LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 211 users in the forums

***Webzone favorite*** Mike Iupati

Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
In an article I read today, scouts were asked which player at the Senior Bowl was the most likely to be a Pro-Bowler.... and the scouts voted for Iupati.

Once again, as I've advocated for some time now: Don't play games. Make the pick at 13, and then move onto the best OT at 16/17.

When was the last time this team had a Pro-Bowl offensive lineman? It's time that drought ends.

I just posted that article ahead of your post.. I am totally down with Iupati at #13.. and I don;t want to hear anymore of that value and guards can't be drafted that early crap.

I'm with you both. I'd hate to see this guy gone at 17; he's one of a kind. Whereas there will still be good tackle prospects there.

One thing is for sure, after watching pressure straight up the middle so many times (*cough*chilo!*cough*) and our complete inability to run the ball, how anyone, including McCloughan, could not put value on the guard position is beyond me.

I think it was Trent Green who said on NFLTA one time (paraphrased), "As a QB, you can accept pressure on the edges but pressure up the middle is devastating."
Originally posted by ghostrider:
In an article I read today, scouts were asked which player at the Senior Bowl was the most likely to be a Pro-Bowler.... and the scouts voted for Iupati.

Once again, as I've advocated for some time now: Don't play games. Make the pick at 13, and then move onto the best OT at 16/17.

When was the last time this team had a Pro-Bowl offensive lineman? It's time that drought ends.

I just posted that article ahead of your post.. I am totally down with Iupati at #13.. and I don;t want to hear anymore of that value and guards can't be drafted that early crap.

I'm with you both. I'd hate to see this guy gone at 17; he's one of a kind. Whereas there will still be good tackle prospects there.

One thing is for sure, after watching pressure straight up the middle so many times (*cough*chilo!*cough*) and our complete inability to run the ball, how anyone, including McCloughan, could not put value on the guard position is beyond me.

I think it was Trent Green who said on NFLTA one time (paraphrased), "As a QB, you can accept pressure on the edges but pressure up the middle is devastating."

You're not taking into account that both of our guards were in their first full years as starters. Now, either they just completely suck and should be banished from pro football forever, or they need more than 1 year to fully develop.

Trust me, as good as Iupati is (and there's no doubt he's a very good prospect), he's in for a rude awakening when he hits the field in his 1st real NFL game. Not just physically either, the mental/verbal side of things will cause his head to spin. He'll likely eventually settle down and be really good, but IMO, so will Baas and Rachal (which really is my point).
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 28, 2010 at 11:12 AM ]
Originally posted by wailers15:
Mike Iupati is getting the highest grades at the Senior Bowl so far. Infact they are saying he's the best OG in the last 2 years. I hope we jump on this cat. man we get him & a tackle we will solve our o-line play. let's go scotty!!!!!!

yeah, but remember everyone else is seeing these reports too. It's not only our board that he's rocketing up....

It seems that way with a lot of the zoners picks this year...maybe they should let us grade the draft. All the guys we like here are shooting up the draft board like crazy...

Hopefully we can land some of these guys. Pray for Rain!
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

You're not taking into account that both of our guards were in their first full years as starters. Now, either they just completely suck and should be banished from pro football forever, or they need more than 1 year to fully develop.

Trust me, as good as Iupati is (and there's no doubt he's a very good prospect), he's in for a rude awakening when he hits the field in his 1st real NFL game. Not just physically either, the mental/verbal side of things will cause his head to spin. He'll likely eventually settle down and be really good, but IMO, so will Baas and Rachal (which really is my point).

Rachal has some excuse but Baas has none. He's been in the league since '05.

But seriously, Rachal was baaaaad this year.

Edit... Also, I'm not advocating banishment but I think Baas is near his ceiling as a slightly below average guard and Rachal has not shown me anything to feel comfortable without having an alternative plan. Whether that plan is Iupati or another drafted player or a FA is debatable, but SOME contingency plan should be in place.
[ Edited by ghostrider on Jan 28, 2010 at 11:23 AM ]
Quote:
Mike Iupati of Idaho was the story of the week down here. His huge from with long arms has scouts wondering if he can move out to tackle. He struggled at left tackle yesterday, but he was moved to right tackle today, and it was really a night-and-day difference. He looked like a stud at right tackle, handling Arkansas State's Alex Carrington and showing the power and strength needed to hold up at the point of attack. Iupati's best fit is at guard, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was drafted to eventually develop into a right tackle.
[url=null]null[/url] Shawn Zobel - Iupati Scouting Report

I have been against the idea of drafting Iupati as a conversion project, and I still don't think that is a good idea. However, if the Niners draft a RT at 13, and for some reason that player busts (which would really suck), down the road, they could move Iupati over to OT as a plan B. With that much talent AND versatility, that sounds closer to a can't miss option.
Originally posted by Butter:
Quote:
Mike Iupati of Idaho was the story of the week down here. His huge from with long arms has scouts wondering if he can move out to tackle. He struggled at left tackle yesterday, but he was moved to right tackle today, and it was really a night-and-day difference. He looked like a stud at right tackle, handling Arkansas State's Alex Carrington and showing the power and strength needed to hold up at the point of attack. Iupati's best fit is at guard, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was drafted to eventually develop into a right tackle.
[url=null]null[/url] Shawn Zobel - Iupati Scouting Report

I have been against the idea of drafting Iupati as a conversion project, and I still don't think that is a good idea. However, if the Niners draft a RT at 13, and for some reason that player busts (which would really suck), down the road, they could move Iupati over to OT as a plan B. With that much talent AND versatility, that sounds closer to a can't miss option.

This is what I was waiting for: Can he play RT?

Absolultely!!!

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Mike Iupati (E-U-Pot-tee) - 6'6" 330 pounds - LG - Idaho

Watch 77 here:

Team Captain - Outland Trophy Watch List - Rotary Lombardi Watch List

Rivals.com first team all-conference

2008: Had off-season shoulder surgery ... returned to the lineup against Western Michigan ... went on to start eight of the 10 games in which he played.

2007: Cemented a starting role last spring and became in impact player on the line for the Vandals ... started all 12 games at left guard.

2006: Saw action in a backup role.

High school: Graduated from Anaheim’s Western High School in 2005 ... team captain ... earned all-state and all-conference honors ... also competed in wrestling and track.

Personal: Son of Belinda and Aposetolo Iupati ... born May 12, 1987 in American Samoa ... majoring in General Studies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's always favorites here on the Zone that always atract big discussions , I think its time we start identifying them. Past Webzone favorites:

Braylon Edwards
Aaron Rodgers
Reggie Bush
Vernon Davis
Michael Huff
Patrick Willis
Adam Carriker
Quentin Groves
Michael Crabtree
Michael Oher

We would have done well with Crabtree or Oher. Willis was certainly the right pick. Vernon Davis certainly was the right pick.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
Mike Iupati is getting the highest grades at the Senior Bowl so far. Infact they are saying he's the best OG in the last 2 years. I hope we jump on this cat. man we get him & a tackle we will solve our o-line play. let's go scotty!!!!!!

yeah, but remember everyone else is seeing these reports too. It's not only our board that he's rocketing up....

It seems that way with a lot of the zoners picks this year...maybe they should let us grade the draft. All the guys we like here are shooting up the draft board like crazy...

I peek in on other teams message boards at their mocks for their teams. After about 15, about 75% have Iupati at their first pick. Everyone wants this guy. Chances are GMs in that range have similar boards maybe?
Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:

I peek in on other teams message boards at their mocks for their teams. After about 15, about 75% have Iupati at their first pick. Everyone wants this guy. Chances are GMs in that range have similar boards maybe?

Excellent intel!!

That is my concern... that some team sitting behind us might really have their eye on Iupati and trade up ahead of us at 16/17 to get him. Even the Seahawks or Giants at 14 and 15 might snag him.

That's why I say we grab Iupati at #13 and take our chances from there. If some team jumps us at #13 then oh well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhVxlK5cS8E&feature=player_embedded

look good a damn.. we should grab him at 13#

So what's the plan? We give up on Chilo Rachal after 1 1/2 seasons? Or we pretend that David Baas allowed a bunch of sacks last year?

What story are we going to have to make up in order to justify losing another chance at a fantastic RT?

Are we trying to win football games or build a toy chest with a bunch of our favorite action figures?

It seems to me some on this board would be just as happy if they could have Iupati stuffed and posed in their living room more than winning football games.

Without a RT, our quarterback has NO TIME. With Superman playing LG and a poor RT, our quarterback has NO TIME.

The question is do we want our quarterback to have TIME or not? Drafting action hero's simply because they can leap tall buildings in a single bound is not how you build a winning football team.

Will two Larry Allen's at guard give our quarterback TIME with poor RT play? NO.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
I swear people must not actually pay attention to the line. If you've got the games on DVR go back and watch Rachal in the last half of the season--it's like a different player stepped on the field. Something clicked for Rachal and he figured things out. I really think he'll be a mainstay on that side for us.

yeah I think chilo and bass (if we keeep him) will pan out, snyder is the one who needs replacing!
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by maximill15:

yeah I think chilo and bass (if we keeep him) will pan out, snyder is the one who needs replacing!

As bad as Chilo was I still think he can be a capable starter at RG.

As for Iupati, I'd rather play him at LG. Then get an OT at 16/17 or vice versa. He could probably be a good RT but I'm just not a huge fan of changing guys positions.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We would have done well with Crabtree or Oher. Willis was certainly the right pick. Vernon Davis certainly was the right pick.

Disagree, in hindsight VD was not the right pick. 3 years of mediocre production from a guy picked 6th overall is not what you hope your investment returns. We needed better production and with a better character and attitude. Had VD played the way he did in the 2nd half of this year during his first 3 years then I'd be inclined to agree.

Haloti Ngata would have been the right pick considering Sopoaga and Franklin's overall production during those 3 years. Ngata would have given us an instant starter from day 1 on the DL either at nose or end.
Share 49ersWebzone