There are 121 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why not draft a RB in the First Round???

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Fix the OL with our first two picks then go Javhid Best in the 2nd. Then everyone is happy the OL people and RB people.
  • tmg808
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by mayo63:
Fix the OL with our first two picks then go Javhid Best in the 2nd. Then everyone is happy the OL people and RB people.

Who's going to return punts?? Jahvid Best has never done it. You have to put players that you trust back there. Both Spiller and him have world class speed but Spiller is a better receiver and can return punts, both places where 49ers could use help
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tmg808:

Who's going to return punts?? Jahvid Best has never done it. You have to put players that you trust back there. Both Spiller and him have world class speed but Spiller is a better receiver and can return punts, both places where 49ers could use help

Reggie Bush will be our KR/PR guy.
  • tmg808
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Overkill:
Originally posted by kronik:

Do you want to stay in rebuilding mode?? Do you want to waist another season trying to start two rookie OL?? Did you see what happen to Jacksonville's passing game this year. There rookie Tackles couldn't handle pass protection in the NFL.

I understand what you are saying, but what choice do we have? Have you seen the UFA list if there is no CBA? Its very short and not particularly impressive.

We have to fix the OL before we can possibly expect the offense to be functional. That most likely means we'll have to start two rookie OL. Its not ideal but its about the only option we have. Hoping for a fix in FA or praying next year is the year Baas finally plays well aren't very practical solutions.

Maybe this poster thinks we should never draft a rookie OL starter ever. Good luck finding good starting OL in free agency buddy. LOL

This is not an argument about drafting a lineman this is an argument about using one draft pick on one player. The facts are on the original posting. It's a defense for one player. Offensive line is great but if there are not two really good OL available in the 1st round then why not get a really good player that fills a lot of needs. Most player rankings have only two offensive lineman ranked in their top 15 so why reach for a need. I think u get the best player available that can fit a need on the team.

Spiller adds speed to the offense (track guy second in the 100 in ACC last year.) A good RB,good receiver, and experienced returner of punts and kickoff (not just grabbing a guy thats fast and throwing him back there)

So basically your argument is need vs BPA?

Well I feel they both have to come into balance. You look at the Crabtree pick versus Alex Smith pick. 49ers wanted OL but Crabtree was there so they went with him because he was the best player and another need on the team, and he seems to be the answer at WR. Then you look when the 49ers forced the Alex Smith pick and we are still looking to see if he is the answer at QB. If there is a really good OL that is worth the pick there, I would love that pick, but if not and Spiller is available then I would love to see them pull the trigger on Spiller as well.
  • tmg808
  • Info N/A

Saints were second to last in punt return average... 49ers last
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Saints were second to last in punt return average... 49ers last

Then he should fit right in, seriously, I wouldn't mind a Spiller pick I just want to make sure we address our OL so we can run that smash mouth style that Sing perfers.
Originally posted by kronik:

Do you want to stay in rebuilding mode?? Do you want to waist another season trying to start two rookie OL?? Did you see what happen to Jacksonville's passing game this year. There rookie Tackles couldn't handle pass protection in the NFL.

I understand what you are saying, but what choice do we have? Have you seen the UFA list if there is no CBA? Its very short and not particularly impressive.

We have to fix the OL before we can possibly expect the offense to be functional. That most likely means we'll have to start two rookie OL. Its not ideal but its about the only option we have. Hoping for a fix in FA or praying next year is the year Baas finally plays well aren't very practical solutions.

Maybe this poster thinks we should never draft a rookie OL starter ever. Good luck finding good starting OL in free agency buddy. LOL

This is not an argument about drafting a lineman this is an argument about using one draft pick on one player. The facts are on the original posting. It's a defense for one player. Offensive line is great but if there are not two really good OL available in the 1st round then why not get a really good player that fills a lot of needs. Most player rankings have only two offensive lineman ranked in their top 15 so why reach for a need. I think u get the best player available that can fit a need on the team.

Spiller adds speed to the offense (track guy second in the 100 in ACC last year.) A good RB,good receiver, and experienced returner of punts and kickoff (not just grabbing a guy thats fast and throwing him back there)

So basically your argument is need vs BPA?

Well I feel they both have to come into balance. You look at the Crabtree pick versus Alex Smith pick. 49ers wanted OL but Crabtree was there so they went with him because he was the best player and another need on the team, and he seems to be the answer at WR. Then you look when the 49ers forced the Alex Smith pick and we are still looking to see if he is the answer at QB. If there is a really good OL that is worth the pick there, I would love that pick, but if not and Spiller is available then I would love to see them pull the trigger on Spiller as well.

I agree with that. I thought you were arguing against spending two picks on the OL this year simply because starting two rookies there would be bad. I'm not sure we can avoid that unless we choose not to address the OG position.

I guess I'm basically the same thing you are from a different angle - if OL is the BPA, than we have to take him. If Spiller is CLEARLY the BPA, than I wouldn't pass on him to reach for a RT or OG.
  • dman
  • Veteran
Shonn Green ...
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by dman:
Shonn Green ...

Leon Washington would be the more likely pick up from the Jets.
  • dman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by smileyman:
Shonn Green ...

I just meant to point out that this rookie RB that the Jets drafted (not sure what round) while they already had Jones made a serious impact ... as did Felix Jones who was taken in the first round by a team with Marion Barber.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by smileyman:
Shonn Green ...

I just meant to point out that this rookie RB that the Jets drafted (not sure what round) while they already had Jones made a serious impact ... as did Felix Jones who was taken in the first round by a team with Marion Barber.

3rd round.

Both teams were already a Running team. A 2 back running team at that.