LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 174 users in the forums

***Webzone favorite*** Mike Iupati

Originally posted by Schulzy:
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
The bottom line is you don't spend your 13th or 16/17th pick on a one dimensional left guard. You just don't do it. The VALUE isn't there with Iupati.

Then are you in favor of spending at first round pick on a situational running back?

Situational? I assume you are referring to cj spiller? I would love for us to draft spiller because i feel he is more than a "situational" 3rd down back. He's a return man and can line up in the slot as well as carry the ball 20-25 time a game. He could eventually replace gore in 2-3 yrs. All of that is not "situational".

With all of that being said, i think we could get better value for that type of back with best or mccluster in the 2nd round.
Originally posted by Schulzy:

Then are you in favor of spending at first round pick on a situational running back?
pouncey in the 2nd round and a OT in the first, then a spiller/olb/db with the other first-rounder...you can also take ducasse, who can play guard and right tackle, too.
we dont have to draft a guard in the first round.
Oh, hell yes I was disappointed because I was hoping he could translate what he learned in practice onto the field. After rewatching the game slowly, I see technique issues especially at RG. However, that technique is very raw and can be coached especially to make the move to tackle.

Still, I saw his dominance at LG many times in the game and in practice. Guys have bad games. I expect them to have inconsistent games especially after learning a new position.

Inconsistent in the game. Talent in abundance. Best OG prospect in years. Ability to transition to OT.

Still a top twenty pick.

Guys like him don't come around that often no matter how poorly he did in ONE game in his FIRST attempt against higher, quality talent.

Still, top 20!

Of course, in my humble opinion...
Originally posted by ninertico:
Oh, hell yes I was disappointed because I was hoping he could translate what he learned in practice onto the field. After rewatching the game slowly, I see technique issues especially at RG. However, that technique is very raw and can be coached especially to make the move to tackle.

Still, I saw his dominance at LG many times in the game and in practice. Guys have bad games. I expect them to have inconsistent games especially after learning a new position.

Inconsistent in the game. Talent in abundance. Best OG prospect in years. Ability to transition to OT.

Still a top twenty pick.

Guys like him don't come around that often no matter how poorly he did in ONE game in his FIRST attempt against higher, quality talent.

Still, top 20!

I agree with you. A lot of people in here like to jump the gun after one game just because he wasn't throwing people around with ease. If we select him, he won't be thrown at RT, he will play at LG where he is dominant and where he could replace Baas whose future with the team is uncertain.
Originally posted by SF69ers:

Still a top twenty pick.

Still, top 20!

I agree with you. A lot of people in here like to jump the gun after one game just because he wasn't throwing people around with ease. If we select him, he won't be thrown at RT, he will play at LG where he is dominant and where he could replace Baas whose future with the team is uncertain.

That is exactly the way I am spinning it, too. I see Baas' replacement in this year's quality OG draft with Ducasse, Asamoah, Johnson, Petrus and now Jerry in the same conversation.

Here's another thought: Are some of these top OGs going to fall like last years like "Duke" Robinson and Herman Johnson from the second round?
Originally posted by SF69ers:

Still a top twenty pick.

Still, top 20!

That is exactly the way I am spinning it, too. I see Baas' replacement in this year's quality OG draft with Ducasse, Asamoah, Johnson, Petrus and now Jerry in the same conversation.

Here's another thought: Are some of these top OGs going to fall like last years like "Duke" Robinson and Herman Johnson from the second round?

A lot of these guards not named Iupati will be available in the 2nd/3rd round. It's how they show their technique and footwork in the combine that determines the actual range. If John Jerry practices at RT too, his value goes way up.
I think a simpler question to assess Iupati is this: Is he an upgrade over our current LG David Baas. The answer is a resounding yes.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
As I've already confessed I do not follow college football, but with all the hype surrounding Iupati and our 2 high first round picks I took time out today to watch the Sr. Bowl.

Here are my observations on Iupati.

He was OWNED by Atkins ( That kid looked impressive)

It seemed like he really struggled against speed players, but faired well against anyone who just tried to bull rush him. Guys with good technique or a game like Ray Macdonald would destroy him.

He doesn't punch the defender off the line, he just tries to push them which eventually leads to holding.

His hand technique made his foot work look like he was Muhammed Ali and thats not good. No way in hell this kid could move to the OT spot.

I was so unimpressed that I hope the Niners dont draft him even if he fell to the second round.

Sure this is one game, but from what I saw he is far to raw and size alone wont make up for his lack skill.

P.S. I dont blame Davis for taking so long to develop. We just finally have someone that knows how to use him.

Hmm... I've been arguing against Iupati at 13, but not 16/17 for a while.

But to me, he was very impressive in the Senior Bowl game. He was responsible for several long runs and looked not only strong but lighting quick.

But again, I don't think he is polished enough to risk losing a top RT at 13.

Wow.....if you said he was Ok I would understand, but to describe him as "impressive" is mind boggling. I usually agree with most everything you post, but I can't imagine our opinions on Iupati being further apart.

By "mind boggling" I mean how we could see so diffrent, not that your dead wrong and I'm so right.

I understand what you mean, but I think we are thinking differently.

I am not personally looking at consistency from a player at an All-Star type of game. I am looking more at what they are capable of. Iupati looked raw and caught off guard at times yes, (don't forget, Staley allowed two sacks in the Senior Bowl) but he was also single handedly IMO responsible for several long runs, including a long touchdown run where he dominated two players, and shot to the second level like a running back.

Larry Allen wasn't perfect out of college, that's why he went in the second round, but his raw talent was still apparent. Of course, I'm the one who didn't want to compare Iupati to Larry Allen in the first place, but the point is, I think his raw talent stood out strong on many plays.

Also, people like to think that you can move players around, and they will perform the same, but you usually can't. Iupati played LG in school, and he struggled at any position they tried to plug him in OTHER then LG during Senior Bowl week. If you just evaluate his play at LG, he was impressive IMO. LG and RG are DIFFERENT positions. Its not like a WR or a RB who you toss around anywhere; one must consider balance, muscle memory and coordination; if those things are programmed for LG, then its not always easy to shift gears in a single week. ALL of his college starts were at LG.

I don't think he should be taken at 13, but I also don't think inconsistency at a college All-Star game should drop his stock dramatically. I'd be happy with him at 16/17 if a player like Spiller was no longer available.

Very logical response. Thanks. Because I dont watch college I dont know how critially to judge first round prospects. However, if I was a GM I would never use a first round pick at any slot to pick a player that clearly doesn't have the fudamentals of his position down and played at a relatively small school. Iupati just seems to be too much of a project for a first round pick.

P.S. Everyone talks about his long arms, but is that really a good thing for a guard? In close combat isn't that a disadvantage, like boxing?

Why don't you think he has the fundamentals of his position down? His position is LG. I didn't see one play at LG that would lead me to believe he didn't understand his position.

Ever try driving a car with the steering wheel on the right side? It can throw you for a loop if you're not used to it.

Where did you hear that long arms were a disadvantage in boxing? That sounds almost impossible. Unless your arms are 18ft long and you can't lift them, I can't imagine how long arms could ever be a disadvantage.
As long as you have correct technique and you are strong enough, long arms should always be an advantage in any sport.
As I've already confessed I do not follow college football, but with all the hype surrounding Iupati and our 2 high first round picks I took time out today to watch the Sr. Bowl.

It seemed like he really struggled against speed players, but faired well against anyone who just tried to bull rush him. Guys with good technique or a game like Ray Macdonald would destroy him.

He doesn't punch the defender off the line, he just tries to push them which eventually leads to holding.

His hand technique made his foot work look like he was Muhammed Ali and thats not good. No way in hell this kid could move to the OT spot.

I was so unimpressed that I hope the Niners dont draft him even if he fell to the second round.

Sure this is one game, but from what I saw he is far to raw and size alone wont make up for his lack skill.

P.S. I dont blame Davis for taking so long to develop. We just finally have someone that knows how to use him.

But to me, he was very impressive in the Senior Bowl game. He was responsible for several long runs and looked not only strong but lighting quick.

Wow.....if you said he was Ok I would understand, but to describe him as "impressive" is mind boggling. I usually agree with most everything you post, but I can't imagine our opinions on Iupati being further apart.

By "mind boggling" I mean how we could see so diffrent, not that your dead wrong and I'm so right.

I am not personally looking at consistency from a player at an All-Star type of game. I am looking more at what they are capable of. Iupati looked raw and caught off guard at times yes, (don't forget, Staley allowed two sacks in the Senior Bowl) but he was also single handedly IMO responsible for several long runs, including a long touchdown run where he dominated two players, and shot to the second level like a running back.

Larry Allen wasn't perfect out of college, that's why he went in the second round, but his raw talent was still apparent. Of course, I'm the one who didn't want to compare Iupati to Larry Allen in the first place, but the point is, I think his raw talent stood out strong on many plays.

Also, people like to think that you can move players around, and they will perform the same, but you usually can't. Iupati played LG in school, and he struggled at any position they tried to plug him in OTHER then LG during Senior Bowl week. If you just evaluate his play at LG, he was impressive IMO. LG and RG are DIFFERENT positions. Its not like a WR or a RB who you toss around anywhere; one must consider balance, muscle memory and coordination; if those things are programmed for LG, then its not always easy to shift gears in a single week. ALL of his college starts were at LG.

I don't think he should be taken at 13, but I also don't think inconsistency at a college All-Star game should drop his stock dramatically. I'd be happy with him at 16/17 if a player like Spiller was no longer available.

Very logical response. Thanks. Because I dont watch college I dont know how critially to judge first round prospects. However, if I was a GM I would never use a first round pick at any slot to pick a player that clearly doesn't have the fudamentals of his position down and played at a relatively small school. Iupati just seems to be too much of a project for a first round pick.

P.S. Everyone talks about his long arms, but is that really a good thing for a guard? In close combat isn't that a disadvantage, like boxing?

Why don't you think he has the fundamentals of his position down? His position is LG. I didn't see one play at LG that would lead me to believe he didn't understand his position.

Ever try driving a car with the steering wheel on the right side? It can throw you for a loop if you're not used to it.

Where did you hear that long arms were a disadvantage in boxing? That sounds almost impossible. Unless your arms are 18ft long and you can't lift them, I can't imagine how long arms could ever be a disadvantage.
As long as you have correct technique and you are strong enough, long arms should always be an advantage in any sport.

Having longer arms means he can engage the block even before the defender can lock onto him. I'm using this example as an exaggeration, but imagine you (a grown adult) blocking a 10-year old. Let's say for arguements sake that strength are both the same. But the fact that you can get your hands on him first means you get to control where you are going to push him. With his short arms, he might not even be able to engage (clutch) on you and you can totally dominate the match up.
Now McShay has Iupati at #17...

..and he didn't like him before the Senior Bowl. My, things have changed. Take a look at his new board on the right...Davis and Bulaga are now #1 and #2 OT respectively with Okung being #3!

We kind of thought that Davis would jump right up there, but Bulaga too. Nice! It certainly looks like we have some nice options at OT at least. Can you imagine if we only had two OTs in the first!

PS DANG!!!! 10 underclassmen in the top 12!!!
[ Edited by ninertico on Feb 2, 2010 at 4:52 PM ]

Your first sentence I put in bold is just not true. Mayock pointed out when he was playing LG that he was still holding a lot. Even on the block on the defender in the second level that help spring the RB for a touchdown Mayock mentioned it. Secondly, the guy had ZERO punch off the line regardless if he was RG or LG. Thats pretty fundamental. So I really dont know you mean unless your just playing like you dont know what I'm talking about so I have to explain myself.

As far as boxing goes. In close quarters long arms are not an advantage.

MY computer is about to crash. I'll pick this up later.

Your first sentence I put in bold is just not true. Mayock pointed out when he was playing LG that he was still holding a lot. Even on the block on the defender in the second level that help spring the RB for a touchdown Mayock mentioned it. Secondly, the guy had ZERO punch off the line regardless if he was RG or LG. Thats pretty fundamental. So I really dont know you mean unless your just playing like you dont know what I'm talking about so I have to explain myself.

True long arms are a disadvantage in boxing when in CLOSE quarters. You have to think of it like doing a bench press. Generally guys with longer arms are unable to push as much weight because they naturally have a longer distance to push.

Long arms are good in boxing, as well as playing OT, because they keep the defender further away from you. The idea is not to let them get in close. Also, you'll hear a lot of scouts (when talking about guards) say he's great in a phone booth. Meaning of course that he's good in close quarters. He's able to keep you in close, because DT's are the closer to the OG's than DE's are to OT's.

You want your OG's to have strength and stability. OT's to have agility and length.
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:

True long arms are a disadvantage in boxing when in CLOSE quarters. You have to think of it like doing a bench press. Generally guys with longer arms are unable to push as much weight because they naturally have a longer distance to push.

Long arms are good in boxing, as well as playing OT, because they keep the defender further away from you. The idea is not to let them get in close. Also, you'll hear a lot of scouts (when talking about guards) say he's great in a phone booth. Meaning of course that he's good in close quarters. He's able to keep you in close, because DT's are the closer to the OG's than DE's are to OT's.

You want your OG's to have strength and stability. OT's to have agility and length.

Without going into the laws of physics that pretty much somes it up.

The idea of Iupati becoming our RT should be discussed as he will be looked as such by many teams in need of a RT/OG. We are one of them.

Do you think he is worth it if Solari and Brown can mold him at RT? He could man that side and have the versatility to move to LOG once Baas leaves. Then we slip Alex Boone in...lol.

Seriously, we have some options with him on our team.

Let's put it this way. Who would you want, Williams or Iupati because those will be the two OLs available when we pick, IMO.

The big question and the one McC and Singletary will mull over is: "Can Iupati play RT at an NFL level?"

Well, what do you think? Can he?

Still a top twenty pick.

Still, top 20!

Tico,

You are spot on, 100% correct. Pay no attention to the ignorant and ill informed masses.

I hope we draft him... if we don't, he'll become a pro bowler with some other team and everyone around here will regret not having drafted him.
Share 49ersWebzone