LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 294 users in the forums

FIRST THREE PICKS

Originally posted by GORO:
Scout Inc. on ESPN has EARL THOMAS listed at #12.

While Mel Kiper said this in his 2010 DRAFT PREVIEW;

He is the complete package at the saftey position. In coverage he's like having another corner on the field. He does a great job of reading the quarterback and has terrific ball skill (6) interceptions. He's also a very good tackler and is at his best in big games.

In summary; This guy if available at #13 will be hard to pass up.

why do ppl still quote kiper like he knows talent?
i still remember when he had us taking dwayne jarrett at #11 overall...

whatever happened with that?
Originally posted by smileyman:
Originally posted by abowers1984:
OPTIMAL:

1) Joe Haden
2) Mike Iupati
3) Jerry Hughes

I think Haden will be an average CB in the NFL. Not someone worth spending a first round pick on.

Wow - that couldnt be further from the truth... There are many out there that feel he compares favorably to one Darrell Revis. While I wouldnt go that far, I certainly feel that he profiles as a future shut down corner certainly worthy of a 1st round pick - not to mention, he is fearless in terms of his run stopping ability.

Care to elaborate on your opinion?

P.S. If we do go with a tackle in the first round, my pick would be to go with Bulaga. I think he has more versatility than Williams and could certainly play LT in a pinch. His ability to get to the 2nd level while blocking in the run game is second to none.

Under that scenario, my top three are as follow:

1. Bryan Bulaga
2. Mike Iupati
3. Jerry Hughes
I say Spiller at 13,Best ROT left with 16th,then A Guard in 2nd rd, And a Safety in the 3rd..This gives us another explosive back who can also return kicks and play the slot,solves our o-line troubles and gives us a young safety to start in 2011 or so.

[ Edited by Mister49 on Jan 20, 2010 at 00:07:27 ]
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
OPTIMAL:

1) Joe Haden
2) Mike Iupati
3) Jerry Hughes

I think Haden will be an average CB in the NFL. Not someone worth spending a first round pick on.

Wow - that couldnt be further from the truth... There are many out there that feel he compares favorably to one Darrell Revis. While I wouldnt go that far, I certainly feel that he profiles as a future shut down corner certainly worthy of a 1st round pick - not to mention, he is fearless in terms of his run stopping ability.

I've elaborated several times on this. Watch Haden any time he faces a decent team. He gets beat often--he's especially vulnerable to a double move and the inside routes. Luckily Major Wright is an incredible safety and can bail him out. Watch Haden try to come up in run support. He misses tackles and is easily blocked.

By no means is he a shut-down corner. Not even close. Like I said I think he'll be average at best.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
OPTIMAL:

1) Joe Haden
2) Mike Iupati
3) Jerry Hughes

P.S. If we do go with a tackle in the first round, my pick would be to go with Bulaga. I think he has more versatility than Williams and could certainly play LT in a pinch. His ability to get to the 2nd level while blocking in the run game is second to none.

Under that scenario, my top three are as follow:

1. Bryan Bulaga
2. Mike Iupati
3. Jerry Hughes

Hughes will be gone early in round 2 at the very least, since he is said to be a relentless pass rusher
OPTIMAL:

1) Joe Haden
2) Mike Iupati
3) Jerry Hughes

I've elaborated several times on this. Watch Haden any time he faces a decent team. He gets beat often--he's especially vulnerable to a double move and the inside routes. Luckily Major Wright is an incredible safety and can bail him out. Watch Haden try to come up in run support. He misses tackles and is easily blocked.

By no means is he a shut-down corner. Not even close. Like I said I think he'll be average at best.

he shut down
julio jones 2 catches for 28 yds
gilyard 7 catches for 41 yds (mainly screens)
Aj green 3 catches 50 yds
and he only let 1 td this year and that was perfectly thrown to a 6 foot 3 WR
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
OPTIMAL:

1) Joe Haden
2) Mike Iupati
3) Jerry Hughes

he shut down
julio jones 2 catches for 28 yds
gilyard 7 catches for 41 yds (mainly screens)
Aj green 3 catches 50 yds
and he only let 1 td this year and that was perfectly thrown to a 6 foot 3 WR

Julio Jones--43 receptions, 596 yards. Jones averaged 3 catches for 38 yards a game. Haden kept him to one less catch than normal. Not exactly a shut down is it?

Mardy Gilyard--87 catches, 1191 yards. That's an average of 7 catches and 91 yards per game. Haden kept him to the exact same number of catches that he averaged all year. Not hardly a shut down corner is he?

AJ Green--53 receptions, 808 yards. That's 5 receptions, 82 yards average. So the shut down corner only kept AJ Green to 2 less receptions than normal. Wow, lets' go spend a first round draft choice on him.

Here's what a real shut down corner looks like.

Darrelle Revis

Andre Johnson--101 receptions, 1569 yards in 2009. That's an average of 6 receptions for 102 yards a game. Revis kept him to 35 yards.

Randy Moss--83 receptions, 1264 yards. 83 yards a game average. Revis kept him to 24 yards.

Marques Colston--70 receptions, 1074 yards. Average of 5 receptions and 69.4 yards a game. Revis kept him to just 2 receptions and 33 yards.

Chad Ochocinco--72 receptions, 1047 yards. 5 receptions, 69.8 yards a game. Revis shut him down completely. 0 receptions, 0 yards.

Revis also has 31 passes defended, and 6 INTs. Haden has 8 passes defended, and 4 INTs.

Haden's numbers are more inline with someone like Dre Bly or Shantae Spencer. Average to slightly above-average CBs, but not elite.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Good points on Haden. It's hard to judge a guy who plays in the passing challenged SEC where there are no elite QBs or WRs. It's about the only weakness in the conference.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by GoldenGateFan:
Sorry, but I hate these picks. Not anything wrong with these prospects, I just do not like the individual people or there style. Earl Thomas is too small, Bulaga is a terrible run blocker, and Shipley is mediocre.

Earl Thomas is 5'10, 197 lbs.

Jarius Byrd is 5'10, 200 lbs

Nick Collins is 5'11, 207 lbs

Antoine Beathea is 5'11, 203lbs

IN other words Thoms is proto-typical size for a FS.

Bulaga is a great run blocker

Watch this video and tell me again that Bulaga isn't a great run blocker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx8FKLXUmHA

Shipley has great hands and great speed after the catch. He'd be a good pickup
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdCcQh05tPk

Your forgetting:

Troy Polamalu 5'10" 207

James Sanders 5'10" 210

Jim Leonhard 5'8" 190

Brandon Meriweather 5'11" 200 - who actually looks shorter than that.

Mike Brown 5'10" 207

I think we need to wait for the combine before believing Earl Thomas is as big as listed. Dude looked tiny against Alabama. Not saying I wouldn't take him at 16/17, just that 13 may be a bit high.

BTW, Polamalu was a better prospect and still went 16th overall. Did any of those guys listed go top 15?
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by TX9R:
Good points on Haden. It's hard to judge a guy who plays in the passing challenged SEC where there are no elite QBs or WRs. It's about the only weakness in the conference.

That's even more damning. He plays in a weak passing conference and still isn't a dominating corner.

OPTIMAL:

1) Joe Haden
2) Mike Iupati
3) Jerry Hughes

It's obvious how bias you are against Haden. We had this argument before and you posted youtube videos as your defense as to why Haden is not a great talent. That plays you provided (i believe there were only THREE plays), only ONE was his fault. The others, the defense was either playing a zone and the last play, he made a great play on the ball that would've been a touchdown had he not jumped the route.

Haden is a very good corner, but we all know he's not a shutdown corner. There's only one out there and that's Darelle Revis. It's very hard to find a true shutdown corner, or whatever that means. But Haden has great closing speed, he helps out in run support, and plays great in man to man.

[ Edited by SF69ers on Jan 20, 2010 at 10:14:44 ]
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
My top three would be:

1a. Trent Williams or Brian Bulaga, OT
1b. Mike Iupati, OG
2. Javier Arenas, CB/KR

We've got talent on the skill positions. All we need is to provide protection on pass plays and to open holes on the running plays. 3rd and 1? Run it behind Iupati and get that crucial 1st down. Walt Harris and Dre Bly are questionmarks for next year, so developing another CB while being able to help in the return game will be ideal.

This is exactly what I want in the draft. Except I would take Bulaga over Trent Williams. People like to say that Scotty won't draft two offensive linemen, why they assume that, I don't know. Singletary will have a lot of say on who he wants drafted by the team, and I'm pretty sure they both noticed the inconsistencies within the o-line which was evident by our lack of a strong running game.

The only way I change my mind on those picks is if Suh or Berry falls to our first pick.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Overkill:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by GoldenGateFan:
Sorry, but I hate these picks. Not anything wrong with these prospects, I just do not like the individual people or there style. Earl Thomas is too small, Bulaga is a terrible run blocker, and Shipley is mediocre.

Earl Thomas is 5'10, 197 lbs.

Jarius Byrd is 5'10, 200 lbs

Nick Collins is 5'11, 207 lbs

Antoine Beathea is 5'11, 203lbs

IN other words Thoms is proto-typical size for a FS.

Bulaga is a great run blocker

Watch this video and tell me again that Bulaga isn't a great run blocker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx8FKLXUmHA

Shipley has great hands and great speed after the catch. He'd be a good pickup
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdCcQh05tPk

Your forgetting:

Troy Polamalu 5'10" 207

James Sanders 5'10" 210

Jim Leonhard 5'8" 190

Brandon Meriweather 5'11" 200 - who actually looks shorter than that.

Mike Brown 5'10" 207

I think we need to wait for the combine before believing Earl Thomas is as big as listed. Dude looked tiny against Alabama. Not saying I wouldn't take him at 16/17, just that 13 may be a bit high.

BTW, Polamalu was a better prospect and still went 16th overall. Did any of those guys listed go top 15?

Polamalu--16th overall
Jarius Byrd--42 overall
Nick Collins--51 overall
Antoine Bethea--201st overall (6th round!)
James Sanders--133rd overall
Jim Leonhard--undrafted
Brandon Meriweather--24th overall
Mike Brown--39th overall

No safety has ever been picked in the top 5. In fact I would not be surprised to see Haden go before Berry because there's a premium on corners, even though I think Haden won't be all that great a corner in the NFL.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
OPTIMAL:

1) Joe Haden
2) Mike Iupati
3) Jerry Hughes

It's obvious how bias you are against Haden. We had this argument before and you posted youtube videos as your defense as to why Haden is not a great talent. That plays you provided (i believe there were only THREE plays), only ONE was his fault. The others, the defense was either playing a zone and the last play, he made a great play on the ball that would've been a touchdown had he not jumped the route.

Haden is a very good corner, but we all know he's not a shutdown corner. There's only one out there and that's Darelle Revis. It's very hard to find a true shutdown corner, or whatever that means. But Haden has great closing speed, he helps out in run support, and plays great in man to man.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by SF69ers:
It's obvious how bias you are against Haden. We had this argument before and you posted youtube videos as your defense as to way Haden is not a great talent. That plays you provided (i believe there were only THREE plays), only ONE was his fault. The others, the defense was either playing a zone and the last play, he made a great play on the ball that would've been a touchdown had he not jumped the route.

Yeah my bias against him comes from watching the games he's played where he's not done well. He doesn't have great coverage and I've shown evidence as tow hy I think that's the case--yet nobody has shown me evidence to support their claim that he's going to be a star in the league. He does a decent to average job against college wide receivers. That's going to translate to a below average to poor job against NFL wide receivers. And people want to draft hi min the first round.
Share 49ersWebzone