LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 279 users in the forums

The only names we should see at 13 and 17

People can post all they want about mock drafts. All I know is at 13 and 17 the niners have a chance to upgrade their team. Going into 2009, the team had three needs, WR, DE, and RT. This was also in Lindys guide. Only WR was addressed, a pass rush and RT are the ONLY Two positions, regardless of BPA, the niners should draft at 13 and 17.

I hope everyone stops with the draft Lupati nonsense. He is the #1 guard, but RT is the area of need. Like it or not Snyder can be a servicable guard (see Harvey Dahl and Kyle kosier). Additionally Baas can be kept for a RFA tender with no cap this year. So RT is the way to go in my book.

While the team finished with a lot of sacks, the pressure was not on the qb's or the sacks did not come in the loss's to teams with above 500 records. A pass rush is a must, and will only make hte DB's better.

This is my short list at 13 and 17. I would be happy with any of these names.

Tackle:
Russell Okung, Oklahoma State
Trent Williams, Oklahoma
Bruce Campbell, Maryland*
Anthony Davis, Rutgers*

Guard:
Mike Iupati, Idaho ( if he can be converted to RT) but would prefer a RT from college.

Defensive End:
Corey Wootton, Northwestern
Greg Hardy, Mississippi
Brandon Graham, Michigan
Jerry Hughes, TCU

Outside Linebacker:
Ricky Sapp, Clemson
Sean Weatherspoon, Missour
A pass rush will improve our secondary, but more talent will improve our secondary as well. I haven't made up my mind on whether we should focus on one or the other, but if the BPA is a cornerback or safety, we should absolutely take him over a pass-rusher. There appear to be some good DE options in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I agree that not using a 1st round pick on the OL is unforgivable.
Originally posted by 9erred:
People can post all they want about mock drafts. All I know is at 13 and 17 the niners have a chance to upgrade their team. Going into 2009, the team had three needs, WR, DE, and RT. This was also in Lindys guide. Only WR was addressed, a pass rush and RT are the ONLY Two positions, regardless of BPA, the niners should draft at 13 and 17.

I hope everyone stops with the draft Lupati nonsense. He is the #1 guard, but RT is the area of need. Like it or not Snyder can be a servicable guard (see Harvey Dahl and Kyle kosier). Additionally Baas can be kept for a RFA tender with no cap this year. So RT is the way to go in my book.

While the team finished with a lot of sacks, the pressure was not on the qb's or the sacks did not come in the loss's to teams with above 500 records. A pass rush is a must, and will only make hte DB's better.

This is my short list at 13 and 17. I would be happy with any of these names.

Tackle:
Russell Okung, Oklahoma State
Trent Williams, Oklahoma
Anthony Davis, Rutgers*

Guard:
Mike Iupati, Idaho ( if he can be converted to RT) but would prefer a RT from college.

Defensive End:
Corey Wootton, Northwestern
Greg Hardy, Mississippi
Brandon Graham, Michigan
Jerry Hughes, TCU

Outside Linebacker:
Ricky Sapp, Clemson
Sean Weatherspoon, Missour

Couple notes:
Wootton is going to be a 3-4 DE or 4-3 DE in the NFL. He's not going to be a 3-4 DE. Hardy has had a string of health problems. Weatherspoon is a 4-3 Sam backer, but really doesn't have strong pass rush skills. Sapp is really green, and may be a one year wonder. I don't see much strength at the point of attack to get through OT's.

Graham and Hughes are probably the two best options from your list if we are looking at 3-4 OLB's.

As for the list of OT's, Campbell is really raw, and is going to need some time to develop. Okung won't be on the board when the Niners pick, and I doubt Williams and Davis will be on the board either. As we've seen recently, OT's are hot commodities on draft day (3 of the first 8 picks last year were OT's).

So, it may come down to Bulaga (if he comes out), Iupati, Campbell, Charles Brown, in that top group of "on the board OT's". And, in the end, Iupati is a pretty amazing player for his size. I have no doubt he can make the transition to RT. His footwork is terrific for a man his size.
Don't disagree on RT (or LT if that's what we find), but believe we also need to
address some speed on the offensive side of the ball. Frank Gore is not getting any younger, and while I have no problem with Coffee (he's a similiar runner to Gore) we need some speed at the skill positions.

Crabtree was never known as a burner, but it's his hands and receiving skills that made him special.

While we do need some long term skill at pass rushing and Defensive Backfield, our
offense is just too predicatable. I still have no idea what Brandon Jones is (or what it was we saw in him) but the rest of our WRs are clones of one another.

CJ Spiller would be interesting given what he could do for our return game and speed on the edge or slot.

Forgot to add that it's a problem when the fastest guy on your offense is a TE.
[ Edited by nvninerfan1 on Jan 4, 2010 at 12:49 PM ]

Like it or not Snyder can be a servicable guard (see Harvey Dahl and Kyle kosier).

Snyder played LG for the first 6 or so games last year and he looked worse there than at RT.
Originally posted by Overkill:

Like it or not Snyder can be a servicable guard (see Harvey Dahl and Kyle kosier).

Snyder played LG for the first 6 or so games last year and he looked worse there than at RT.

Agreed. Snyder is just a bad o-lineman, regardless of what position you play him. He needs to find another team (or even another occupation).
Well, I don't agree with the needs assessment. We finished 18th overall defense and 29th overall offense. A team that finishes 8-8 should have been more centered or averaged around 16-16...We clearly over-achieved.

The team lacks adequate speed and covering ability in the defensive backfield. They also lack speed on the Offense to spread the field horizontal and vertically.

Horizontally, we need a HB Tandem that can reach and turn the corner. Vertically we need Ashlie Lelie type speed at WR. If this is not solutioned opposing defenses will continue to only have to defend part of the field of play.

So I put our starting needs as the following:

OT - Replacement for Snyder
CB - Replacement for Walt Harris
Safety - Planned replacement in 2010 or 2011 for M. Lewis
OLB - Need a double digit sack guy (if not Brooks) or a 4th rotate in
OG - Replacement for Baas
RB (speed back) - Could have been Kory Snyder but now is a definite need
WR (speed WR) - MIght be Brandon Jones but he hardly saw the field
QB - We need to contine to fill the development pipeline. Hill should be gone with Nate Davis at #2 next year to pressure Smith. If Hill remains #2 he will not pressure Smith for the starting position and is a backup only.

We could satisfy two or three from Free Agency but the others need to come from our top three picks. Neither Baas or Snyder should remain as starters. Baas was the source of multiple blow bys this year. Snyder was beaten out by Pashos before Pashos got hurt.
CB - Replacement for Walt Harris- Tarell Brown, Spencer or Bly

Safety - Planned replacement in 2010 or 2011 for M. Lewis- Agree

OLB - Need a double digit sack guy (if not Brooks) or a 4th rotate in- Double agree

OG - Replacement for Baas- disagree, Baas can be a RFA, the niners need to build. The interior is servicable with Heitmann, Baas, Rachal, Wragge, and Wallace. Snyder being a back up G or T works ok, we need a OT

RB (speed back) - Could have been Kory Snyder but now is a definite need- Agree 100%. Javhid Best might fall to the second round with his poor junior season.

WR (speed WR) - MIght be Brandon Jones but he hardly saw the field- Brandon Jones and Jason Hill are fast, baffles me why Hill is not used more. He produces in his limited action
Here is my list of who will still be on the board and who are good prospects when the Niners select:

Tackle:
Anthony Davis, Rutgers*
Bryan Bulaga Iowa

Guard:

OLB:
Brandon Graham, Michigan
Jerry Hughes, TCU
Jason Pierre-Paul USF (Tentative)
Eversen Griffen USC

Free Safety:
Earl Thomas Texas (tentative)

Feel free to agree or disagree.......
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Here is my list of who will still be on the board and who are good prospects when the Niners select:

Tackle:
Anthony Davis, Rutgers*
Bryan Bulaga Iowa

Guard:

OLB:
Brandon Graham, Michigan
Jerry Hughes, TCU
Eversen Griffen USC

Free Safety:

Exactly what mine looks like. Except Thomas above all the OLB's and Dez Bryant (if available) above all OLB's as well.

• Hopper
  • Veteran
Wouldn't mind taking Thomas at 13 at all and going with a tackle at 16.
Originally posted by krizay:

Tackle:
Anthony Davis, Rutgers*
Bryan Bulaga Iowa

Guard:

OLB:
Brandon Graham, Michigan
Jerry Hughes, TCU
Eversen Griffen USC

Free Safety:

Exactly what mine looks like. Except Thomas above all the OLB's and Dez Bryant (if available) above all OLB's as well.

Great minds think alike

I wasn't necessarily ranking them by position, but I can see how you might look at it that way. There are also still outside shots at Joe Haden, Dez Bryant, and even Rolando McClain being there, too.
I hope everyone is going to watch Hughes tonight. Altho I'm more looking forward to seeing him during Senior Bowl week where I'm sure teams will ask him to practice at OLB a bit.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Tackle:
Anthony Davis, Rutgers*
Bryan Bulaga Iowa

Guard:

OLB:
Brandon Graham, Michigan
Jerry Hughes, TCU
Eversen Griffen USC

Free Safety:

I doubt Davis makes it to #13, but the other guys I think will be there.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Don't disagree on RT (or LT if that's what we find), but believe we also need to
address some speed on the offensive side of the ball. Frank Gore is not getting any younger, and while I have no problem with Coffee (he's a similiar runner to Gore) we need some speed at the skill positions.

Crabtree was never known as a burner, but it's his hands and receiving skills that made him special.

While we do need some long term skill at pass rushing and Defensive Backfield, our
offense is just too predicatable. I still have no idea what Brandon Jones is (or what it was we saw in him) but the rest of our WRs are clones of one another.

CJ Spiller would be interesting given what he could do for our return game and speed on the edge or slot.

Forgot to add that it's a problem when the fastest guy on your offense is a TE.

Agree. CJ Spiller may also be the BPA on the board when we draft
Share 49ersWebzone