There are 224 users in the forums

Bleacher Report 1st round mock 1-9-10

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by jreff22:

The truth is most scouts and analysts will grade Bradford higher
and what about mccoy? where do you see him?

can you explain me, why they should grade bradford over clausen? what did they see? could it happen that they even grade tebow as high as clausen?

Not sure who will grade out higher, but like jreff I have seen every play of Clausen's collegiate career and have watched him grow and mature into a very good college QB. If I were the Rams, I'd gauge Shurmur's feelings on Kolb first and foremost and if he feels he is a franchise QB I'd look at the possibility of trading for him if not I wouldn't be able to put my finger on what I'm gonna do at #1 until I see both QB's work out.

The best case scenario is that Kolb is believed by the Rams to be a franchise QB and that the Eagles are willing to trade him then nab Suh #1 overall UNLESS I get blown away with a trade for #1 overall and said trade would have to be very very favorable for the Rams.

Clausen will fit like a glove into Shurmur's WCO after spending the last 3 years playing in a WCO in South Bend (that doesn't not translate into success whatsoever, but at least he already has a good understanding of that system and the transition is easier for him). Bradford will have to learn the WCO however I still think Bradford can be a very very successful QB and the Rams need to leave no stone unturned when evaluating both prospects.

The truth is most scouts and analysts will grade Bradford higher
and what about mccoy? where do you see him?

can you explain me, why they should grade bradford over clausen? what did they see? could it happen that they even grade tebow as high as clausen?

McCoy was in a position in the beginning of the year to be the 2nd QB taken, behind Bradford. McCoy at this point is a late 1st round MASSIVE reach but should fall into the middle 2nd round. His combine will be very important due to the questions surrounding his arm strength. He is a very athletic kid and his intelligence will not come into question. I like McCoy but I think the lack of great WR's (not counting Shipley) is why he struggled a bit this year. I'm also curious what the diagnosis will be on his arm, could he of played in the championship? If he could of played some people may question his toughness, if he couldn't of...how bad is the injury and can he work out in the combine. If he cant work out, I could see him slip to the 3rd possibly 4th round.

Bradford over Clausen, in a nut shell! Bradford has won the big games, Clausen hasn't. Bradford is a senior, Clausen is a junior. I'm sure I don't have to go over the statistics with you but most junior QB's who enter end up failing in the NFL. Bradford has fantastic game tape over multiple years. To be honest this is the best year Clausen has ever had, going back and watching old tape....Clausen looks bad. I wanted him to stay at ND but with the HC change he had to leave. His growth and potential had he stayed would of been outstanding. Chances are he and Locker would of been fighting for the #1 overall pick in 2011. You know what you get with Bradford, (not counting the injury) Clausen is still a bit of an enigma. Bradford is ready for the pro's....Clausen still needs one more year of college football.

As far as Tebow.....no f**king way. Tebow is a 100% blue chip leader and hard worker. The kid is a saint and is a great person. He loves the game and you can see the fire in him when he plays. But hard work and great attitude does not = great QB. The kid has skill but he's not exceptional in any one area. I know people always say..."make him an H Back"...or "make him a TE". I ask can the kid block, can he catch, can he stand up to NFL LB's? The answer will be no, he is a QB. Just like Pat White last year, Tebow will only work out as a QB. I see him as a major boom or major bust, I cant see any middle ground for him. He will (as stated by Jax) end up playing in FL and the pick will be a major reach. I know people say, "they wont make a reach like that". Well go back to 2008 and look at Derrick Harvey, they grabbed him at #8 and most had him projected in the mid to late teens.

Another point to look at. This years QB class really kind of sucks, aside from Bradford and Clausen the drop off is massive. That's why I think McCoy will go in 2nd. Tebow I have a feeling goes to Jax at #10 or wherever they are drafting this year. After those 4 guys go, it will be a while before another QB is taken.
Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by mayo63:
I can't get the page to load, who has he got us taking?

Haden and Bulaga

Thanks, those are two good picks.

Wouldn't be mad

Another point to look at. This years QB class really kind of sucks, aside from Bradford and Clausen the drop off is massive. That's why I think McCoy will go in 2nd. Tebow I have a feeling goes to Jax at #10 or wherever they are drafting this year. After those 4 guys go, it will be a while before another QB is taken.
some people tell me that the rams could draft suh (in the first) und a (franchise) QB in the second round...what do you think?
no pike in the 2nd?

how should clausen win the big games if his defense sucks??? i mean, for example look at the stanford game...even 5 TD passes arent enough.
and there are some things I learned in the past: even if a statistic shows you a "correlation" it have not to mean much...you can't say "he will suck because he is a junior...look at the past". you have to look, why the other guys busted. and if you find those weaknesses and if clausen got that weakness either then you have your statistic. but then it isnt a "junior-problem" anymore. seniors could have this weakness, too.
and just one more: perhaps bradford is a senior on the paper, but he only played three years. clausen played about three years, too.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Some of the selections in this mock are retarded, (raiders drafting Tebow with the 8th ...

But if we ended up with Haden and Bulaga it would be a good draft for us.

i was actually joking with a friend of mine about this...i told him that it would be hilarious if the raiders drafted tebow...could u imagine tebow in a locker room with all of the characters al davis has put together?? maybe they grab him to clean up the raiders!!! lol...yea right!!
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Sorry this dude lost it with Clausen as #1. I din't even bother to read the rest.

Clausen has a legit chance to go number 1. Suh might be the best player but the Rams need a face of the franchise and a QB. The Lions took Stafford over 2 guys who were rated higher by most (Smith & Curry) and the Falcons took Ryan over what most assumed would be Glenn Dorsey. After passing on Sanchez last year, it's going to be hard for St.Louis to pass on Clausen or Bradford as they may not get another chance to draft an elite QB prospect and the FA market has slim pickings. Unless they can somehow trade for a proven commodity at QB they will take a long hard look at the top 2 QB's.

I will be far from surprised if the first name called on Draft Day is Clausen or Bradford and not Suh.

Exactly what I think they'll do as well.

Yeah, the Rams have to get this pick right and they can't keep expecting Jackson to shoulder the entire load on offense. With Bulger in limbo, they need to use the pick on a QB and Clausen fits the bill. The #1 pick is such a large investment that you almost have to go with a QB.

I like Suh, but DTs don't win football games for you.

some people tell me that the rams could draft suh (in the first) und a (franchise) QB in the second round...what do you think?
no pike in the 2nd?

how should clausen win the big games if his defense sucks??? i mean, for example look at the stanford game...even 5 TD passes arent enough.
and there are some things I learned in the past: even if a statistic shows you a "correlation" it have not to mean much...you can't say "he will suck because he is a junior...look at the past". you have to look, why the other guys busted. and if you find those weaknesses and if clausen got that weakness either then you have your statistic. but then it isnt a "junior-problem" anymore. seniors could have this weakness, too.
and just one more: perhaps bradford is a senior on the paper, but he only played three years. clausen played about three years, too.

As far as a franchise guy in the 2nd...could happen but nobody is really overly impressive at this point. It could be Pike or it could be McCoy, depends on who is available and where they grade out as far as BPA. Regarding Pike, his stock was VERY high early to mid year but once the injury happened he started to fall. I had him as this years Flacco early in the season but his play of late has been so so, couple that with the nagging injury, I doubt he will be the first pick in the second round.

Remember I'm not bashing Clausen, I'm simply stating the truth. I give him more leeway due to the supporting cast around him and the difficulty ND faces getting top level recruits. But as stated, he has lost the vast majority of big games and I can say he has lost games that should of been won. Granted it's a team loss of course, but people will still put that on his resume.

As far as you comments about junior's entering the draft, read this. I understand your argument but the fact is a higher % of juniors fail compare to seniors. Sure their are always exceptions but if the "differences" were that easy to read those guys would of never been drafted. The reason they were drafted was because teams needed a QB and they were available. You're trying to argue something that you cant win unfortunately, sure 9 times out of 10 isn't a guarantee but the risk is higher on that gamble.

Every guy that "busts" will have similarities (with the others) but will also have differences, you can point your finger at 1 specific thing because the variables are different in each scenario ie coaches, coordinators, WR's, O Line, quality of the D ect ect. Only time will tell with each QB, but one major similarity would be rushing a guy too soon. Yes seniors can have this issue but normally they come out more mature and experienced. Even though Bradford isn't playing he's still in meetings, watching tape ect ect...one more year of being around the game then any junior will have.

Regarding an earlier question about Suh, yes he could be the first guy taken. But with Bulger possibly retiring and the obvious non-replacement for him on the team...what would you do? Another reason I have a problem with them taking Suh is their previous drafting track record:
2007 13 Adam Carriker DE Nebraska
2008 2 Chris Long DE Virginia
2009 2 Jason Smith OT Baylor

They have taken a D Lineman twice the last 3 years, last time I checked they weren't getting any better with them:
2007 3-13
2008 2-14
2009 1-15

Suh will grade out higher then any other kid this year, that's a fact!! But the bigger issue is they need a QB of and for the future and you have the best chance to get that picking #1 overall. If they feel taking a DT will help them a few years from now more then a QB.....they are obviously content losing.
Share 49ersWebzone