There are 80 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

***Webzone favorite*** Mike Iupati

• mayo49
  • Veteran
We'll need him against the Rams if they draft that man named Suh.
we should take him 13 overall and start him at RG.
i like the way baas finished the season, and i'm really starting to believe his foot injury
was a major factor in the OL play during the 1st half of the season.
i hope we extend him. chilo can develop as depth i hope.
hopefully we can figure something out with pashos,
cuz i'd hate to start next year with a rookie RG AND a rookie RT,
and if we follow up iupati with a RT at 16/17 you're really hoping to get a starter...
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erHIGH:
i like the way baas finished the season, and i'm really starting to believe his foot injury
and if we follow up iupati with a RT at 16/17 you're really hoping to get a starter...

I think we can still get Iupati at #16, we need to get our RT at #13 because Seattle will take a Tackle at #14.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by BrianUKNiner:
Kory Sheets
Mike Reilly
Nate Davis

I meant more of the likes of potential 1st rounders. But yah those were some favorites too.

How about Eddie Royal??? I was on that bandwagon.
Everytime I see the Jets play, I think we should go all out and draft Olineman. Iupati is worth an early 1st. In hindsight, would it really matter if we drafted him #13 instead of #16/17? If we draft an OT at #13 and Iupati is gone before our second pick, we'd be kicking ourselves in the ass if he turns out to be an elite, ProBowl OG, especially if our OT isn't spectacular.

IMO, we should draft him at #13 if he's still there. We'll probably resign Pashos to start at RT anyway. I expect that Baas will be back as well. We could always find a RT to groom behind Pashos with another pick. Iupati looks like a can't-miss prospect. I know the 13th pick is very early for an OG, but he's a rare find.

Don't forget that we selected a TE at #6. I wouldn't be surprised to see Iupati get drafted much earlier than expected. If a prospect has rare physical talents, teams will reach.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by strickac:
Everytime I see the Jets play, I think we should go all out and draft Olineman. Iupati is worth an early 1st. In hindsight, would it really matter if we drafted him #13 instead of #16/17? If we draft an OT at #13 and Iupati is gone before our second pick, we'd be kicking ourselves in the ass if he turns out to be an elite, ProBowl OG, especially if our OT isn't spectacular.

IMO, we should draft him at #13 if he's still there. We'll probably resign Pashos to start at RT anyway. I expect that Baas will be back as well. We could always find a RT to groom behind Pashos with another pick. Iupati looks like a can't-miss prospect. I know the 13th pick is very early for an OG, but he's a rare find.

Don't forget that we selected a TE at #6. I wouldn't be surprised to see Iupati get drafted much earlier than expected. If a prospect has rare physical talents, teams will reach.

Whether it's #13 or#16 the point is to get him.
I think C. J. Spiller goes on this year's list of Webzone favorites.
Originally posted by GoFD74:
I remember the Pat Sims lovefest around here.

And Quinton Grooves.
Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by 9erHIGH:

I think we can still get Iupati at #16, we need to get our RT at #13 because Seattle will take a Tackle at #14.

I thought about this last night. It seems we are primed and almost certain to land a quality OT to play ROT for us next year whether at #13 or #16/17. I honestly believe that Williams will be compared to the other OT prospects as LOT. The others may jump ahead of him as a result especially Campbell, Davis, and Bulaga, maybe even Iupati.

That bodes well for us as we need a ROT where Williams did his best. I believe he will be there at #13. I don't think Iupati will because of Seattle. If Seattle picks that QB with there first, no doubt they will want a LT. Iupati would go as a LOT...above Williams, IMO, if and only if they look at him as a LT.

Still fellas, we have a great shot at two immediate impact players on this team. I just hope, like the rest of you, that it starts with two OLs! Then take the BRSA in the second who could also play as a WR, RB or CB who would go in the late first in most other drafts. Then, BPA the rest of the way!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Guilty!!!

But I remember people drilling me saying he won't be around in the 2nd!!!

Guilty!!!

He came on pretty strong the last few games of the year. He'll probably never put up big numbers, but he was a big part of helping the Bengals shut down the run inside. He'll be a good player for them. I expect that he'll beat out Tank Johnson next year and team up with Peko inside. For a 3rd round pick, he's good value.

Guilty!!!

He came on pretty strong the last few games of the year. He'll probably never put up big numbers, but he was a big part of helping the Bengals shut down the run inside. He'll be a good player for them. I expect that he'll beat out Tank Johnson next year and team up with Peko inside. For a 3rd round pick, he's good value.

Better value than say... Kentwan Balmer in round 1
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Guilty!!!

Better value than say... Kentwan Balmer in round 1

That remains to be seen. Balmer was very raw coming out, which is why he "fell" compared to most draft projections. He's shown flashes and he's still very young. 3-4 DE is a tough position. Tyson Jackson didn't exactly set the world on fire either.
I think the Draft Board is ahead of the curve for the interest in Iupati. Coaches, fans, teams will begin to drool more and more over his potential for their team as the draft gets closer.

Big guys simply do not move this well. He is really a unique player, someone that has Pro-Bowl written all over him.

Watch his knee bend. Very unusual. Most guards are waist benders who are often off balance.
Take him with our first pick, then Bulaga with our second pick. Just to play it safe.