Originally posted by nj49erfan:
Originally posted by genus49:
How the hell can you not like Haden?
To each is own I guess but Clements won't always be here. If Haden falls he'd be a very good pick.
1. Taylor Mays - I don't want us to even look at his name in the first round. The guy is all hype and didn't even have a good year, notably after 3 linebackers that played in front of him last year all went early in the draft last year and 2 were DROY candidates(1 won)
2. CJ Spiller - I know the webzone has the hots for him but I can't stand drafting backups in the first round. There are guys with similar skill sets available later in the draft
3. Tim Tebow - I don't want QB in the first no matter which it is but I could at least talk myself into liking the pick if it was one of the other guys. Tim is just too big a risk and not one we can take with so many other needs.
No one in this draft has similar skill sets. This kid is dynamic, fast and can play three different roles (RB/KR/WR) a la percy harvin except better natural runner. You should never leave talen on the board to tyr and fill a need. Bets player available and if he is on the board at 13 no way he wont be the best player availiable. Besdie not a back up when you are the starting kr/pr/third down back.
Anyway here is my three:
- Mike Iupati, Offensive Guard, Idaho. He's not a tackle and you shouldnt draft guards this high in round 1. Too many other needs.
- Earl Thomas, S, Texas. He's just not something we need right now. Goldson is developing fine. If anything we need a hard hitting back up SS and a good cover CB to take M. Lewis out on passing downs.
- Any OLB. Yeah i said it. We need offesne in Round 1. Thats why its got to be Spiller and an RT. Our defense is good. With the depth at QB, D-Line, Saftey and O-line there will be a solid pass rushing talent in Round 2 when we pick. Our defense was ranked 7th and our O was like 27th. Two first rounders need to be O!!!!!!!!!!!!
DAFT CJ SPILLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This alone tells me all i need to know about your opinion.
You draft talent. We're not picking in the top 10. If you can get a stud at an important position you do it. It doesn't matter if he's a guard or not. The fact that you don't want us to take probably the best guard prospect to come into the draft since Hutchinson shows you either have no idea what you're talking about or you've never seen the guy play before.
As for your no OLB comment that's just straight up ignorant. If they feel the best player on the board is an OLB they should take him because we certainly need the help there. Our pass rush was incredibly inconsistent and that needs to change. You can't ignore the defense just because the offense wasn't up to par. You take the best players who help your team on either side.
And it's BS that there are no guys who provide what Spiller does. The guy will not be a full time running back in the NFL. Everyone wants to point to Chris Johnson and figures Spiller because he's fast is the next guy.
I don't want to get into this again because it's like beating a dead horse but we have a 1000 yard rusher who with a good OL can be even better. There is no reason to draft a backup to him with a top 15 pick. That's a luxury pick and one we can't make.
Oh and while we're at it...while I don't want to spend a first rounder on a safety Earl Thomas is a very good one.
edit: forgot to mention a pr/kr/3rd down rb is not a starter. A return guy can be taken out of the game as easily as kicking the ball away from him. And a 3rd down rb needs to be a good blocker not just someone who can catch the ball.
Dexter McCluster can do all that as well as Spiller. He may not run the 40 as fast but his game speed is very quick and he actually runs tougher than Spiller even though he's smaller.
[ Edited by genus49 on Jan 10, 2010 at 17:56:29 ]