LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

49wyz's 2010 Offseason Mock

Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I think you've got some good stuff here but I have a few big issues.

The only pass rusher you have here is Brooks. I think he's played well enough for us to sign him to a new contract, but not well enough to end the search for a dominant pass rusher. If we're not going to sign a FA OLB then we need to draft one in the first three rounds.

We should not fire Everest. Yeah, our KR/PR situation has sucked bad this year, and possibly cost us the playoffs. But I think firing him for that would be short sighted. He's been one of our best coaches for several years now, and the special teams unit has been the only unit of the three that has been mostly good during our bad years. I think the blame for the KR/PR disaster goes to the GM.

I really don't think we need a pass rusher. Brooks has shown with playing time he will get to the QB. We are 11th in sacks. What we need is a ball hawk to cash in the pressure we get on the QB and hence here come Collins. The KR/PR disaster falls solely on Everest. Scot signed Spurlock for him and he could do both. Instead Everest didn't use him and instead used Battle.

We may have to agree to disagree on these points.

Brooks' development has been enough for me to be comfortable with them drafting a pass rusher in the 2nd or 3rd instead of the 1st, but not enough for me to be comfortable with them leaving things as is. Yeah, we've gotten a lot of sacks. But I still don't think we get consistent pressure. I want to see the pocket collapsing around the QB on almost every down, even if it doesn't always result in a sack.

Spurlock was cut well before we released Rossum, at the final roster cuts before the season started. Neither of us know if that was Everest's call or McCloughin's. But when Rossum was released and we started scrambling to fill that position Spurlock was not on the team and could not be used by Everest. Could he have been resigned? Sure. By McCloughin. But even if Everest was the guy that made all these calls, I still wouldn't fire him over it. I'd just take more control over the personnel decisions. Like I said, the guy has been one of our best coaches for several years. You don't fire him over one bad call. Especially not a call that I'm not sure he even made.
Cody 1B is way too high. He is a fat butt who will eat himself out of the league. 3rd round is more like it. Mount Cody or Fat a** Cody is overrated and over hyped.
Originally posted by genus49:

The only pass rusher you have here is Brooks. I think he's played well enough for us to sign him to a new contract, but not well enough to end the search for a dominant pass rusher. If we're not going to sign a FA OLB then we need to draft one in the first three rounds.

We should not fire Everest. Yeah, our KR/PR situation has sucked bad this year, and possibly cost us the playoffs. But I think firing him for that would be short sighted. He's been one of our best coaches for several years now, and the special teams unit has been the only unit of the three that has been mostly good during our bad years. I think the blame for the KR/PR disaster goes to the GM.

I really don't think we need a pass rusher. Brooks has shown with playing time he will get to the QB. We are 11th in sacks. What we need is a ball hawk to cash in the pressure we get on the QB and hence here come Collins. The KR/PR disaster falls solely on Everest. Scot signed Spurlock for him and he could do both. Instead Everest didn't use him and instead used Battle.

YES WE DO!!!

Let's not forget most people thought we finally found our pass rusher with Haralson and we re-signed him to a nice contract only to see him not do much of anything.

Our pass rush is mostly schemed. I admit Brooks has played pretty well lately and I'd love to see what he can do with another offseason and more playing time HOWEVER...we can't continue to wait around for our own players to suddenly blow up. We need to finally go out and improve the team.

The worst thing that happens is we have 2 great players and we can release Lawson when his contract is up and Haralson will become a good backup. You can never have enough pass rushers.

I just know the we are in the top 15 in every statistical catagory on defense and we are a top pass rushing team. Our offense sucks so lets fix what is broken and when a 360lb man is being blocked by 2 to 3 people it will open up a pass rush. Why do you think San Diego's sacks are down? Williams is gone sacks go down. Franklin is good but we wont get near the push Cody will in his 2nd and 3rd years in the league.

Their sacks are down because they lost several people on their DL including Olshansky and Williams. Also Merriman hasn't been his old self. You lose a guy like that and you feel it.

Franklin is a proven thing and he hasn't just produced this year.

Our defense is our strength that much is obvious but we can't just forget it because the offense is lagging behind. We can improve our pass rush so if a guy is available who the GM thinks can be an all down player then we take him. Haralson was much better being a situational guy.

Olshansky hasn't increased Dallas's sack numbers, they have actually decreased. Hamptons injury has also decreased Pitts sack numbers. 3-4 NT's are THE most important position and is much harder to find than pass rushing OLB's so as a GM I would be more inclined to take a game changing NT. His first year he would only be a 2 down guy, but that is why you franchise Franklin and ease Cody into the defense and by his 3rd year he will be a dominating force. Franklin has only produced this year. All previous year everyone was crying for a NT and he has one solid year and its all gone. No thanks.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Fired
Forester and Everest - Neither of thier area's played well with good talent. Everest failed to insert Spurlock when he had the chance, and that itself costed us two games and it took Forester 13 weeks to figure out how to fix the o-line.

Definitely need a new O-line coach and probably ST though I'm not entirely convinced.

Quote:

Resign

Franklin - Franchise Tag
Baas
Brooks

Free Agents

Eugene Amano - OG Titans - Just ask Vince and Chris how good this guy is. He is a flat out stud and IMO he is better than Mankins and would come at 3/4 of the price.

Nick Collins - Young ballhawking free saftey. Signing him will allow us to cut Lewis. Lewis is having concussion issues and I think he needs to hang it up. He was awesome before the injuries but you can't have that much invested in a guy that you don't know if he will play every week.

Rod Hood - Good corner back that will add depth and makes plays.

If we resign Baas why wouldn't we want to resign Sims for some depth at OT? Amano might escape the Titans but there's no way that the Packers let Collins go. If we can get him I'm all for it though--he's one of the more underrated safeties in the league.

Quote:

Draft

1A - Bryan Bulaga, Iowa RT - He is the stud RT that will solidify our offensive line going forward. No matter whom the QB of the future will be protection won't be a problem. Gore and Coffee will be licking their chops after this offseason.

1B - Terrence Cody, Alabama NT - Due to Franklin wanting to test the market and only producing in his FA year it would be smart to take a kid that will dominate in the trenches, even if its only for 2 downs. Franklin will still produce cause it will still be his FA year and it gives us a year to groom Cody.

Like the Bulaga pick hate the Cody pick. Don't think he's worth a mid first round and I wouldn't want to spend a first rounder on a guy who will only play half the snaps.

Quote:

2ND - Dexter McCluster, ATH Ole Miss - He is the fast field stretching special teams ace we need. He is this years Harvin just without all the publicity. Some think 2nd will be to high but come draft time he might not make it out of the first.

3RD - Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, CB Indiana - Big, fast, physical corner that will instantly upgrade our ST and add needed depth at CB. I really love this kids upside.

I wouldn't mind McCluster but I think he's a third round pick. Owusu is a good choice.

Quote:

4TH - John Jerry, Ole Miss OG - At 340lbs this kid can move and move people out of the way. Mike want to run the ball this kid will make sure that happens and he is solid in pass protection. His stock will rise predraft, remember this kids name.

5TH - Rashawn Jackson - He can block, run, catch and play special teams and Norris is getting long in the tooth. Would go higher but his arrest in 08 hurt his stock but this kid can play and is very versitle.

We already have a backup FB in Brit Miller and I like that guy a bunch. John Jerry is a good choice.

YES WE DO!!!

Let's not forget most people thought we finally found our pass rusher with Haralson and we re-signed him to a nice contract only to see him not do much of anything.

Our pass rush is mostly schemed. I admit Brooks has played pretty well lately and I'd love to see what he can do with another offseason and more playing time HOWEVER...we can't continue to wait around for our own players to suddenly blow up. We need to finally go out and improve the team.

The worst thing that happens is we have 2 great players and we can release Lawson when his contract is up and Haralson will become a good backup. You can never have enough pass rushers.

I just know the we are in the top 15 in every statistical catagory on defense and we are a top pass rushing team. Our offense sucks so lets fix what is broken and when a 360lb man is being blocked by 2 to 3 people it will open up a pass rush. Why do you think San Diego's sacks are down? Williams is gone sacks go down. Franklin is good but we wont get near the push Cody will in his 2nd and 3rd years in the league.

Their sacks are down because they lost several people on their DL including Olshansky and Williams. Also Merriman hasn't been his old self. You lose a guy like that and you feel it.

Our defense is our strength that much is obvious but we can't just forget it because the offense is lagging behind. We can improve our pass rush so if a guy is available who the GM thinks can be an all down player then we take him. Haralson was much better being a situational guy.

Olshansky hasn't increased Dallas's sack numbers, they have actually decreased. Hamptons injury has also decreased Pitts sack numbers. 3-4 NT's are THE most important position and is much harder to find than pass rushing OLB's so as a GM I would be more inclined to take a game changing NT. His first year he would only be a 2 down guy, but that is why you franchise Franklin and ease Cody into the defense and by his 3rd year he will be a dominating force. Franklin has only produced this year. All previous year everyone was crying for a NT and he has one solid year and its all gone. No thanks.

Franklin was solid for a good chunk of last season. I just can't see the niners drafting Cody when Franklin is still with the team.

As far as changes in sacks...you do realize teams play different schedules right? Teams also change. Ware still has 11 sacks this year. And the Pittsburgh duo of Woodley and Harrison are both over 10 sacks a piece. Merriman has a terrible season with only 4 sacks and that's throwing off Phillips who has 7.

I'm telling you to assume Brooks will suddenly become a force is a mistake and a gamble we shouldn't make. You want to plan for the worst case scenario and hope for the best.

YES WE DO!!!

Franklin was solid for a good chunk of last season. I just can't see the niners drafting Cody when Franklin is still with the team.

As far as changes in sacks...you do realize teams play different schedules right? Teams also change. Ware still has 11 sacks this year. And the Pittsburgh duo of Woodley and Harrison are both over 10 sacks a piece. Merriman has a terrible season with only 4 sacks and that's throwing off Phillips who has 7.

I'm telling you to assume Brooks will suddenly become a force is a mistake and a gamble we shouldn't make. You want to plan for the worst case scenario and hope for the best.

I'm not a huge Cody fan myself. I just know that big athletic NT's like him don't come around that often. If not Cody I would like to see us take Graham from Michigan. That kid is a monster. Brooks isn't suddenly becoming anything. He was a top 20 pick before his expulsion, he is extremely talented.

It's just good to be in the position we are. We get pressure and the QB and that's what matters. We need draft playmakers, not just draft players cause it is a problem. Putting a 360lb beast infront of Willis will only make him and everyone else that much better going forward. It's what makes the draft fun I guess.
Share 49ersWebzone