There are 160 users in the forums

QB prospects 2nd round and beyond

My brother brought my attention to Dan Lafavour from Central Michegin

He actually looks good but would need time to adjust to a pro offense
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Jamespowers:
I think if McCoy is still there in 2nd round, we should take him. Always need a plan B in place. I believe the organization sees this and will take a QB at some point in the draft on day 2

We have a Plan B. You are after a Plan C. Just run through the needs in your mind. All of them. Then run through the depth of talent in this draft. Ok? Now, our second rounder may well be a 1st round-calibre player. Do you really want to spend that on a guy who likely won't even suit up?

I agree with you there, but a QB is the most important position on the field. And ranking all the QB's on our roster vs. the other 31 NFL teams, well, we can use an upgrade whenever. Franchise QB's can be found at this spots in the draft. Not saying any of these guys could be that player, but you never know.
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by Jamespowers:
Tim Tebow would be an interesting prospect in 2nd or 3rd too, if say McCoy gets taken before hand. I know he comes from the same system as Alex Smith but might have better all around skills.

Same system as Alex??? NOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Hope McCoy is available, but then again, we have Alex developing (since 05), Nate developing, and now Colt or any other rookie qb developing. That sucks.

True, same system, but Tebow is a different type of player than Smith, he is an enigma, no doubt, but a 3rd round pick if he is still there, why not.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Tony Pike--Cincinatti Bearcats
Max Hall--BYU
I'm not convinced by Colt McCoy. Personally I think I'd be very disappointed if we took him in Round 2 when it's clear we have other needs right now, it doesn't really solve anything for us.

In McCoy I see some of Shaun Hill and some of Alex Smith, he just doesn't have it for me and is working out of a system all the time. Jordan Shipley makes Colt McCoy look better than he is, infact, if we're going down the Shipley line, then if he's still there in 3 with the likes of McCluster and Arenas, we can significantly upgrade our return game. Personally, I'd take Arenas to give us an extra DB, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at Shipley for sure.

Sorry, went off track a little there.....

I'd much prefer waiting on a Snead to fall (reminds me of that song, waiting for a star to fall!!) or holding back for another development guy in LeFevour or Hiller or Canfield.

I don't think you can go wrong drafting a Quarterback every year, particularly late on AND when you look at the impact of some guys, Julian Edelman for instance this year, who was Quarterback at Kent State!
I'll look over Arnaz Battle and Michael Robinson, who, to be fair, have had their moments, but really haven't turned out how I thought they would when we drafted them.

I'm not an Alex Smith "fan" but I'm willing to be give him one last shot in 2010 by giving him the O-line to succeed behind and if he whiffs this year, then we seriously need to get looking at 2011 or developing Nate Davis and our draftee from this upcoming draft.

We are due a 6th/7th round gem to work out for us really positively.
Originally posted by smileyman:
Tony Pike--Cincinatti Bearcats
Max Hall--BYU

I don't like Pike. Hasn't he only started around 10 games for the Bearcats?? He'd be a very long term project.
Originally posted by BrianUKNiner:
I'm not convinced by Colt McCoy. Personally I think I'd be very disappointed if we took him in Round 2 when it's clear we have other needs right now, it doesn't really solve anything for us.

In McCoy I see some of Shaun Hill and some of Alex Smith, he just doesn't have it for me and is working out of a system all the time. Jordan Shipley makes Colt McCoy look better than he is, infact, if we're going down the Shipley line, then if he's still there in 3 with the likes of McCluster and Arenas, we can significantly upgrade our return game. Personally, I'd take Arenas to give us an extra DB, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at Shipley for sure.

Sorry, went off track a little there.....

I'd much prefer waiting on a Snead to fall (reminds me of that song, waiting for a star to fall!!) or holding back for another development guy in LeFevour or Hiller or Canfield.

I don't think you can go wrong drafting a Quarterback every year, particularly late on AND when you look at the impact of some guys, Julian Edelman for instance this year, who was Quarterback at Kent State!
I'll look over Arnaz Battle and Michael Robinson, who, to be fair, have had their moments, but really haven't turned out how I thought they would when we drafted them.

I'm not an Alex Smith "fan" but I'm willing to be give him one last shot in 2010 by giving him the O-line to succeed behind and if he whiffs this year, then we seriously need to get looking at 2011 or developing Nate Davis and our draftee from this upcoming draft.

We are due a 6th/7th round gem to work out for us really positively.

Snead is a possible pick 4th round maybe, who knows what can happen to the stock of these QB's come draft time.
Originally posted by DesiDez:
For the 5th rd and beyond:

Jarrett Brown, WVU

the 49ers are even getting players that I want as UDFA.
Share 49ersWebzone