There are 189 users in the forums

Final Bowl Week Prospect Watch: (1/4 - 1/7)

Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Wow. What the heck was Dwyer thinking there? What on earth... was that...

what happened

run backwards on an option pitch for an 11 yard loss and got tackled at the 1
Originally posted by Thorhawk:

what happened

And that about sums up the day. Tech is done. Congrats to Iowa on the victory. Heck of a game by both Calloway and Bulaga.

what happened

And that about sums up the day. Tech is done. Congrats to Iowa on the victory. Heck of a game by both Calloway and Bulaga.

I don't know why people are so down on Bualuga (talking about him as a low 1st rounder), I would be very happy with him at 13 or 16/17. I saw a very solid OT tonight...and most of the season
Any mock that doesn't have us drafting Bulaga should be put to shame.

-9fA
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

what happened

I don't know why people are so down on Bualuga (talking about him as a low 1st rounder), I would be very happy with him at 13 or 16/17. I saw a very solid OT tonight...and most of the season

To be fair, Baluga was very inconsistent at the beginning of the year coming off of a thyroid problem, but he really turned it on late in the year. And I thought he played outstanding against GT today.

Would love to have him in a 49er uniform
[ Edited by Thorhawk on Jan 5, 2010 at 8:47 PM ]
Prospect watch was pretty revealing tonight. For Iowa, Bulaga had a solid game both in the run game and pass protection. AJ Edds and Pat Angerer showed some good to great LB play. Even Calloway did a decent job playing OG instead of RT. Too bad Clayborn in staying put because he played very well on the national stage.

For Georgia Tech, Morgan showed flashes, but overall did not have a good game. Burnett showed some good speed and tackling from the safety position. Dwyer did not have a good game at all, especially the bonehead try to reverse his field in the shadow of his own goal post.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Prospect watch was pretty revealing tonight. For Iowa, Bulaga had a solid game both in the run game and pass protection. AJ Edds and Pat Angerer showed some good to great LB play. Even Calloway did a decent job playing OG instead of RT. Too bad Clayborn in staying put because he played very well on the national stage.

For Georgia Tech, Morgan showed flashes, but overall did not have a good game. Burnett showed some good speed and tackling from the safety position. Dwyer did not have a good game at all, especially the bonehead try to reverse his field in the shadow of his own goal post.

Clayborn said he was returning but after seeing him play tonight on national tv and his draft stock probably skyrocketing compared to the other DE/OLBs, I think he might change his mind. JMO though.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

Clayborn said he was returning but after seeing him play tonight on national tv and his draft stock probably skyrocketing compared to the other DE/OLBs, I think he might change his mind. JMO though.

Clayborn is staying put. Period. Another year like this one and he could be a top 5 pick.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Why is the GMAC BOWL, Central Michigan vs. Troy being played on the eve of the National Championship game? I thought only BCS games are played leading up to the Citi Bowl.
Originally posted by mayo63:
Why is the GMAC BOWL, Central Michigan vs. Troy being played on the eve of the National Championship game? I thought only BCS games are played leading up to the Citi Bowl.

Don't know, but it's football and there are some prospects on both sides that may be of interest. Dan LeFevour QB from Central Michigan and Brandon Lang DE/OLB from Troy are the ones to keep an eye on.

I thought Dwyers boneheaded play was pretty dumb.

However, the fake field goal by Iowa could have turned a solid performance into a stupid mistake that could have cost them big. Now for the folks who question some of our coaching calls, that call was made by the HC of Iowa who has been on a lot of radars as the next college coach to go Pro HC and make a big splash.

Point is, all coaches make mistakes.
Notes from the Iowa-GT game:

I've had the chance to see Iowa a number of times in 2009, and this team is very tough, and plays hard on every down. They represented the Big Ten well.

To me, mixed reviews on Bulaga. He pass protected well in the game, and he runs down the field well on running plays.

However, I thought he showed some issues when run blocking at the LOS. In the second half, he drew a holding penalty and lost on two other runs (one badly on a stumble). In all three situations, he didn't get his pad level under the DE and LB, and was forced off balance. So, I don't think he graded out anywhere near Iupati (although at a different position). In fact, I think the best Iowa OL on the field last night was Calloway, who played very well at guard, even though he is normally the RT. Solid performance.

The second half is not going in the highlight reel for Derrick Morgan, who was way too quiet. He simply didn't apply much pressure, or run support well. He needs to go back to school and work on these things, although he will probably come out and get drafted high.

Burnett is a pretty good athlete, and one smart player. He prevented the field goal kicker from getting around the corner and scoring on the fake. Excellent read and react.

Thomas needs to go back to school. He is NOT ready for the NFL.

I graded Edds better than Angerer, who took some poor angles. Edds is probably not what the Niners are looking for, as he is a great fit as a 4-3 OLB. However, he looks solid on the field.
MD, any reason given why they had him playing Guard instead of ROT?
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Notes from the Iowa-GT game:

I've had the chance to see Iowa a number of times in 2009, and this team is very tough, and plays hard on every down. They represented the Big Ten well.

To me, mixed reviews on Bulaga. He pass protected well in the game, and he runs down the field well on running plays.

However, I thought he showed some issues when run blocking at the LOS. In the second half, he drew a holding penalty and lost on two other runs (one badly on a stumble). In all three situations, he didn't get his pad level under the DE and LB, and was forced off balance. So, I don't think he graded out anywhere near Iupati (although at a different position). In fact, I think the best Iowa OL on the field last night was Calloway, who played very well at guard, even though he is normally the RT. Solid performance.

The second half is not going in the highlight reel for Derrick Morgan, who was way too quiet. He simply didn't apply much pressure, or run support well. He needs to go back to school and work on these things, although he will probably come out and get drafted high.

Burnett is a pretty good athlete, and one smart player. He prevented the field goal kicker from getting around the corner and scoring on the fake. Excellent read and react.

Thomas needs to go back to school. He is NOT ready for the NFL.

I graded Edds better than Angerer, who took some poor angles. Edds is probably not what the Niners are looking for, as he is a great fit as a 4-3 OLB. However, he looks solid on the field.

Do you really think Thomas will be ready for the NFL playing another year under that offense? It looks pretty difficult for him to get better in an offense where the QB never throws the ball and he's blocking 90% of the time or they're using the option. He's not going to learn how to be a better WR by going back and playing in the same high school offense IMO.
Not a good decision by LeFevour there.

No sacks for Lang yet. But a tackle for loss. Lang, while he has decent size, as well as production, is not particularly quick in the field of play. He might struggle in the transition to linebacker because his lateral agility is not all that great, and his upper body strength is also questioned. If he can prove he can drop into coverage, he'll go higher, but he currently grades out as a 3rd rounder.
Share 49ersWebzone