he isn't playing, makes it alot easier to defend the Saints without him in there. If CJ Spiller became anything like Bush I'd be so happy to land him. Chris Johnson is on a hole nother level being that he gets the ball a billion times a game, but people over rating Bush are not the smartest.
A poor mans Chris Johnson. Not as fast but a difference maker.

Yup, and that juking has really worked for him. How many games has he missed?
And he was a 1st round draft choice, correct. Franky he's made a bigger splash in the
USC recruiting violation story or as Kim Kardashians boyfriend than as an NFL player.
Originally posted by Thrash88:
Anybody that thinks Reggie Bush isn't the most important part of the Saints offense doesn't really know much. Every single defensive coordinator has said that they piss their pants trying to come up with a plan to shut down Bush. He's too fast for linebackers to cover, he runs routes and catches like a receiver and no one gets him in the open field often. He also has run ALOT better this year averaging over 5.5 yards per carry not to mention 8 touchdowns. He is the most explosive player on the field on that team BY FAR. Brees may be the MVP but if you take away Bush they become way easier to cover you don't have to put a defensive back on a running back when he isn't playing, makes it alot easier to defend the Saints without him in there. If CJ Spiller became anything like Bush I'd be so happy to land him. Chris Johnson is on a hole nother level being that he gets the ball a billion times a game, but people over rating Bush are not the smartest.

I guess I don't really know much then, because while Bush is a valuable part of the Saints offense (as I already said) he is not worth the first round selection that the Saints used to get him OR the first round contract he is currently earning. SO, the point is, if C.J. Spiller is going to be a good return man but only occassionally used in the offense (as Bush is in New Orleans), then we should not select him in the first round.