LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

Position openings

One of my favorite things to do, going into the offseason, is to look at the players on the roster that will, or at least should, be back with the team, and try to figure out how many spots need to be filled and where there is need. Here is how I see the roster shaking out as we approach Free Agency and the Draft:

Offense: I believe we have 20 players that will be back. The usually need is 25.

QBs: Smith, Hill, and Davis will return. No immediate need.
RBs: Gore, Coffee, Robinson, and Norris return. I see One spot available.
WRs: Crabtree, Morgan, Hill, and Jones return. I see One spot available.
TEs: Davis and Walker return. One spot may be available, if not J.J. Finley.
OLs: Staley, Baas, Heitmann, Rachal, Snyder, Pashos, and Wallace return. I think we get younger by parting ways with Sims and retaining Pashos. If Wallace can prove that he can handle the three interior spots then Wragge becomes expendable. I see
Two spots available.

Hopefully we find a guy for the extra WR and RB spots that can return kicks and punts.

Defense: I believe we have 21 players return and a need for 25.

DLs: Sopoaga, Franklin, Smith, Balmer, Evans, McDonald, and Jean-Francois. No Immediate need.
LBs: Haralson, Willis, Spikes, Lawson, Brooks, Mckillop, and Briggs return. I see One - Two Spots available.
DBs: Clements, Spencer, Brown, Bly, Goldson, Lewis, and Smith return. I see Two - Three spots available.

I anticipate Briggs taking a developmental step this offseason lessening the need for a first day pass rusher. We need to add a t least one middle linebacker at some point. Bly's resigning is a must in my mind. I left Hudson off, but he will probably be brought back to compete, I just don't see him as a roster lock.

So, OL and DB should be the first two to three round priorities. If a WR or RB with return capabilities falls to us early, and it would be a good value, we should jump on him, but it can probably wait until the fourth or beyond. I would love it if the first two rounds went this way:

#13: Best OT available: Bulaga or Williams possibly.
#16/17: Best DB available. It would be nice to get a safety, but CB is also a need.
2nd Rounder: Best OG available. I, as are many on here, am enamored with Lupati in the first, but only if we are sure he can move to OT. Baas and Rachal are serviceable or better OGs; Snyder should never start at OT again.

After that we can look for our returner, add DB depth, find a solid tackling MLB, and look for good value at WR and RB since those last two positions aren't an immediate need. That's just how I see it right now.
Nice post. Looks good to me
Great Post! Keep up the good work!
OT: I really think they'll try to re-sign Barry Sims as veteran depth, and it sounds like he wants to come back.

DBs: I think they'll give Curtis Taylor (S) every chance to make the team next year. He's a big body who runs pretty well; with another training camp under his belt, he could be a decent player...worse case, he'd be a solid special teamer for us. I also think they'll tender Marcus Hudson (CB) and bring him back on a 1 year deal.
[ Edited by GoFD74 on Jan 6, 2010 at 9:33 AM ]
Originally posted by Karma:
One of my favorite things to do, going into the offseason, is to look at the players on the roster that will, or at least should, be back with the team, and try to figure out how many spots need to be filled and where there is need. Here is how I see the roster shaking out as we approach Free Agency and the Draft:

Offense: I believe we have 20 players that will be back. The usually need is 25.

I don't see Hill coming back. Smith, Davis and a late round pick

2 spots open. Team will likely carry 6. Both Battle and Bruce will be gone.

OLs: Staley, Baas, Heitmann, Rachal, Snyder, Pashos, and Wallace return. I think we get younger by parting ways with Sims and retaining Pashos. If Wallace can prove that he can handle the three interior spots then Wragge becomes expendable. I see Two spots available.
I can't see Sims going anywhere after the year he had subbing for Staley. Pashos will have to win a starter spot if he is to remain on the team. We need 3 olineman. Heitmann is a better guard than a Center. Baas, Rachel and Snyder need to be replaced. 2 of those three should have good competition for their spots from the draft.

Hopefully we find a guy for the extra WR and RB spots that can return kicks and punts.

DLs: Sopoaga, Franklin, Smith, Balmer, Evans, McDonald, and Jean-Francois. No Immediate need.
LBs: Haralson, Willis, Spikes, Lawson, Brooks, Mckillop, and Briggs return. I see One - Two Spots available.
DBs: Clements, Spencer, Brown, Bly, Goldson, Lewis, and Smith return. I see Two - Three spots available.

I anticipate Briggs taking a developmental step this offseason lessening the need for a first day pass rusher. We need to add a t least one middle linebacker at some point. Bly's resigning is a must in my mind. I left Hudson off, but he will probably be brought back to compete, I just don't see him as a roster lock.

So, OL and DB should be the first two to three round priorities. If a WR or RB with return capabilities falls to us early, and it would be a good value, we should jump on him, but it can probably wait until the fourth or beyond. I would love it if the first two rounds went this way:

#16/17: Best DB available. It would be nice to get a safety, but CB is also a need.
2nd Rounder: Best OG available. I, as are many on here, am enamored with Lupati in the first, but only if we are sure he can move to OT. Baas and Rachal are serviceable or better OGs; Snyder should never start at OT again.

After that we can look for our returner, add DB depth, find a solid tackling MLB, and look for good value at WR and RB since those last two positions aren't an immediate need. That's just how I see it right now.

See my responses in bold

OLs: Staley, Baas, Heitmann, Rachal, Snyder, Pashos, and Wallace return. I think we get younger by parting ways with Sims and retaining Pashos. If Wallace can prove that he can handle the three interior spots then Wragge becomes expendable. I see
Two spots available.

nicely done, I can see a late rd OLB being brought in to compete with Briggs.
Originally posted by GoFD74:
OT: I really think they'll try to re-sign Barry Sims as veteran depth, and it sounds like he wants to come back.

DBs: I think they'll give Curtis Taylor (S) every chance to make the team next year. He's a big body who runs pretty well; with another training camp under his belt, he could be a decent player...worse case, he'd be a solid special teamer for us. I also think they'll tender Marcus Hudson (CB) and bring him back on a 1 year deal.

Sims was GREAT filling in for Staley. I would never have expected as much from him. He was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY better than I could have hoped.. That said, I think the team will want to bring him back if they can work out an acceptable deal.

I was debating whether Sims or Pashos had a better shot of coming back. You're right, Sims had a fine year and he has expressed interest, but he is 35. I doubt he could duplicate this year again. Pashos on the other hand could push what ever rookie we draft for a starting spot. In the end, Pashos coming back may be wishful thinking. I doubt both he and Sims will return.

I agree with you about Taylor and Hudson. I didn't include them because they will have to beat out a youngster to make the squad, so they aren't locks. I hope they both make it, especially since experience is the most valuable tool for a DB, but we need to try some young blood as well.

I was debating whether Sims or Pashos had a better shot of coming back. You're right, Sims had a fine year and he has expressed interest, but he is 35. I doubt he could duplicate this year again. Pashos on the other hand could push what ever rookie we draft for a starting spot. In the end, Pashos coming back may be wishful thinking. I doubt both he and Sims will return.

I agree with you about Taylor and Hudson. I didn't include them because they will have to beat out a youngster to make the squad, so they aren't locks. I hope they both make it, especially since experience is the most valuable tool for a DB, but we need to try some young blood as well.

You're right, I think they go with either Pashos or Sims, but not both. Since I really believe they want to address RT through the draft, I think they'll focus on re-signing Sims as a veteran backup to Staley and let Pashos walk. As much as I hate Snyder, I think they'll keep him around as a backup to the rookie RT.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

Two spots available.

nicely done, I can see a late rd OLB being brought in to compete with Briggs.

I definitely agree, but it should be in the later rounds. I disagree with the people that want us to take Hughes, Kindle, or whomever in the first. We need to address other areas, and our current pashrushers did a good job this year. Briggs is the developmental player, but he seems to have considerable upside. I look forward to seeing him on the field.

You're right, I think they go with either Pashos or Sims, but not both. Since I really believe they want to address RT through the draft, I think they'll focus on re-signing Sims as a veteran backup to Staley and let Pashos walk. As much as I hate Snyder, I think they'll keep him around as a backup to the rookie RT.

True. Snyder is aggravating, but his value is that he can essentially play four positions. He belongs on the bench.
Just a couple of things:

1) I think we retain Sims and Pashos, neither becomes expendable. Sims would be good as a back up LT/RT. Although Pashos signed on only for a year, I liked how he was willing to help us (vs. Colts) by giving us advice. So, I hope they retain him, too...which would push Snyder back into a backup role.

2) I don't think we would retain Bly. I like how he signed for what...vet minimum to prove he's still got what it takes. But I feel he had an up and down season. I would rather free up his spot for FA or Draft and see if anyone can take the Nickel spot w/ Spencer and Clements starting. I don't expect Harris to return, but we'll see on that.

Otherwise, good job...I like this change of pace over the mock threads.
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Just a couple of things:

1) I think we retain Sims and Pashos, neither becomes expendable. Sims would be good as a back up LT/RT. Although Pashos signed on only for a year, I liked how he was willing to help us (vs. Colts) by giving us advice. So, I hope they retain him, too...which would push Snyder back into a backup role.

2) I don't think we would retain Bly. I like how he signed for what...vet minimum to prove he's still got what it takes. But I feel he had an up and down season. I would rather free up his spot for FA or Draft and see if anyone can take the Nickel spot w/ Spencer and Clements starting. I don't expect Harris to return, but we'll see on that.

Otherwise, good job...I like this change of pace over the mock threads.

1.) I can see the idea of keeping Sims and Pashos, but that leaves less room for a rookie or FA signing. The OL has been recognized as a problem area, so purges must be made. I like Pashos over Sims, since Sims is 35, but Sims has more versatility, so I don't know. If you figure 9 spots for OL on the roster, we have Staley, Baas, Heitmann, Rachal, and Snyder as locks. That leaves four spots available. One will go to a rookie OT, one will go to either Wragge or Wallace as an interior back-up, one will go either Sims or Pashos as a backup OT, and the last spot will be another interior guy from the draft or FA.

2.) The team is already short-handed at CB and I think they push to keep Bly for continuity sake. Clements, Spencer, and Brown are locks to be back, so Bly wouldn't have to start every game, but he is a great guy to have for nickel/dime packages.
For all those who hate Snyder, for the record, Snyder has had to play every position on the line except center.
Several years ago, when he was filling in for Jennings at LT (his college position), he did a good job, and few were b*#ching about him then.
Now that he was finally given an opportunity to start at one position (RT) he has struggled in the early part of the season. At the end of the season however, he played fairly well.

Sims moved back to his natural position at LT, and everyone can agree that he played like a completely different player. Likewise, I believe, unfortunately, that Snyder's best position is also LT.

The only RT's we have on the roster at the moment (who can play worth a lick), are Pashos and Snyder.
Just to remind everybody, when Pashos came in, he was barely an upgrade at all at RT. He gave up a lot of pressure too.
Another point to make about RT.
When Alex Smith feels pressure, he always rolls where? To his right. Rarely does he run left. Guess who blocks on the right. Exactly, the RT.
I have seen plenty of times where Smith AND Hill have sacked themselves by running chaotically to the right, right into the defender.

Snyder has not been good most of the year, its true. But the man who has been asked to play every position but center, is not as bad as everyone wishes he were.

For the foreseeable future, we have no depth at RT, because Pashos is not guaranteed to be here in 2010. Snyder is not going anywhere. In fact, with a year under his belt, he might still have a chance to pick up next year where he left off this year, as a solid, if perhaps backup, RT.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
For all those who hate Snyder, for the record, Snyder has had to play every position on the line except center.
Several years ago, when he was filling in for Jennings at LT (his college position), he did a good job, and few were b*#ching about him then.
Now that he was finally given an opportunity to start at one position (RT) he has struggled in the early part of the season. At the end of the season however, he played fairly well.

Sims moved back to his natural position at LT, and everyone can agree that he played like a completely different player. Likewise, I believe, unfortunately, that Snyder's best position is also LT.

The only RT's we have on the roster at the moment (who can play worth a lick), are Pashos and Snyder.
Just to remind everybody, when Pashos came in, he was barely an upgrade at all at RT. He gave up a lot of pressure too.
Another point to make about RT.
When Alex Smith feels pressure, he always rolls where? To his right. Rarely does he run left. Guess who blocks on the right. Exactly, the RT.
I have seen plenty of times where Smith AND Hill have sacked themselves by running chaotically to the right, right into the defender.

Snyder has not been good most of the year, its true. But the man who has been asked to play every position but center, is not as bad as everyone wishes he were.

For the foreseeable future, we have no depth at RT, because Pashos is not guaranteed to be here in 2010. Snyder is not going anywhere. In fact, with a year under his belt, he might still have a chance to pick up next year where he left off this year, as a solid, if perhaps backup, RT.

I agree with you completely. Snyder is a valuable player for this team. He is value, however, is as a reserve. If we upgrade the RT position I would feel comfortable with him backing up 4 of the 5 OL positions. As a starter, he is a weak link but as a reserve he's above average.
Share 49ersWebzone