So, what the hell. The offseaon is one of my favorite times of year, so I thought I would give this a go. This mock is based on the assumption that the team will use this year to sign their own players to long term contracts rather than pursue high priced free agents. Here goes:
Aubrayo Franklin- The niners sign him to a multi-year deal. They have spent too long searching for a good NT. They don't do anything to piss him off.
Dre' Bly- Sign him to a two-year deal. He knows the system, played decently well as a nickel back, a adds experience to a secondary that will be getting much younger very soon.
Vernon Davis- Get his extension done so there is no reason for him to regress after a breakout year.
Ahmad Brooks- His play warrants an extension, not just a RFA tender.
*Possibly* Patrick Willis- The best player on this team deserves an extension. He might get it this year or next.
David Baas- re-up him for at least a year so he can battle a drafted player for the starting LG position.
Marcus Hudson- re-up him to battle for a roster spot with the drafted DBs.
4th round pick for Josh Cribbs- He's disgruntled, we need him desperately, and there is a history of teams trading disgruntled players for 4th rounders (Randy Moss comes to mind).
1A. OT Brian Bulaga- He's an instant starter at RT and might be the team's best pass protecter from day one.
1B. OG/OT Mike Iupati- He can come in and compete with Baas for the LG spot and at least takes over for him next year.
2. CB Perrish Cox- Good size, speed, and could push Clements, Bly, and Brown immediately.
3. S Kurt Coleman- Despite his size, Coleman is a strong in-the-box safety with better than average cover ability. He would be groomed as Lewis' eventual successor.
5. ILB Micah Johnson- His size and tackling abilities make him a good 3-4 candidate for the TED.
6. Best possible DB or pass rusher available. (Yeah, I ran out of ideas.)
7. Possibly Trindon Holliday. He's a lightning bug and he could possibly be stashed on the PS.
Alright, I ran out of steam for the last two picks, but overall I would love this offseason. Thoughts?