LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 269 users in the forums

OFFICIAL Senior Bowl 2010

Originally posted by Butter:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

* Jon Asamoah- Love the athlete if the Niners bypass OG in the first round. I think he's an upgrade over Baas and Rachal. Big, strong, mobile. Might break 5.00 at the combine.

Do you think the Niners could place Asamoah (R2, #49) on the starting line from day one? I know you advocate two OL in R1, but isn't the only way to replace either Baas (R2, #33) or Rachal (R2, #39) is with a first rounder?

I like the idea of drafting a OG in the 3rd or later. If they bring in a rookie, they could let him compete with Baas. That way they are not overpaying, but if they get one in the 3rd or 4th, the rookie might be able to beat out Baas head to head in TC.

If you are saying you want an OG in the 3rd or later but not earlier, I disagree. I think the Niners should draft an OG earlier. Baas was an overall #33 pick. Even if someone at #79 (3rd round) would beat out Baas, it will take most of training camp to do so. This delays potential continuity on the OL so critical to making an efficient unit.

I propose getting guard and a tackle early and let Baas compete with Rachal.
Mayock ranking McCoy ahead of Suh is not really a surprise to me. People forget that McCoy was a projected top 10 last year as a redshirt sophomore.

He's also a consensus top 3 player in this draft with Suh and Berry.

Suh clearly had the better season but the McCoy is right up there with him.
I really hope they try Iupati at T this week. His size, length, and athleticism all translate very well to the NFL game like Branden Albert.
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Here are some notes that I have been collecting:
*QB Sean Canfield, Oregon State- I have been concerned for some time with his arm strength, and did double-takes on reading some analysts say he has a strong arm. I just don't see it, and maybe the Senior Bowl is beginning to show this potential problem at the next level.

*Mike Iupati- I have been advocating for some time now using the 13th pick on this player. I understand it may be a reach, but I think he is special, and I'd hate to see another team reach at 14, 15, or 16 (if the Titans get that pick) to pick him. By the way, Iupati has the longest arms at the Senior Bowl: 35". Good sign.

* The corners- Kyle Wilson, Perrish Cox, Devin McCourty, Syd'Quan Thompson, Javier Arenas. Going into this week, I've been advocating a strong second round look at Kyle Wilson to take over the nickel and PR duties in 2009. He looked sharp today. He might be one of the fastest three or four players at the combine. Cox is also a terrific athlete. My only concern is off the field. Thompson is going to be exposed at the next level, unless he plays a Cover-2. I just do not think he has enough recovery speed. I like McCourty, but wonder if he can add PR to his outstanding skills in KR and special teams. Terrific athlete, and big time speed. And, I have been saying all along that Arenas is short, short, short. I believe he listed at 5'8". Yikes!!!

* Jon Asamoah- Love the athlete if the Niners bypass OG in the first round. I think he's an upgrade over Baas and Rachal. Big, strong, mobile. Might break 5.00 at the combine.

* Marty Gilyard- Another player I love in college, but not at the next level. I just don't see that extra gear to be a difference maker at WR. Just skeptical.

* Roger Saffold- I have no idea why he is not at the Senior Bowl. He was dominant at the East-West Shrine, and he is probably better than any OT on the Senior Bowl roster this week, now that Brown and Williams seem to be sitting this week out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Final note: If anyone scores in this game, on offense, I will be shocked. In fact, there might be more scoring on defense than offense.

where would you see iupati fitting in for 49ers---guard or right tackle? would you think he is a definete starter as a rookie? who would he displace?

I think if Scot falls in love with Iupati hell snag him with the 13th regardless of whether he'd start immediately or not. They did that with Hutch when he was in Seattle even though they were set at Guard. Don't be surprised if we pick up just a gaurd and a skill player in the first and address OT in the second onwards.
bad news, Schoefield, tore his ACL on that play with Ducasse.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

That's a horribly, horribly tough break for Schofield. I feel absolutely terrible for the guy. He looked so promising. I hope he recovers quickly and is able to strengthen the knee and play in 2011. I can't see him playing in 2010, but he will and should still most certainly be drafted.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 25, 2010 at 6:09 PM ]
Quote:
Mays makes big mistake
The South practiced in helmets, shoulder pads and shorts.

Southern California safety Taylor Mays drew the ire of one general manager and a team's top pro personnel man when he leveled wide receiver Andre Roberts (The Citadel) on a deep route. Mays was covering over the top to help the cornerback on the play.

In that drill, the NFL types just want to see Mays make a play on the ball. They can see how he hits on film or when everybody is in full pads.

Link
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Quote:
Mays makes big mistake

Southern California safety Taylor Mays drew the ire of one general manager and a team's top pro personnel man when he leveled wide receiver Andre Roberts (The Citadel) on a deep route. Mays was covering over the top to help the cornerback on the play.

In that drill, the NFL types just want to see Mays make a play on the ball. They can see how he hits on film or when everybody is in full pads.

Link

lmao, he actually laid him out?
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

That's a horribly, horribly tough break for Schofield. I feel absolutely terrible for the guy. He looked so promising. I hope he recovers quickly and is able to strengthen the knee and play in 2011. I can't see him playing in 2010, but he will and should still most certainly be drafted.

That really sucks. Could we get him later on in the draft though and wait for him to develop? How much you think this is going to drop his stock? Because I would pick him and then just wait for him to get healthy. He's that good. I figured it was bad when he was on the ground screaming and stuff.
Quote:
Mays makes big mistake

Link

Mays just doesn't get it. He has no ball skills at all, that's why he's always looking for the big hit.

Originally posted by DesiDez:
Mayock ranking McCoy ahead of Suh is not really a surprise to me. People forget that McCoy was a projected top 10 last year as a redshirt sophomore.

He's also a consensus top 3 player in this draft with Suh and Berry.

Suh clearly had the better season but the McCoy is right up there with him.

In a way its not surprising, cause of what u said, McCoy was a projected top 10 pick, last yr and now to me, he is the 2nd Player taken behind Suh.

But for Berry, im starting to question whether any team in the top 5-7 will take a shot with him that high.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Quote:
Mays makes big mistake

Link

Mays just doesn't get it. He has no ball skills at all, that's why he's always looking for the big hit.

I wonder if he has no balls skills, or just has the wrong mind set. Maybe he could make plays if he was ever thinking that way.
From CNNSI

Quote:
Risers

Geno Atkins/DT/Georgia: Atkins disappointed scouts with his play in 2009 but elevated his game on the first day of Senior Bowl practice. Atkins was explosive and unstoppable for most of the afternoon session. He was constantly getting penetration behind the line of scrimmage and regularly beating bigger, stronger opponents.
Perrish Cox/CB/Oklahoma State: Many NFL scouts rate Cox as the top senior cornerback, and he showed why today. Cox shut down just about every receiver he faced and displayed top ball skills. His fundamentals were solid as was his athleticism.
Terrell Skinner/S/Maryland: The former Terp cornerback showed off his coverage skills Monday, culminating with an interception of quarterback Tony Pike. Already possessing very good size, he was physical throughout practice and has many believing he could eventually start at the next level.
Michael Hoomanawanui/TE/Illinois: Hoomanawanui overwhelmed the linebackers and safeties that attempted to cover him all day. He caught the ball very well and did a better-than-expected job at blocking. Hoomanawanui is trying to reverse what was a poor senior season at Illinois and is off to a good start.
LaGarrette Blount/RB/Oregon: Blount was a late addition to the Senior Bowl, and he displayed the skills which made him such a highly rated running back coming into the season. He ran tough between the tackles and showed a burst, which many did not know he possessed.
Mitch Petrus/G/Arkansas: Petrus, a former fullback at Arkansas, has improved his play the past three seasons and looked terrific in his first Senior Bowl practice. He moves well on his feet and does a terrific job blocking in motion. Petrus surprised scouts with his power. He not only handled opponents at the point of attack, but drove larger defensive linemen off the ball throughout the afternoon.
Mike Johnson/G/Alabama: Johnson was an imposing-looking figure Monday morning, measuring 6-feet, 5½-inches and 306 pounds during weigh-ins. The former Alabama starter played to his size during practice, dominating opponents. Johnson did not give up an inch against anyone he faced and was solid as both a run blocker and in pass protection.
Dan Williams/DT/Tennessee: Williams was ferocious on the inside and pushed blockers around all day. He possesses terrific power and was able to collapse the pocket or bullrush opponents off the ball. Williams continues to move up draft boards.

Sliders

Terrence Cody/DT/Alabama: Cody looked poorly conditioned on Monday, tipping the scales at a sloppy 370 pounds. During practice he quickly tired and struggled to keep pace with the rest of the linemen. He was pushed to the ground and handled by lesser opponents on a number of occasions.
Selvish Capers/T/West Virginia: Capers struggled from the get-go. He was beaten around the corner by speed rushers or pushed back off the line by power opponents. All too often Capers was left to pull himself off the field after being pushed to the ground by opponents.
Notes: One of the more interesting prospects on the field is former Alabama-Birmingham quarterback Joe Webb, who's exclusively lining up at receiver during the Senior Bowl. After some early bumps in practice, Webb got his feet underneath him and looked like the transition to his new position would be a smooth one. Webb's day culminated when he beat Florida State's Patrick Robinson on a deep route and made a difficult, over-the-shoulder reception.

Myron Rolle, the Rhodes Scholar recipient who did not play football last season, looked solid for a someone that's been away from football for a year.
Florida quarterback Tim Tebow drew the largest crowds, but it was a coach who received the biggest cheer. At the start of the South's practice Monday afternoon, a black SUV made its' way onto the practice area. Nick Saban then stepped from the vehicle to the thunderous applause of the Alabama faithful, many who jumped to their feet to cheer their national-title-winning coach.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Tough break. Someone might use a late rounder on him to stash him for next year, but I've got a feeling he's going to go undrafted.
wait,

the listed rolle as sliding...or was that just extra to the article
Share 49ersWebzone