There are 205 users in the forums

***Webzone favorite*** Mike Iupati

Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Take him with our first pick, then Bulaga with our second pick. Just to play it safe.

If we took Iupati and either Williams or Bulaga in the first (in any order), I would be THRILLED.

Then we can address our other needs with FA and our other picks. There are likely to be great values in the second and third rounds at pass rusher and secondary and no need we have is more critical than fixing the Oline.

If Gore can rush for over 1,000 yards with our bad/inconsistent o-line, can you imagine how much more productive he'll be if he add maulers like Iupati and Bulaga? I'm just hoping that the FO is thinking the same thing.

Maybe Scotty should secretly troll the board to develop his draft stratgies..

Good thing he doesn't though. He would've lost his job already for drafting Carriker, Groves, and Gabe Watson.

LOL..

I guess it would have depended whose advise he followed..

I preferred:

Willis to Carriker
Jackson or Groves over Balmer ( nobody talked about him very much)

I don't remember Watson at all, was he a Webzone rockstar??
Take him with our first pick, then Bulaga with our second pick. Just to play it safe.

If we took Iupati and either Williams or Bulaga in the first (in any order), I would be THRILLED.

Then we can address our other needs with FA and our other picks. There are likely to be great values in the second and third rounds at pass rusher and secondary and no need we have is more critical than fixing the Oline.

If Gore can rush for over 1,000 yards with our bad/inconsistent o-line, can you imagine how much more productive he'll be if he add maulers like Iupati and Bulaga? I'm just hoping that the FO is thinking the same thing.

Good thing he doesn't though. He would've lost his job already for drafting Carriker, Groves, and Gabe Watson.

LOL..

I preferred:

Willis to Carriker

My bad, not Watson... Alan Branch. Branch was looking like our sure-thing 3-4 DE that would end up being the centerpeice of our defense. He fell to #32 to Arizona. Actually, his draft rollercoaster was similar to Balmer's. Many people had Balmer in the top-15.

I would've went:

'06: Hawk (over Vernon), I agreed with Lawson. I though he'd be a stud.

'07: Willis (over Carriker)

'08: Kenny Phillips (over Balmer) and Groves or Eddie Royal in the 2nd (no one had Chilo on their radar)

'09: Crabtree was a no-brainer and my favorite player in the draft

LOL..

I preferred:

Willis to Carriker

My bad, not Watson... Alan Branch. Branch was looking like our sure-thing 3-4 DE that would end up being the centerpeice of our defense. He fell to #32 to Arizona. Actually, his draft rollercoaster was similar to Balmer's. Many people had Balmer in the top-15.

I would've went:

'08: Kenny Phillips (over Balmer) and Groves or Eddie Royal in the 2nd (no one had Chilo on their radar)

You would chose Groves or Eddie Royal over Desean Jackson? Really?
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
How can you forget Desean Jackson. I'm still pissed we passed on him.
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
this guys is a fcking beast ! draft him with our 1st 1st !

He is damn good a football and didn't allow a sack! Wow.. I feel it that Iupati is very good a football..

improving...
Draft him and change him to DE haha
Originally posted by DarthNiner:

LOL..

I preferred:

Willis to Carriker

I would've went:

I liked Jackson, especially as a returner, but his size concerned me. I thought Royal was the perfect weapon for Martz's offense. Martz relies on quick slants and a shifty slot WR to make his system go. Royal could've been that guy, while doubling as a returner, if needed.

Our pass rush has bothered me for years. I thought Groves was going to be a beast as a rush LB. Actually, I still think he could be good.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:

LOL..

I preferred:

Willis to Carriker

I would've went:

I liked Jackson, especially as a returner, but his size concerned me. I thought Royal was the perfect weapon for Martz's offense. Martz relies on quick slants and a shifty slot WR to make his system go. Royal could've been that guy, while doubling as a returner, if needed.

Our pass rush has bothered me for years. I thought Groves was going to be a beast as a rush LB. Actually, I still think he could be good.

You must be reading my mind.. Those were my thoughts exactly.
Originally posted by BrianUKNiner:
Kory Sheets
Mike Reilly
Nate Davis

Was Nate Davis really a webzone favorite before the draft? I kept hearing people call him garbage because of his last 2 games at Ball State. And once we drafted him, i still thought people hated the pick. It wasnt until he started showing what he had in preseason that people started showing him love. That's just what i remember, but maybe you all could tell me better.
Fron what i can recall, there weren't a whole lot of people at the Zone who
talked about N.Davis being drafted by the Niner's. However a lot of people liked him being picked up in he 5th round, and generally agreed with his selection once it happened.

Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by BrianUKNiner:
Kory Sheets
Mike Reilly
Nate Davis

Was Nate Davis really a webzone favorite before the draft? I kept hearing people call him garbage because of his last 2 games at Ball State. And once we drafted him, i still thought people hated the pick. It wasnt until he started showing what he had in preseason that people started showing him love. That's just what i remember, but maybe you all could tell me better.

I was always a big fan and I think it was simply because ESPN showed his games so often. He is fun to watch QB and really has the "it" factor. Additionally, he looks like a perfect QB for a run oriented ball control offense and has a great personal story. I like rooting for him.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by crzy:
How can you forget Desean Jackson. I'm still pissed we passed on him.

Don't recall him being a Webzone favorite, but a few liked him on here but not as a 1st round pick. Quentin Groves was more of a favorite, since we were desperately looking for someone on the other side of Manny.
I hope we do go for at least 3 OL. I am uncomfortable with McCloughan and Singletary in their laziness or incompetence in that they both seem ill prepared for what ifs like Iupati is their choice and is taken but are not prepared for sound alternatives.
Both these guys seem to be the types caught with their shorts down in a forest fire or in the pen with a gorilla named Brutus.
Mike Iupati is getting the highest grades at the Senior Bowl so far. Infact they are saying he's the best OG in the last 2 years. I hope we jump on this cat. man we get him & a tackle we will solve our o-line play. let's go scotty!!!!!!
Even if the Niners trade down a few spots or to the mid 20's they can grab Iupati. I know I will catch heat for saying that but 16/17 is too high for a Guard. Why not grab an extra 2nd or 3rd and move down.
Share 49ersWebzone