LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 319 users in the forums

Final Bowl Week Prospect Watch: (1/4 - 1/7)

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Not a good decision by LeFevour there.

No sacks for Lang yet. But a tackle for loss. Lang, while he has decent size, as well as production, is not particularly quick in the field of play. He might struggle in the transition to linebacker because his lateral agility is not all that great, and his upper body strength is also questioned. If he can prove he can drop into coverage, he'll go higher, but he currently grades out as a 3rd rounder.

Lang is sluggish on the field. To me, he looks like a 4th rounder. Just no burst of speed required to be a top 100 pick.

He could go in the 4th if he times as poorly as he looks, or gets washed out in the Senior Bowl (highly probable). That'll drop his grade for me. I still see him as a mid-late 3rd talent-wise overall at this point, but this can certainly change.

Name: Brandon Lang
College: Troy Number: 91
Height: 6-4 Weight: 256
Position: DE Pos2: OLB
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2010
40 Time: 4.82 40 Low: 4.67 40 High: 4.94
Projected Round: 3 Stock:
Rated number 6 out of 175 DE's 66 / 2706 TOTAL

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=10652&draftyear=2010&genpos=DE
Just over two hours to go before the NCS is underway.

I'm prepared to see:

-Colt McCoy exposed as an overhyped, overrated player, who no doubt is good, but not the "Top 20" kind of player many were proclaiming him to be last year.

-Terrance Cody to have a fairly good evening.

-Texas OT Adam Ulatoski to be absolutely manhandled. I hope we do not touch the guy.

I'm prepared to see:

-Colt McCoy exposed as an overhyped, overrated player, who no doubt is good, but not the "Top 20" kind of player many were proclaiming him to be last year.

-Texas OT Adam Ulatoski to be absolutely manhandled. I hope we do not touch the guy.

I agree about McCoy

I'm prepared to see:

I am surprised Cody isn't higher on draft boards. As we know those dominant 3-4 NT's are very rare. I think he is the best NT to come out since Wilfork and Ngata.
Originally posted by 9er2631:

I'm prepared to see:

I am surprised Cody isn't higher on draft boards. As we know those dominant 3-4 NT's are very rare. I think he is the best NT to come out since Wilfork and Ngata.

It is hard to spend a high draft pick on a two down player.
Originally posted by 9er2631:

I'm prepared to see:

I'm not really because he might turn into just an overweight blob once he signs a large contract. While William Perry had a few good years, his legendary attacks on the South Carolina chicken population in the off season were memorable.

I also think that you just can't carry that kind of weight over an extended period of time and not have it affect your health, think joint wear through your career.

The knock on Ted Washington and the reason the 49ers let him go, was that he took alot of plays off. It wasn't until he got "hungrier" in his career and smarter that he became a good player.
Btw, I can understand why Bama doesn't give the ball much to senior RB Roy Upchurch...when you have Ingram and Richardson in the same backfield, you're not going to get many carries. That said, Upchurch is an absolute stud and big back who runs hard and usually makes something good happen when he gets the ball. Not saying we need another big back at the moment, but he's an interesting prospect to keep any eye on.
Well, here we go, folks. This is it.

Won't be the end of the prospect watch threads though. We've still got East-West Shrine and the Senior Bowl to come.
Looks like McCoy may have already been knocked out of the game.
Earl Thomas continues to shrink. I always thought he looked short, but I've been trying to compare his height with other players tonight, and the guy is a shrimp. Tiny.

If he is 5'10", then I am 7' tall. He's no more than 5'8 1/2, 180-185 pounds. And Ingram ran right through him.

Buyer Beware. I wouldn't touch this guy with a ten foot pole. This is not a stout Bob Sanders.

Mack Brown is going to lose this game unless he takes off the training wheels with this backup QB. The most predictable series of playcalls I have seen since Jim Hostler.

Pretend like you are playing for a national championship.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jan 7, 2010 at 18:26:48 ]
Earl Thomas continues to shrink. I always thought he looked short, but I've been trying to compare his height with other players tonight, and the guy is a shrimp. Tiny.

If he is 5'10", then I am 7' tall. He's no more than 5'8 1/2, 180-185 pounds. And Ingram ran right through him.

Buyer Beware. I wouldn't touch this guy with a ten foot pole. This is not a stout Bob Sanders.

I'd have to think that the NFL's Draft Advisory board would NOT be grading him as a first if this is the case. They do not encourage players to enter, and Thomas has made it clear that he intends to enter the draft if he knows he will receive "first round money."

He makes a lot of plays, but you're absolutely right. Earl is no Bob Sanders. I'd prefer the 49ers target Reshad Jones or T.J. Ward.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 7, 2010 at 18:30:23 ]
I do believe that's already a sack and an interception for Arenas tonight.

I'd have to think that the NFL's Draft Advisory board would NOT be grading him as a first if this is the case. They do not encourage players to enter, and Thomas has made it clear that he intends to enter the draft if he knows he will receive "first round money."

He makes a lot of plays, but you're absolutely right. Earl is no Bob Sanders. I'd prefer the 49ers target Reshad Jones or T.J. Ward.

I haven't heard any reports from the advisory board that he has he been graded a first. If so, let me know where you found it. I'd be interested in checking that out, for sure.

There is no doubt that he is a solid coverage FS, but could you imagine him trying to take on Brandon Marshall, or T.O. in coverage. He's tiny, and I'd be very concerned if he attempted to tackle a Frank Gore, Steven Jackson, Adrian Peterson. They might just bust him in half.

Made one good tackle in run support so far, but took bad angle on the long TD run, and gets destroyed anytime a lineman gets close. I am not impressed at all.

Texas faces so many passing teams that I have rarely seen him in run support. Just not a good performance.

The bottom line, he's not ready to play in the NFL. Against good Big 12 QB's last year, he picked two balls. Against poor Big 12 QB's in 2009, he's had 8.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jan 7, 2010 at 19:02:31 ]

I haven't heard any reports from the advisory board that he has he been graded a first. If so, let me know where you found it. I'd be interested in checking that out, for sure.

There is no doubt that he is a solid coverage FS, but could you imagine him trying to take on Brandon Marshall, or T.O. in coverage. He's tiny, and I'd be very concerned if he attempted to tackle a Frank Gore, Steven Jackson, Adrian Peterson. They might just bust him in half.

Made one good tackle in run support so far, but took bad angle on the long TD run, and gets destroyed anytime a lineman gets close. I am not impressed at all.

Texas faces so many passing teams that I have rarely seen him in run support. Just not a good performance.

No reports on what grade Thomas received; only reports that Thomas said it would be "impossible" for him to turn down first round money. He apparently is still waiting to hear back from the advisory board. I am still doubtful he's going to come out, and if he did, that would be a bad decision.

Sure, the label of "ballhawk" is nice, but even Ko Simpson (who has FAR better size than Earl Thomas does) dropped all the way to the 4th round after entering as a sophomore, albeit from some other issues.
Share 49ersWebzone