LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

Position openings

Originally posted by Karma:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
For all those who hate Snyder, for the record, Snyder has had to play every position on the line except center.
Several years ago, when he was filling in for Jennings at LT (his college position), he did a good job, and few were b*#ching about him then.
Now that he was finally given an opportunity to start at one position (RT) he has struggled in the early part of the season. At the end of the season however, he played fairly well.

Sims moved back to his natural position at LT, and everyone can agree that he played like a completely different player. Likewise, I believe, unfortunately, that Snyder's best position is also LT.

The only RT's we have on the roster at the moment (who can play worth a lick), are Pashos and Snyder.
Just to remind everybody, when Pashos came in, he was barely an upgrade at all at RT. He gave up a lot of pressure too.
Another point to make about RT.
When Alex Smith feels pressure, he always rolls where? To his right. Rarely does he run left. Guess who blocks on the right. Exactly, the RT.
I have seen plenty of times where Smith AND Hill have sacked themselves by running chaotically to the right, right into the defender.

Snyder has not been good most of the year, its true. But the man who has been asked to play every position but center, is not as bad as everyone wishes he were.

For the foreseeable future, we have no depth at RT, because Pashos is not guaranteed to be here in 2010. Snyder is not going anywhere. In fact, with a year under his belt, he might still have a chance to pick up next year where he left off this year, as a solid, if perhaps backup, RT.

I agree with you completely. Snyder is a valuable player for this team. He is value, however, is as a reserve. If we upgrade the RT position I would feel comfortable with him backing up 4 of the 5 OL positions. As a starter, he is a weak link but as a reserve he's above average.

That is a very good way to describe Snyder. I think he needs to be replaced in the draft by a top teir OT.
IMO we really need to draft a stud LT and move Staley back to his more natural RT position. Barry Sims looked much better at LT than Staley this year.

Our line as a whole just needs to gel as a group.

I'm hoping we don't just draft O-Line out of need and pass up some really good players. (ie. Desean Jackson)
Originally posted by BigBug415:
IMO we really need to draft a stud LT and move Staley back to his more natural RT position. Barry Sims looked much better at LT than Staley this year.

Our line as a whole just needs to gel as a group.

I'm hoping we don't just draft O-Line out of need and pass up some really good players. (ie. Desean Jackson)

THat might not be a bad idea. Staley is an above average LT, mainly because he has excellent footwork, but we are lucky because he has played RT before. If a guy is available that is stronger on the left side, we don't have to pass him and reach for a guy that can only play on the right.

As for your other comment, we almost certainly WILL pass up a really good player because that is the nature of the draft. I just hope the guy we DO get will make us forget!
Share 49ersWebzone