There are 178 users in the forums

OFFICIAL Senior Bowl 2010

Originally posted by Superbowl09:
Originally posted by Butter:
Originally posted by 49ers1fan1982:
Originally posted by ninertico:
"Idaho OL Mike Iupati -- There is not a weakness in Iupati's game when he's lined up at guard. His quick first step, lateral quickness, and long arms make him a dominant force inside, and he is a nasty finisher who is not satisfied until defenders are on their backs. And while he struggled a bit when moved to left tackle during practice, Iupati is stepping up against the higher level of competition and based on what we've seen we have no problem giving him a late-first round grade as a guard. In fact, he's the best guard prospect we've seen in the last two drafts."--ESPN Insider

Larry Allen Part Deux? But is he worth our second first if he is only slated as a guard?

That's the money question.

Yes.

The bst situation for us would be to move back in the 1st round and try to acquire another 2nd round pick. The we could go OT and OG in the 1st round and still have 2 quality picks in the 2nd round.

That would be great, but I don't see it happening. Because this is a deep draft, not many teams are going to want to move up. I would love to do it though, because I do think we could get Iupati later in the first, just as long as we pick before NE, who would definately pick him if he is there.

Are you thinking they should trade back from #13 or #16/17?

Man, I waffle back and forth on this. I have got to believe that the Niners can get a starting quality RT at 16/17. However, with Seattle sitting there at #14, and needing all that Oline help, they will probably take Oline as well.

I'd love to see the Niners roll the dice, move back and end up with:

#16/17
Late first
Early 2nd
2nd

BPAOT @ #16
Iupati with late first
Brandon Grahm with early 2nd
Rashad Jones with 2nd
McCluster with 3rd

I don't know if I'd take those specific players, but that's exactly what I was thinking as well.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Butter you got your first box. Maybe it's a good sign that the draft will fall that way for us.
[ Edited by mayo63 on Jan 26, 2010 at 3:24 PM ]
Originally posted by mayo63:
Butter you got your first box. Maybe it's a good sign that the draft will fall that way for us.

Yeah! Its like going from the big wheels to a bike with training wheels...lol.

• smileyman
  • Info N/A
Here's a dumb question, do they practice KR/PR at the Senior Bowl?

If so, can anyone report on who looks good to fill that need?

They do. I didn't catch that part of the practice though
Originally posted by solidg2000:
My biggest question of the day is

Did Mike Nolan go to Miami just to coach the senior bowl?

Actually, the only reason that Tony Sparano hired him was because he had so much experience coaching the Senior Bowl.

• mayo49
  • Veteran

Yeah! Its like going from the big wheels to a bike with training wheels...lol.

Butter, you maybe our good luck charm.
Originally posted by TheBlueHell:
Jacoby Ford is having a great showing so far...

He’s got a second, third and fourth gear

The most impressive wideout on the North side was Clemson standout Jacoby Ford, who consistently was able to generate separation all afternoon. Ford is a former track star with elite explosion and vertical speed and does a great job eating up cushion off the snap and driving cornerbacks off his routes. He was the one guy who really seemed to intimidate opposing corners in coverage and consistently was able to find the football quickly and adjust to the throw. Ford looks capable of creating big plays for himself any time he’s on the field and has the makings of a legitimate slot threat.
- nationalfootballpost.com (today)

The National Football Post led yesterday's coverage with another item on Ford:

1. Clemson wideout Jacoby Ford was impressive today. He was explosive off the snap, ate up the cushion quickly and consistently separated all afternoon vs. man coverage. On a day in which the North quarterbacks struggled with their accuracy, Ford repeatedly found ways to make the tough catch. When we asked him after practice where he feels most comfortable playing at the next level, Ford responded, “Both ways [in the slot or outside] are fine with me. I just want to get out there and make plays.”

More on Ford from CBSsports.com:

Pike's teammate, Mardy Gilyard, and Clemson's Jacoby Ford took advantage of the lack of accuracy by their quarterbacks to show scouts their ability to snatch the ball away from their bodies.

Ford in particular showed outstanding hands most of the day, dropping only a couple of passes in drills when he allowed the ball to get too far into his chest. When matched up against a corner, however, he created separation with good foot quickness in his routes and caught wildly inaccurate throws from all three quarterbacks. He stands only 5-feet-9 and 180 pounds, but he's a prototypical slot receiver with a lot of potential as a return man.

Report from Draftguys.com:

Jacoby Ford (Clemson): He was the most consistent receiver on the north squad today. He wasn’t as quick out of his cuts as Gilyard, but he was fast enough and in control of his body. What he did better than all of the receivers as catch the football. In fact, I don’t remember seeing him drop a pass in any drill. He was also frequently getting open in the one-on-one, five-on-seven, and 11-on-11 drills. The QBs targeted him mostly on shallow routes, but he also managed to get separation and make clean catches on deep outs. What was telling was the fact the north quarterbacks gained confidence in Ford early and increased his targets as the five-on-seven and 11-on-11 drills progressed. Interestingly, Ford’s impressive play in the team drills came after he cramped up just after a quick practice break while returning a kick off. He got cramps in both calves and literally waddled slowly down the field, stretching his calves for five minutes. However, when it was time to get opposite a corner, he looked perfectly fine until the very end of practice when he cramped up again. Nothing major, but telling that his body was acting up and he still looked like the most reliable receiver on the field for the north squad.

Jacoby Ford (Clemson) was the star of practice today for the North squad. He made several spectacular plays, and was the most consistent receiver on the field. Ford can high point passes, go down low for a catch, and is always using his hands and not his body to make a catch. He is very quick in and out of his breaks, and can gain separation when the coverage seems tight. He knows how to set up defenders, and is especially good at running comeback routes.

They haven't even really taken his return abilities into account yet. Looks like he's making a nice name for himself via his receiver abilities.

I have watched both days of the north practice, and thought Jacoby Ford didn't shine at all. For someone with that much track speed it certainly doesn't translate
to the field, and we already have Jason Hill.
Some notes:

* Mike Iupati- A fair number of sites with draft guys on the ground are mentioning that Iupati is the best OL at the Senior Bowl. He is dominant at guard, but his size, arm length and quickness is something teams are looking at in a transition to either LT or RT. Now, he was destroyed in one of the LT drills, but this is a guy who has not been coached up at the position, and I believe some team will find he simply needs to work on his technique. He's not a waist bender, so that is something teams are very interested to observe. Many teams, including the Cowboys, are taking a long, long look.

To me, this has been the choice for some time now, whether he plays RT, RG, LG. I can really care less. When did this team have a dominant, superstar OL? Make the pick at 13, play him anywhere, and move onto the 16th/17th selection.

* Kyle Wilson and Perrish Cox are stealing the show at CB. Both appear to be late first, early second rounders, which is a shame. I do not think either will be on the board when the Niners make their pick in the second round.

* Jon Asamoah of Illinois is such a terrific athlete. This guy is money, and he should be there when the Niners pick in the second round. Imagine how much more athletic we would be replacing Baas and Snyder with Iupati and Asamoah.

* This is the time of the year where the men are separated from the boys. I have loved Brandon Graham for a long time, and he is a STUD football player. He can run around, through, underneath OT's all day long.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Some notes:

* Mike Iupati- A fair number of sites with draft guys on the ground are mentioning that Iupati is the best OL at the Senior Bowl. He is dominant at guard, but his size, arm length and quickness is something teams are looking at in a transition to either LT or RT. Now, he was destroyed in one of the LT drills, but this is a guy who has not been coached up at the position, and I believe some team will find he simply needs to work on his technique. He's not a waist bender, so that is something teams are very interested to observe. Many teams, including the Cowboys, are taking a long, long look.

To me, this has been the choice for some time now, whether he plays RT, RG, LG. I can really care less. When did this team have a dominant, superstar OL? Make the pick at 13, play him anywhere, and move onto the 16th/17th selection.

* Kyle Wilson and Perrish Cox are stealing the show at CB. Both appear to be late first, early second rounders, which is a shame. I do not think either will be on the board when the Niners make their pick in the second round.

* Jon Asamoah of Illinois is such a terrific athlete. This guy is money, and he should be there when the Niners pick in the second round. Imagine how much more athletic we would be replacing Baas and Snyder with Iupati and Asamoah.

* This is the time of the year where the men are separated from the boys. I have loved Brandon Graham for a long time, and he is a STUD football player. He can run around, through, underneath OT's all day long.

MD, how do you grade Iupati or Asamoah's ability to deal with Suh? Personally, I can't see any realistic way that the Niners draft 2 OG's that high. Objectively, which one offers better value? Iupati with a 1st, or Asamoah with a later pick?

• smileyman
  • Info N/A

That's my wet dream. A line of Staley, Asamaoh, Heitmann, Rachal, Iupati. We'd be dominant.

What did you think of McCluster's performance today in the WR drills? To me he looked like a man playing with boys--he was so quick and crisp in his routes.
On one hand, Iupati might have trouble at tackle because of technique, but he just might be the next Anthony Davis instead. Which still isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I'm not sure if you take him 13.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Quote:
To me, this has been the choice for some time now, whether he plays RT, RG, LG. I can really care less. When did this team have a dominant, superstar OL? Make the pick at 13, play him .

Now more than ever I think he is safely there for us at #17. I think we can concentrate on BPA or RT at #13 and get our man Iupati with the next pick at #17.
[ Edited by mayo63 on Jan 26, 2010 at 4:19 PM ]
  • dj43
Some notes:

Iupati reminds me of D'Brickashaw Ferguson. He is not a waist-bender either but his footwork and quickness are just amazing. Iupati seems to have the same kind of quickness. Ferguson has such good footwork and quickness he often looks like he is just toying with DEs. No matter what a DL tries to do, he just negates their effort by staying in front of them.

The one thing I felt the 49ers lacked above all else was quickness in the OL. D'Brick was a #4 overall, IIRC. I would have no trouble with taking Iupati at #13. If the rest of his skill set is at all like Ferguson, it would be a steal.
Originally posted by dj43:
Some notes:

Iupati reminds me of D'Brickashaw Ferguson. He is not a waist-bender either but his footwork and quickness are just amazing. Iupati seems to have the same kind of quickness. Ferguson has such good footwork and quickness he often looks like he is just toying with DEs. No matter what a DL tries to do, he just negates their effort by staying in front of them.

The one thing I felt the 49ers lacked above all else was quickness in the OL. D'Brick was a #4 overall, IIRC. I would have no trouble with taking Iupati at #13. If the rest of his skill set is at all like Ferguson, it would be a steal.

Well, we are talking about someone who plays LT versus a project OG, or RT (at best). But I hear and agree with what you're saying.
Share 49ersWebzone