There are 83 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

OFFICIAL Senior Bowl 2010

Originally posted by miked1978:
Can Alex Carrington play end in our 3-4? He's listed at 6'5" 284lbs. He seems to be impressing many at the senior Bowl.


Sounds like Carrington might be able to play in a 3-4: this from si.com:
"Carrington entered the game branded as a quick athlete who lacked the strength to beat larger blockers. Thus far, he's quelled that criticism. Carrington has displayed a complete game over the first two days and has run over blockers besides beating them off the corner. Carrington beat the highly rated Mike Iupati in drills and was loudly commended by coaches on the field."

this from scott wright:
"After an eye-opening performance yesterday Arkansas State DE Alex Carrington stood out again. In fact, one of the highlights of the morning was when Carrington plowed over Shawn Lauvao. That play drew a huge reaction from his teammates and onlookers. New addition Thomas Welch got a rude welcome in his first practice when Carrington gave him the same treatment. Needless to say Carrington is extremely powerful and aggressive."

Another player we're apparently looking at is Virginia CB Chris Cook (6-2, 210). This from si:
"Cook was another player who put the pieces together on the final day of full pads practice. He's presented himself as a big, physical cornerback that physically beats down opponents all week. On Wednesday he started to make plays on the ball and consistently broke up a number of passes."

My sense is we're going offense with our 1st-rounders, then looking for defensive sleeper picks. Too bad Perrish Cox is looking so impressive at the Sr. Bowl. He'd be a great fit for us, but might even go first round.
This is such a great draft season, with 2 first-rounders, a deep draft in our positions of need, and the team itself seemingly on the verge of something good. I heart the draft.
[ Edited by rivercity on Jan 28, 2010 at 12:48 PM ]
Any word on Austen Lane?
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Any word on Austen Lane?

Disappointing so far, according to scott wright: "Murray State DE Austen Lane struggled to get off of blocks and required repeated instruction from the coaching staff."
Originally posted by rivercity:
Originally posted by miked1978:
Can Alex Carrington play end in our 3-4? He's listed at 6'5" 284lbs. He seems to be impressing many at the senior Bowl.


Sounds like Carrington might be able to play in a 3-4: this from si.com:
"Carrington entered the game branded as a quick athlete who lacked the strength to beat larger blockers. Thus far, he's quelled that criticism. Carrington has displayed a complete game over the first two days and has run over blockers besides beating them off the corner. Carrington beat the highly rated Mike Iupati in drills and was loudly commended by coaches on the field."

this from scott wright:
"After an eye-opening performance yesterday Arkansas State DE Alex Carrington stood out again. In fact, one of the highlights of the morning was when Carrington plowed over Shawn Lauvao. That play drew a huge reaction from his teammates and onlookers. New addition Thomas Welch got a rude welcome in his first practice when Carrington gave him the same treatment. Needless to say Carrington is extremely powerful and aggressive."

Another player we're apparently looking at is Virginia CB Chris Cook (6-2, 210). This from si:
"Cook was another player who put the pieces together on the final day of full pads practice. He's presented himself as a big, physical cornerback that physically beats down opponents all week. On Wednesday he started to make plays on the ball and consistently broke up a number of passes."

My sense is we're going offense with our 1st-rounders, then looking for defensive sleeper picks. Too bad Perrish Cox is looking so impressive at the Sr. Bowl. He'd be a great fit for us, but might even go first round.
This is such a great draft season, with 2 first-rounders, a deep draft in our positions of need, and the team itself seemingly on the verge of something good. I heart the draft.

See I follow Scott Wright's website a lot and I saw where he stated that he ran over a few people so thats what got me thinking. I wonder how much he's going to move up draft boards? I don't think we need an DE in the first few rounds but he should would be nice in the mid to late rounds.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Any word on Austen Lane?

He's looking decent out there. Shows great quickness and uses his hands violently. However, once the o-lineman has him hooked, he can't quite get off the block.
Don't know if this has been posted but.....

CB Kyle Wilson apparently rolled into Mobile, AL in this:




in other news: NFLdraftcountdown saw the 49ers talking to G Jeff Byers USC on Wednesday.
^^

The Byers thing brings up another good point. If our team is moving towards more of a zone-blocking approach (not likely, but you never know), Byers would be an ideal OG choice.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
^^

The Byers thing brings up another good point. If our team is moving towards more of a zone-blocking approach (not likely, but you never know), Byers would be an ideal OG choice.

And he could be had in the later rounds I'm sure, but I suspect Scot might reach for him possibly as high as the 4th, due to the scarcity of guards.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
^^

The Byers thing brings up another good point. If our team is moving towards more of a zone-blocking approach (not likely, but you never know), Byers would be an ideal OG choice.

And he could be had in the later rounds I'm sure, but I suspect Scot might reach for him possibly as high as the 4th, due to the scarcity of guards.

Scot does have a tendancy to reach in the middle rounds to fill positions of need (see Joe Cohen, Jay Moore, Cody Wallace, etc.).
ok guys I'm going to go to Mobile today as they are having a "Meet the players" function where fans can get autographs.

Who should I try and get? Myron Rollo is a definite bc I'm an FSU fan but who will have a good NFL career?
Originally posted by miked1978:
ok guys I'm going to go to Mobile today as they are having a "Meet the players" function where fans can get autographs.

Who should I try and get? Myron Rollo is a definite bc I'm an FSU fan but who will have a good NFL career?

FSU fan really? Your lying, if you were a fsu fan, you wouldn't have butchered the kids last name
CNNSI's Tony Pauline thinks there is only one sure 1st rounder at the Senior Bowl:

DT/DE Jared Ordick

Quote:
NFL scouts and general managers were disappointed in the overall talent on this year's Senior Bowl roster. Just one player, Penn State's Jared Odrick, leaves the week as a certain first-round choice. This compares to last year when 11 veterans were selected in the opening round.

His list of risers and fallers from the Senior Bowl: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/01/27/senior.bowl.day.3/index.html
More Risers & Fallers from Senior Bowl week

http://chi.scout.com/2/942004.html

For example, scouts entered the week knowing Penn State defensive tackle Jared Odrick, Michigan linebacker Brandon Graham and Idaho guard Mike Iupati could play. Their strong performances in Mobile only reinforced their high grades.

However, these prospects did manage to either significantly improve their status – or hurt it.

RISERS
RB LeGarrette Blount, Oregon: Blount still has a long way to go to guarantee being drafted after his well-documented cheap shot of a Boise State player in the season opener. Scouts have been impressed with his contrition in interviews and utter lack of contrition on the field. Quicker than he looks, Blount's raw power makes him an intriguing option for a team needing a big back to run out of the I-formation.

DE Alex Carrington, Arkansas State: He may have entered the week of practice among the least-hyped defensive players on the entire Senior Bowl roster, but after this week every NFL team knows his name. Carrington's rare combination of size (6-5, 284 pounds) and strength makes him an intriguing prospect at end for the 3-4 and 4-3 schemes. That versatility could result in a second-round grade.

TE Jimmy Graham, Miami: The Hurricanes' established history of churning out tight ends is in good hands with Graham, the ex-basketball player who only returned to the gridiron for his senior season. Graham won't wow you with his pop as a blocker, but he's remarkably smooth running routes and adjusting to poorly-thrown passes for a man of his size (6-6, 260) and experience.

FALLERS
QB Sean Canfield, Oregon State: Canfield rode a breakout senior campaign to Mobile. But once there the first-team All-Pac-10 passer was unable to drive the ball consistently outside the hashes. Canfield's timing and touch could make him successful in a West Coast passing attack, but he may have eliminated his chances at being a top-five quarterback with his weak-armed effort.

WR Mardy Gilyard, Cincinnati: The first-team All-Big East performer may have been the week's most disappointing prospect. Scouts anticipated that the 6-0, 179-pounder might struggle with press coverage, but the sticky hands that had helped him emerge as one of the country's most dependable playmakers over the past two seasons abandoned him this week. Gilyard dropped multiple passes each day.

OT Sam Young, Notre Dame: The highly-touted prep athlete served as an effective pass blocker in Charlie Weis' pro-style offense. Despite operating exclusively at right tackle, his lack of foot quickness and flexibility was quickly exposed by the speed of Senior Bowl defensive ends this week. Even worse, at 6-8, he's too tall to move inside to guard.
Scout.com's Adam Caplan grades the Senior Bowl QBs:

http://profootball.scout.com/2/941995.html
Media members give their 1st team Senior Bowl players based on their week of practicing: http://profootball.scout.com/2/941954.html

QB: Jarrett Brown, West Virginia
RB: LeGarrette Blount, Oregon
RB: Rashawn Jackson, Virginia
WR: Dexter McCluster, Ole Miss
WR: Jacoby Ford, Clemson
TE: Jimmy Graham, Miami
OT: Ciron Black, LSU
OT: John Jerry, Ole Miss
OG: Mike Iupati, Idaho
OG: Vladimir Ducasse, Massachusetts
C: J.D. Walton, Baylor
DE: Brandon Graham, Michigan
DE: Alex Carrington, Arkansas State
DT: Jared Odrick, Penn State
DT: Dan Williams, Tennessee
LB: Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri
LB: Daryl Washington, TCU
LB: Donald Butler, Washington
CB: Kyle Wilson, Boise State
CB: Patrick Robinson, Florida State
S: Taylor Mays, USC
S: Nate Allen, South Florida
KR/PR: Jacoby Ford, Clemson
K: Brett Swenson, Michigan State
P: Matt Dodge, East Carolina