There are 181 users in the forums

after the fiesta bowl: i like j hughes!

• rtj03
  • Veteran
I know he didnt do much. They doubled him often.

But his attitude is mean and nasty. From the very first series and his penalty to his demeanor on the field.

Him and Brooks will be real nice on the edges!

He reminded me of Harrison from the steelers.
He didn't play too bad considering how Boise Sate ran their offense. They threw a lot of quick passes and 3 step drops. Hell their qb was only sacked 5 times all year...that's insane!!!

He got pressure on the qb a couple of times. Made some nice plays vs the run including a big forced fumble.

I was kind of puzzled why they had him drop back so many times but he kept playing hard all game.

I'm looking forward to seeing him during the Senior Bowl, more so the practices since the game itself is dumbed down.
Going into the game he was definitely someone i was really worried about. I was contently having to yell my ass off at Moore to get rid of the ball anytime Hughes was getting too close for comfort.
  • rtj03
  • Veteran
He did drop back into coverage to often.

Where do you see him going? What pick? i figure late first or he will be like Robert Ayers last year and someone will draft him early.
He's been good all year. Not just in this game.
Hughes didn't look like a 1st-rounder to me. Easily fooled by misdirection and flanker reverse. Showed a speed rush and a decent bull rush but not much of a spin move. Doubled some of the time but also handled by the RT straight up much of the time. Strength and quickness, for sure, but not a game-changer. I thought both teams looked a class below the big-conference powers. I'd consider him in the 2nd, or for sure in the 3rd.
Originally posted by rivercity:
Hughes didn't look like a 1st-rounder to me. Easily fooled by misdirection and flanker reverse. Showed a speed rush and a decent bull rush but not much of a spin move. Doubled some of the time but also handled by the RT straight up much of the time. Strength and quickness, for sure, but not a game-changer. I thought both teams looked a class below the big-conference powers. I'd consider him in the 2nd, or for sure in the 3rd.

What are you expecting? Lawrence Taylor in his NFL prime?
Originally posted by dhp318:

What are you expecting? Lawrence Taylor in his NFL prime?

i'm with rivercity in that, he gave up the outside edge too easily.
he got sucked inside too quick with the misdirection.
THAT KILLS AN NFL D. That'd be something i'd like to talk long and hard
with him about. D is about playing as a team, knowing your responsibility,
and doing your job and not trying to always be the hero.
He seemed pretty raw, but definitely talented.
I'd give him a late 1st round grade if all the background and work ethic
questions are answered really well. I dont think he is 6'3" either.
i think senior bowl will have him at 6'13/4" or so.
he reminds me of lamar woodley a bit, and i really liked woodley.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A

Plus he was playing against a backup tackle. Boise State's starting tackle broke his ankle a week or two ago and was out.
Share 49ersWebzone