LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 208 users in the forums

Mock Draft 1.2.10

Originally posted by joey82:
I am going to bold this first part because some of you think that 1A is too early to take a guard.

Brandon Albert was a guard that was drafted at 15 by the Chiefs who moved him to tackle.

Many on this board, myself included, think Iupati is a better prospect than Albert. Even if it is a touch too high you take the guy that you want when it is your pick.

Iupati will most likely be our RT if we draft him anyways.

I think we have to take an OL with our first pick to give us the option to trade our second pick. If we are lucky enough for Iupati to be on the board when we take our first pick (which will likely be in the mid teens) we need to take him and not hope he is there for our next pick which will likely be in the late teens.

As for Kindle, I know his production was down but if you watch the games he played he was being double teamed frequently. Look at how well Acho and Houston played this year on the Texas DL to see his impact. Brandon Graham will most likely not be on the board in the second half of the first round. We may have the choice between Kindle and Hughes but honestly I think Kindle is the better prospect.

As much as I would love for us to draft a shifty playmaking back that would double as a KR/PR I just don't see it after spending the third last year on Coffee. Cox gives us depth in the secondary and a returner.

Albert also played tackle at times and was good there. A totally different story.

Even if it is a touch too high you take the guy that you want when it is your pick.

If you think he'll make that much of a difference, and you're not sure he'll be around 31 picks later, you gotta do it.
No on Kindle
Originally posted by kstolai:
No on Kindle

Insightful
  • nj49erfan
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I am going to bold this first part because some of you think that 1A is too early to take a guard.

Brandon Albert was a guard that was drafted at 15 by the Chiefs who moved him to tackle.

Many on this board, myself included, think Iupati is a better prospect than Albert. Even if it is a touch too high you take the guy that you want when it is your pick.

Iupati will most likely be our RT if we draft him anyways.

I think we have to take an OL with our first pick to give us the option to trade our second pick. If we are lucky enough for Iupati to be on the board when we take our first pick (which will likely be in the mid teens) we need to take him and not hope he is there for our next pick which will likely be in the late teens.

As for Kindle, I know his production was down but if you watch the games he played he was being double teamed frequently. Look at how well Acho and Houston played this year on the Texas DL to see his impact. Brandon Graham will most likely not be on the board in the second half of the first round. We may have the choice between Kindle and Hughes but honestly I think Kindle is the better prospect.

As much as I would love for us to draft a shifty playmaking back that would double as a KR/PR I just don't see it after spending the third last year on Coffee. Cox gives us depth in the secondary and a returner.

Albert also played tackle at times and was good there. A totally different story.

Albert was recruited to be a tackle but they had Debrickashaw (spelling?) Ferguson so Albert gained weight moved to left gurad which gave them one of the most dominant left sides in college football. Not the same.

Plus there will be atleast 2 NFL ready RT on the board when we pick so lets just take the guy who alreayd plays the postion and plays it well.

Also I like the OLB from TCU, Jerry Hughes, better then Kindle. Kid already plays OLB in a 3-4 and has 26 sacks int he last 2 years plus 15 TFLS. If you are going with pass rusher go with this kid. One of the most underated players in CFB.

But to me if CJ Spiller is still on the board, which he may be in this deep draft I still say we have to take him.

CJ Spiller and RT 2010 First Round picks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We will take the best OL that is on Scot's board when we pick. I predict that will be Iupati, but I could be wrong. There is no way we are going to pass on the best OL prospect available just because his natural position isn't a T.

Besides Iupati will have plenty of time during Senior Bowl, combine workouts etc to prove that he can or can't handle the position.
Like many others have suggested, I have an issue with Kindle in the first. The guy will have off the chart measureables, but not much production to warrant a first round selection. Graham on the other hand would be a great pickup in the middle of the first. The only other pick I have issue with is your 7th rounder. Nedney has one more year left at least and I think the Niners could benefit from a speedy WR or RB if they are still available.
Originally posted by kronik:
Iupati is my favorite player in this year's class. But even I think the 11th 12th pick is too high. Using on second 1st rounder seems more right. I also wouldn't make him play a position that we aren't sure about. We all know he will be a great guard. We don't know for sure if he can play tackle. Since we have a need at guard anyways, why move him to a position he isn't as experienced in?

As for Kindle, I think that's a terrible pick. Because he shouldn't be a 1st rounder due to his lack of productivity. There will be much better players than him available at that pick (15th or so).

Other than my nitpickings, good try.

Take Graham over Kindle
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
I'd rather sign a guard and draft a tackle.
For those who say the 1st round is too early to draft a guard, just think about how runs we ran to the outside this year vs. runs up the middle.

Originally posted by MertonHanks:
For those who say the 1st round is too early to draft a guard, just think about how runs we ran to the outside this year vs. runs up the middle.

Guard is too early to draft in the first round.

However...Iupati is about the closest thing you have to a sure thing at the position.

You draft him and the kid will be a pro bowler in a short span and will hold that position for 10+ years

With the draft being a crapshoot you take the sure pick - guard or not.

IMO there are 4 sure fire studs in this draft at their positions - Suh, Berry, McClain and Iupati
Why draft Kindle with Graham and Hughes probably still available. Other than that, I'm a huge Iupati fan, but I really would want to draft him as a guard and draft another player to play tackle.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MertonHanks:

Steve Hutchinson himself was a #17 pick. I think that turned out pretty well. If you are in need of a guard of Iupati's caliber you have to take him.

With that said, I no longer think we'll be draft a Guard early. With all the shake ups Sing was talking. He never shook up the interior positions. In my opinion it all depends on what happens with Baas. If we bring Baas back. You can forget Iupati and any other Guard.

Although it would be awesome to get Iupati and an OT with our 1st 2 picks.
I like this mock, although I am not sold on Kindle in the 1B spot. I haven't seen him this high on many boards thus far. I also think our pass rush looked really good down the stretch, so a rush LB (WILL) is not as big a priority.

A month ago I was hoping to land Berry and a starting RT. When it became obvious that we weren't going to get Berry I was hoping for Haden and an RT. Now that it seems Haden will be gone by #13, I am thinking/hoping for Iupati and Davis/Beluga/Campbell/Williams and finally address our OL, for the next decade or so.

Regardless, we have to come out of this with an upgrade to Snyder at RT.. I think we can live with Rachel at RG, but we can't live with Snyder at RT.

I am hoping we draft OL, OL in the first round.

I am not on the Spiller train at all, we can pick up a fast RB/KR/PR later in the draft.
Share 49ersWebzone