LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

Call me Crazy-First 17 v 2.0

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by mayo63:
If Jacksonville took Tebow at #10, I'd laugh my ass off.

I expect a major reach with him.

Regardless of Tebow’s actual talents, his persona and star power may be too compelling for him to last through the entire first round. We already know that Jacksonville Jaguars owner Wayne Weaver has stated publicly his interest in drafting Tebow, the hometown kid.

“Star power is incredible, and Tebow is an iconic figure,” Weaver said in September. “That’s very compelling. He clearly is an outstanding football player and would be an asset to any football organization.”

That's the funny part. They might actually do it. Take him at #10 that is.
[ Edited by mayo63 on Jan 4, 2010 at 12:24 PM ]
Originally posted by SF69ers:
I would've taken Joe Haden over Trent Williams.

Would you rather have Haden and sit Clements....or Williams and sit Snyder?

I'd rather have the best cover corner in this draft to help with our secondary overall, take Iupati with our second 1st rounder, and draft a RT like Jason Fox in the 2nd.
Originally posted by krizay:
1 St. Louis Sam Bradford

2 Detroit Ndamukong Suh Nebraska DT

3 Tampa Bay Gerald McCoy Oklahoma DT

4 Washington Jimmy Clausen Notre Dame QB

5 Kansas City Russell Okung Oklahoma State OT

6 Seattle Anthony Davis Rutgers OT

7 Cleveland Dez Bryant Oklahoma State WR

8 Oakland Derrick Morgan Georgia Tech DE

9 Buffalo Arrelious Benn Illinois WR

10 Jacksonville Tim Tebow UF QB

10 Denver (from Chicago)Carlos Dunlap UF DE

12 Miami Eric Berry Tenn FS

13 San Francisco Trent Williams Oklahoma OT

14 Seattle (from Denver) Joe Haden CB Florida

15 New York Giants Rolando McClain Alabama MLB

16 Tennessee Jason Pierre-Paul USF DE

16 San Francisco (from Carolina) CJ Spiller Clemson RB

Pretty self explanatory, have at it!!!

I don't see Washington taking a QB. Campbell has played pretty decent since Zorn was stripped of his OC duties. 64%, 242 ypg, 14 td's and 9 int's.

The last GM was wanting to get rid of Campbell. But they have a new guy in place.

No way Benn goes over Golden Tate.

With a new HC....being Shanny a new QB will come in and Campbell can still stay on for another year so Clausen can sit.

Tate is a late 1st rounder

I'd rather have the best cover corner in this draft to help with our secondary overall, take Iupati with our second 1st rounder, and draft a RT like Jason Fox in the 2nd.

You're speculating on 2 points:
1) That Iupati will still be available and can actually play RT, drafting Iupati that high for OG is a reach
2) That Fox is available in the 2nd

After watching Snyder get destroyed all day on Sunday I have come to the same conclusion as MD, we NEED a RT now!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

1) That Iupati will still be available and can actually play RT, drafting Iupati that high for OG is a reach

After watching Snyder get destroyed all day on Sunday I have come to the same conclusion as MD, we NEED a RT now!

Yeah, but have you seen Iupati play? He's special. Too good to pass up if you ask me. He shouldn't have a problem playing RT. But, you never know. So it is a risk.

Yeah, but have you seen Iupati play? He's special. Too good to pass up if you ask me. He shouldn't have a problem playing RT. But, you never know. So it is a risk.

I have seen him play but he is a converting OG, he will have some initial issues. Williams is a monster and is a "safe" pick at that spot, after Sunday I am on the no more Snyder train!!!

Drafting Iupati with our second 1st is not a reach, especially because he looks like such a sure thing. We've had plenty of trouble with our interior line as well, not just Snyder.

Drafting Iupati with our second 1st is not a reach, especially because he looks like such a sure thing. We've had plenty of trouble with our interior line as well, not just Snyder.

At this point Williams makes the best candidate for ROT. Iupati is in the group as well but I need to see him in the Senior Bowl and Combine before he leapfrogs Williams.

If we draft Iupati in the 1st and a RT in the 2nd, than converting Iupati from OG to OT won't be an issue.

Iupati looks like he could be a very special player. Declaring him a "reach" at 17 simply because he plays guard doesn't make much sense.
Originally posted by Overkill:

If we draft Iupati in the 1st and a RT in the 2nd, than converting Iupati from OG to OT won't be an issue.

Iupati looks like he could be a very special player. Declaring him a "reach" at 17 simply because he plays guard doesn't make much sense.

Agreed. Why pass on a sure thing at a position of need just because of his position? Hutchinson was drafted in the 1st round and he is an elite guard.

At this point Williams makes the best candidate for ROT. Iupati is in the group as well but I need to see him in the Senior Bowl and Combine before he leapfrogs Williams.

Just not sure Trent Williams will be around when we pick. I really think the best approach will be to re-sign Tony Pashos to another 1 year deal to start at RT and draft a young development guy like Bruce Campbell, Anthony Davis or even Charles Brown. Have the young guy sit and learn for a little bit, then eventually take over.
Originally posted by GoFD74:

Just not sure Trent Williams will be around when we pick. I really think the best approach will be to re-sign Tony Pashos to another 1 year deal to start at RT and draft a young development guy like Bruce Campbell, Anthony Davis or even Charles Brown. Have the young guy sit and learn for a little bit, then eventually take over.

I think Williams will have the Oher issue and slip a bit. Keeping Pashos is a good idea and I'm 100% for it, I want to see Williams beat him out for the starting spot.

I think Williams will have the Oher issue and slip a bit. Keeping Pashos is a good idea and I'm 100% for it, I want to see Williams beat him out for the starting spot.

I would love for Williams to have the Oher issue...that would be a dream come true!!!! I just can't see it happening, not with the OT needs that Detroit, KC, Seattle, Oakland and Buffalo have.
[ Edited by GoFD74 on Jan 4, 2010 at 1:26 PM ]

I would love for Williams to have the Oher issue...that would be a dream come true!!!!

Ghost, how do you see Williams as a prospect? I remember a month ago everyone was ripping him as the most overrated prospect alive, now all of a sudden everyone is crazy about him. How do you think his talent compares to Iaputi's?
If Jacksonville took Tebow at #10, I'd laugh my ass off.

I expect a major reach with him.

Regardless of Tebow’s actual talents, his persona and star power may be too compelling for him to last through the entire first round. We already know that Jacksonville Jaguars owner Wayne Weaver has stated publicly his interest in drafting Tebow, the hometown kid.

“Star power is incredible, and Tebow is an iconic figure,” Weaver said in September. “That’s very compelling. He clearly is an outstanding football player and would be an asset to any football organization.”

This move (JAX drafting tebow with the #10) would rank right up there with the Raiders drafting DHB last year, a real bad move. No value whatsoever.

This is purely a save the franchise for the city of Jacksonville draft choice. Tebow is nowhere near ready to be a NFL QB. He has horrible mechanics and it will require a couple of years under a good QB coach to turn him into a NFL QB.

JAX needs a Pass Rusher in the worst possible way and I would expect them to draft one with their first pick. If they really want to draft Tebow they could get him late in the 1st by trading back up with their 2nd and a 4th to get him, or just wait and get him with their 2nd round pick, #42.
Share 49ersWebzone