LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 242 users in the forums

Celebrate: A New OTC Mock is Here.

Originally posted by rtj03:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The quality and value of the picks are outstanding. Here are some of my thoughts.

I am going to go off the main road, and some of you will think I have completely lost it, but to me, I'm throwing down my first pick in the first round on Mike Iupati. To me, he's Pro-Bowl material, and whether we draft him to play LG or RT, I don't care.

So, for me, as much as it seems crazy to go in the reverse order, I'd select Iupati first. To me, he is the best OL in this draft. I do like Williams a lot, there is no doubt, at RT. I just wouldn't take the risk that someone else might "reach" for Iupati.

I have no issue with the Niners spending both first rounders on OL. No problem at all. Your second rounder also makes a ton of sense. I like Jones as well, and think he's got a tremendous future in the NFL. I have every respect for Michael Lewis. He's one of the more underappreciated players on our squad. However, when concussions begin to mount, the writing is on the wall.

As for your third rounder, there is great value in Schofield, but I'd be shocked to see the team go that direction. I think they are pleased with their three OLB's, and with Briggs as a developmental player. Plus, the team needs to fill two positions with this pick, CB and a PR. Since there should be some available guys that fit that bill, I expect the Niners to head that direction.

As for their fourth rounder, Carter is a terrific college player. I'm not sure the Niners would make that pick, unless they simply do not have confidence in Rachal. I still think they are unsettled at the Ted position, and although they like McKillop as a special teamer (he was outstanding), they didn't seem to be as high on him as a contributor on defense. Maybe the Niners draft another ILB.

From the fifth on, it is purely value selections, and the guys you highlighted are solid selections. Maybe they go for a smaller school WR to be their 5th WR and return kickoffs, another NT or DE, and a FB.

I'd be pleased if the team selected one of the top FB's in this draft as a long-term solution to Norris.

If the team made your selections, I'd take the picks and run, with a smile on my face. At the same time, I think I would go a slightly different direction with some of those mid-rounders.

I agree with this 100%. Iupati FIRST. I am starting to believe that somebody will reach for him and I hope we are the ones.

I dont like Williams at all. He's not nasty and has no motor. I would rather have one of the other tackles! I feel he is very over rated.

Iupati wouldn't be a reach.

Williams doesnt' excite me as much as the other guys but he's lower on my list because I don't think he'd make a good LT in the pros. However I think he would be a very good RT so I don't mind taking him.

I agree if I was the niners GM I would take Iupati first but if we're making mock drafts whichever order we take them in I don't care...as long as we get them both.

In the ideal world I would like to see Anthony Davis slide to 13 and we grab him there and then Iupati at 17.

That actually just gave me a boner thinking about the improvement in the run blocking.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I'd rather get a profilic pass rusher than a guard with our 2nd first rounder. Quality interior lineman can be had at any time in the draft.

Not at Iupati's level. Iupati may be the best prospect we've seen in the past decade. BPA, my friend.

Iupati grades out higher then Spiller?

Talking only about Guards.

But you pointed out BPA, which goes back to my question doesn't Spiller grade out higher? I have no issues with Iupati and like the pick but BPA is BPA.

I don't think Spiller will be graded higher than Trent Williams by Scot, which is why I don't have him being selected at #13 -- And I don't think he will last to our next pick. If he's not drafted before #13 by some other team, Seattle will likely take him at #14.

I think Seattle goes QB and OT with their 1st rounders. The Seahawks OL is in shambles..
We're drafting 2 guards and a tackle with our first 5 picks? wow...

Trent Williams likely did better on the right side because he didn't have face the opposing teams' best pass rusher as often. So sure, he played better on a line with Phil Loadholt and Duke Robinson, but as the team's best Offensive lineman facing the best pass rusher, he hardly impressed to be a top 15 pick. He gives up pressure/sacks and is involved in far too many penalties. Furthermore, if Trent Williams isn't versatile enough to play any position besides RT, that further affects his value as a top pick. Sorry, I just don't see it. He's overrated. But I suppose that might not necessarily stop the 49ers.
  • hcniner64
  • Info N/A
I love this draft, especially the first round. Picking up 2 of probably the top 5 lineman in the draft would sure up our offensive line for years to come. We already have solid young skill players in crabtree, davis, and say what you want about smith hes our best option at qb for 2010.

With this draft the offensive line would go from one of our greatest weaknesses to one our our greatest strengths. Would remind me of when the jets took ferguson/mangold and look at the o-line they have now, one of the best in the nfl. If you want to be a good offense you need to have a good offensive line.

With this potential of an offensive line it would be nearly impossible not to be a top 15 if not top 10 offense in the nfl. With the defense we already have which should be improved through the draft/fa this would make us favorites for the nfc west.

Bottom line get this done. I love it.
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by rtj03:
The quality and value of the picks are outstanding. Here are some of my thoughts.

I am going to go off the main road, and some of you will think I have completely lost it, but to me, I'm throwing down my first pick in the first round on Mike Iupati. To me, he's Pro-Bowl material, and whether we draft him to play LG or RT, I don't care.

So, for me, as much as it seems crazy to go in the reverse order, I'd select Iupati first. To me, he is the best OL in this draft. I do like Williams a lot, there is no doubt, at RT. I just wouldn't take the risk that someone else might "reach" for Iupati.

I have no issue with the Niners spending both first rounders on OL. No problem at all. Your second rounder also makes a ton of sense. I like Jones as well, and think he's got a tremendous future in the NFL. I have every respect for Michael Lewis. He's one of the more underappreciated players on our squad. However, when concussions begin to mount, the writing is on the wall.

As for your third rounder, there is great value in Schofield, but I'd be shocked to see the team go that direction. I think they are pleased with their three OLB's, and with Briggs as a developmental player. Plus, the team needs to fill two positions with this pick, CB and a PR. Since there should be some available guys that fit that bill, I expect the Niners to head that direction.

As for their fourth rounder, Carter is a terrific college player. I'm not sure the Niners would make that pick, unless they simply do not have confidence in Rachal. I still think they are unsettled at the Ted position, and although they like McKillop as a special teamer (he was outstanding), they didn't seem to be as high on him as a contributor on defense. Maybe the Niners draft another ILB.

From the fifth on, it is purely value selections, and the guys you highlighted are solid selections. Maybe they go for a smaller school WR to be their 5th WR and return kickoffs, another NT or DE, and a FB.

I'd be pleased if the team selected one of the top FB's in this draft as a long-term solution to Norris.

If the team made your selections, I'd take the picks and run, with a smile on my face. At the same time, I think I would go a slightly different direction with some of those mid-rounders.

I agree with this 100%. Iupati FIRST. I am starting to believe that somebody will reach for him and I hope we are the ones.

I dont like Williams at all. He's not nasty and has no motor. I would rather have one of the other tackles! I feel he is very over rated.

Iupati wouldn't be a reach.

Williams doesnt' excite me as much as the other guys but he's lower on my list because I don't think he'd make a good LT in the pros. However I think he would be a very good RT so I don't mind taking him.

I agree if I was the niners GM I would take Iupati first but if we're making mock drafts whichever order we take them in I don't care...as long as we get them both.

In the ideal world I would like to see Anthony Davis slide to 13 and we grab him there and then Iupati at 17.

That actually just gave me a boner thinking about the improvement in the run blocking.

I thought the same thing about Iupati, I have a feeling we have to pull the trigger with the first pick. Also, we should have Pashos around to plug in at right tackle if we needed.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
I'm diggin it, especially if we could get Reggie Bush in Free Agency and another solid defensive addition
I like the draft. I like Iupati. Williams is a debate question but three Oline players would be a great draft and fill our line. I also noticed you let Franklin go at NT, was that an oversight or your thinking?
I am starting worry that Iupati won't last to 13.. If he goes to the combine and blows it up, then our dream draft might not happen.

So what is plan B anyway?????????

Fellas, like I said and tried to disclaim here -- This is a mock intended to predict the players I believe our scouts and GM, McCloughlan like. I am not Williams' biggest fan. I actually like Bulaga better because he is more technically sound, although not as polished. But I'm not sure they'd take him with #13. If we took Iupati at #13, then I could see them going for Bulaga at 16 or 17.

I am not a fan of Campbell, however, because he is incredibly raw. Too raw for my liking.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 9, 2010 at 21:28:04 ]
OTC or anyone else interested:

Where do you see Javier Arenas being taken? Is there a chance he will be available with our 3rd round pick?

I really like him both as an answer to depth at CB and KR/PR. Thoughts?

• smileyman
  • Info N/A

I agree about Williams vs Spiller 100%. But if Spiller is still available at 16 or 17 along with Iupati who would you pick........?

I would take Iupati. RBs are the easiest position to draft for and if you've got a solid line you can churn 1000 yard rushers out with ease. Just think about what Denver did year after year with their line.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
I am starting worry that Iupati won't last to 13.. If he goes to the combine and blows it up, then our dream draft might not happen.

No guard has ever been picked higher than 15 in the draft. I think Iupati will be there for us if we want to use him with 1a. He might not last to 1b though.
Originally posted by CornellU49er:

Where do you see Javier Arenas being taken? Is there a chance he will be available with our 3rd round pick?

He should be available in the 3rd, but could go as high as the 2nd.

Originally posted by smileyman:

No guard has ever been picked higher than 15 in the draft. I think Iupati will be there for us if we want to use him with 1a. He might not last to 1b though.

Not true. I laid out a list of high guard picks. One was taken 2nd overall. Played guard in college and started at guard to begin his career: Leonard Davis.

- Shawn Andrews (PHI), 16th Overall
- Leonard Davis (ARI), 2nd Overall
- Steve Hutchinson (SEA), 17th Overall
- Damien Woody (NE), 17th Overall
- Luke Petitgout (NYG, 19th Overall
- Chris Naeole (NO), 10th Overall
Originally posted by CornellU49er:

He should be available in the 3rd, but could go as high as the 2nd.

Originally posted by smileyman:

Not true. I laid out a list of high guard picks. One was taken 2nd overall. Played guard in college and started at guard to begin his career: Leonard Davis.

- Shawn Andrews (PHI), 16th Overall
- Leonard Davis (ARI), 2nd Overall
- Steve Hutchinson (SEA), 17th Overall
- Damien Woody (NE), 17th Overall
- Luke Petitgout (NYG, 19th Overall
- Chris Naeole (NO), 10th Overall

Are you sure Davis didn't start at tackle?

I agree Iupati with 1a (however, I'm withholding final judgment til senior bowl). I think if we miss out on Williams at 1b, we can always take Bulaga or Campbell. If we should miss out on Iupati with 1b, there's no other guard to fall back on.
Share 49ersWebzone