There are 288 users in the forums

Mr. McCluster in the 2nd...more like first now.

Originally posted by MadMartz:
How would he do all that? He would get maybe 10 touches a game. He is a talented runner but not what we need. We need a bruiser at RB to punish defenses in short yardage. I wouldnt take carries from Gore to give to McCluster, thats for sure.

I would hes the change of pace we need, face it speed kills and Dexter has them in spades.
Originally posted by obx49:
If he runs a 4.3 or better in the combine, then teams will be jumping all over him in the first or second round. I see a lot of comparisons being made, but if he runs a sub 4.3 I would compare him to Chris Johnson which would almost guarantee him a 1st round pick.

I see you guarantee and raise you another one...he will not be a first round pick.

His size will hold him back and rightfully so.
Originally posted by maxsmart:
We have Gore, Crabtree and Davis. How many weapons do you think an offense needs to be successful? We have the #1 triple threat in the NFL IMHO.

Uh, there are 5 eligible, so you want 5 or more weapons. The reason the Walsh teams were so good was exactly because they had 5+ weapons. All our WR's are possession types, we definitely need a game-breaking speedy WR.

Agree speed kills we dont have that on O.
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
Originally posted by GoldenGateFan:
McCluster is not like Harvin due to his small size and lack of physicality. Harvin is three inches taller, 20 pounds more and much strong with great muscle definition. Harvin is both a burner, yet can still impose his will on defenses with a combination great moves and strength. Although McCluster has the same gamebreaking speed, he has less value as both an unproven return man, and average (at best) reciever without route running, great hands, or great awareness. McCluster is good, but the 3rd round is where he belongs.

As well, although we need more weapons, I think that CJ Spiller, Gilyard, or Shipley would be a better fit.

LOL. Maybe you should watch some film on this kid.

He can pass, block and run. He ran all over LSU in that game. LOL. You guys should watch the film before you speak. People did this last year with me on Raji and we all watched were Raji wen't. McCluster is a baller. He will go in the 2nd, possibly the first. He has had 40 receptions or better the last 2 years. Kid can do it all.

Id love to see him try and pick up a blitz in the NFL.

LOL. He won't be an everydown back. We have Gore for that. If you don't think we need this guy you are on crack.
How would he do all that? He would get maybe 10 touches a game. He is a talented runner but not what we need. We need a bruiser at RB to punish defenses in short yardage. I wouldnt take carries from Gore to give to McCluster, thats for sure.

Umm ok. He is exactly what Percy Harvin is. Last time I checked Harvin runs, catches and is thier KR/PR.

Ok, and what is that supposed to mean? Last I checked Minn has 0 SB trophies. I dont want to model my team after that. We have Gore, Crabtree and Davis. How many weapons do you think an offense needs to be successful? We have the #1 triple threat in the NFL IMHO.

Wow MadMartz you are way off on this post. Harvin is a rookie first of all so how would he have helped Minn win a SB yet? If Gore, Crabtree, and Davis are the #1 triple threat in football why are we 8-8? How many weapons does an offense need you ask? As many as you can freakin get and I am sure Singletary would agree!

We do desperately need a PR/KR speed guy. I have been bangin this drum for years. We need more speed on offense. Just putting a guy like Harvin or DeSean Jackson on the field makes your offense instantly better because the efense has to respect those guys. If we are going after the Bears/Ravens style of strong defense and manage the game QB relying on our run game then special teams is crucial. We need to score points on special teams to make the playoffs next year. The Bears wouldn't have made it to the Super Bowl without Hester.
Originally posted by 9er2631:

Umm ok. He is exactly what Percy Harvin is. Last time I checked Harvin runs, catches and is thier KR/PR.

Ok, and what is that supposed to mean? Last I checked Minn has 0 SB trophies. I dont want to model my team after that. We have Gore, Crabtree and Davis. How many weapons do you think an offense needs to be successful? We have the #1 triple threat in the NFL IMHO.

Wow MadMartz you are way off on this post. Harvin is a rookie first of all so how would he have helped Minn win a SB yet? If Gore, Crabtree, and Davis are the #1 triple threat in football why are we 8-8? How many weapons does an offense need you ask? As many as you can freakin get and I am sure Singletary would agree!

We do desperately need a PR/KR speed guy. I have been bangin this drum for years. We need more speed on offense. Just putting a guy like Harvin or DeSean Jackson on the field makes your offense instantly better because the efense has to respect those guys. If we are going after the Bears/Ravens style of strong defense and manage the game QB relying on our run game then special teams is crucial. We need to score points on special teams to make the playoffs next year. The Bears wouldn't have made it to the Super Bowl without Hester.

We are 8-8 cause we dont have an Oline. We already have an elite back. Lets say you own a porshce but no home to park it at. Do you go buy a ferrari next? No you go buy a home.

The Bears would have made the SB without Hester. That year they won the division by like 5 or 6 games. Return men dont when SBs complete teams and defense do.
[ Edited by MadMartz on Jan 4, 2010 at 4:15 PM ]

We are 8-8 cause we dont have an Oline. We already have an elite back. Lets say you own a porshce but no home to park it at. Do you go buy a ferrari next? No you go buy a home.

The Bears would have made the SB without Hester. That year they won the division by like 5 or 6 games. Return men dont when SBs complete teams and defense do.

Just so I know what you're arguing...are you saying you don't want McCluster at all or in the 2nd round?

I will agree with you about the 2nd round but McCluster would be a very good pick in the 3rd.
Originally posted by genus49:

Just so I know what you're arguing...are you saying you don't want McCluster at all or in the 2nd round?

I will agree with you about the 2nd round but McCluster would be a very good pick in the 3rd.

I want proven players at proven positions. He is too small and I doubt he could be effective in blitz pickups. Coupled with the fact that he had 0 KR in 09 and I give a big thumbs down!

I want proven players at proven positions. He is too small and I doubt he could be effective in blitz pickups. Coupled with the fact that he had 0 KR in 09 and I give a big thumbs down!

That's very short sighted. What's a proven player at a proven position? Someone already told you the best return guy in the league played QB in college.

Proven player like Ryan Leaf? And the countless other busts who were thought to be blue chippers and proven great players?

It's not like we haven't seen plenty of small guys play great. If you can play you can play...doesn't matter the size. Proven guy like Brandon Williams?

Some guys are just too valuable to a team to use on special teams - that was the case with McCluster. It's pretty simple really if he can break long runs as a running back he can do the same as a return man. He has the quickness, he has the patience to wait for open holes and his blockers and he has the vision to spot the holes.

His size is the only thing keeping him out of the first round. If he's 4 inches taller and 20 lbs heavier he's a first rounder easily.

Darren Sproles does a pretty good job at running back and he's shorter than McCluster and like 15 lbs heavier. I'm pretty sure Dexter can put on a little more weight. So a 3rd round pick for a guy who is very versatile and has the tools to help the offense and special teams is very much worth the 3rd round pick.

That's very short sighted. What's a proven player at a proven position? Someone already told you the best return guy in the league played QB in college.

Proven player like Ryan Leaf? And the countless other busts who were thought to be blue chippers and proven great players?

It's not like we haven't seen plenty of small guys play great. If you can play you can play...doesn't matter the size. Proven guy like Brandon Williams?

Some guys are just too valuable to a team to use on special teams - that was the case with McCluster. It's pretty simple really if he can break long runs as a running back he can do the same as a return man. He has the quickness, he has the patience to wait for open holes and his blockers and he has the vision to spot the holes.

His size is the only thing keeping him out of the first round. If he's 4 inches taller and 20 lbs heavier he's a first rounder easily.

Darren Sproles does a pretty good job at running back and he's shorter than McCluster and like 15 lbs heavier. I'm pretty sure Dexter can put on a little more weight. So a 3rd round pick for a guy who is very versatile and has the tools to help the offense and special teams is very much worth the 3rd round pick.

Thats a whole lot of what ifs, I`ll pass!

Find me a player in the 3rd round who doesn't have what ifs.

...in the whole draft for that matter?

Suh has no what ifs!
No Thanks that Mr. McCluster in the 2nd!
[ Edited by BuZzB28 on Jan 4, 2010 at 5:18 PM ]

Suh has no what ifs!

EVERYONE has what ifs. Wouldn't be a first time a surefire stud ended up doing nothing in the NFL whether due to injuries or just didn't transition well.

I will admit Suh is about a closest thing to a sure pick you can get...but it's pretty ignorant to say there are no what ifs with him.

....what if he gets injured? see...
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
No Thanks that Mr. McCluster in the 2nd!

Prepare to be dissapointed then.
Share 49ersWebzone