LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

Do we go against the grain..

And target Rolando McClain?

Could you imagine Willis and McClain next to eachother? The only question for the gurus are is he a 3 down LB?
do we go against the grain and draft Rolando Mcclain, imagine the pain for opposing teams causing them to have s**t stains, know what im sayin
unless he can cover as well as a DB, he'll likely leave the field in obvious passing downs, unless he turns out to be better than Willis.
Not sure it makes a lot of sense to play someone like that at the TED (real waste of talent, IMO), and to invest a mid-1st rounder in that position. Now, if we were a 4-3 team and wanted to make McClain the MLB and move Willis to the WILL where he could blitz more and stay cleaner...that makes sense.
  • Luca
  • Veteran
I would not be angry if we did in fact draft him.
I wouldn't be opposed to it, if there aren't any OTs left on the board that we have graded high enough to select with a first round pick, and C.J. Spiller is gone.

It is a bit of a concern for me though that with a first round contract for McClain, plus the hefty extension that we will no doubt be giving to Patrick Willis, that is a lot of money potentially tied up on ILBs.
I think McLain will be a very good pro LB, but we really need edge speed rushers.

Trust me, I'd like to see him in a 49ers uniform but either he or Willis would have to move outside and I don't see either doing that in a 3-4.
Wouldnt mind it as long as we get an OT in the 1st as well
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
I think McLain will be a very good pro LB, but we really need edge speed rushers.

Trust me, I'd like to see him in a 49ers uniform but either he or Willis would have to move outside and I don't see either doing that in a 3-4.

slight correction. R. McClain has lined up in every LB position for Nick Saban's 3-4 D

• dman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Negrodamus:

slight correction. R. McClain has lined up in every LB position for Nick Saban's 3-4 D

can he be a speed rusher off the dge in the 3-4?

he seems mor elike an ilb
Originally posted by dhp318:
unless he can cover as well as a DB, he'll likely leave the field in obvious passing downs, unless he turns out to be better than Willis.

better than that willis guy huh
Originally posted by Negrodamus:

In Nick Sabans 3-4 I wouldn't be suprised to see Cody as an OLB for a play or two.

Is it just me, or did it seem for awhile last night like there were 12 or 13 players on defense for Alabama? That is one good defense, and I wouldn't mind McLain playing any linebacker position.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
If Spikes and McKillop weren't on the roster, and we still had Ulbrich and D. Smith, McClain would make sense.

Right now, hellz no.
Moot point...he won't be there at 13.

But if he's there...yes you draft him. Can't have enough playmakers on defense.
Share 49ersWebzone