There are 274 users in the forums

Bad News: Saints to sit Brees against Panthers

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Quote:
Updated: January 2, 2010, 12:04 AM ET

With the No. 1 seed in the NFC all sewn up, the New Orleans Saints will rest Pro Bowl quarterback Drew Brees and will start Mark Brunell in Sunday's regular season finale against the Carolina Panthers, according to a report in the Times-Picayune on Friday.

The report states Brees will be the third-string emergency quarterback on Sunday behind Brunell and Chase Daniel.

As a result of Minnesota's overtime loss in Week 16, the Saints (13-2) clinched homefield advantage throughout the NFC playoffs.

Brunnel has only appeared in a spattering of games this season and has attempted just one pass. He last started a game on Nov. 12, 2006 as a member of the Washington Redskins in a 27-3 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles.

That's f**king spectacular...
Bad news. A carolina win with their SOS drops our pick to the 16-20 range depending on outcome of 8-7 team games.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
That's f**king spectacular...

I feel you, maybe a miracle can happen. Brunell hasn't started a game in 3 years, so we'd need one.
[ Edited by mayo63 on Jan 2, 2010 at 7:07 AM ]
What this means is that the 8-7 teams better win on Sunday, or the Panthers' selection is going to be closer to 20 than 14. The Panthers' opponents' W-L percentage is very good, so in a case of a tie at 8-8, the Panthers' selection would come after the pack, which is not good for us.

Cheer for those 8-7 teams!!!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
What this means is that the 8-7 teams better win on Sunday, or the Panthers' selection is going to be closer to 20 than 14. The Panthers' opponents' W-L percentage is very good, so in a case of a tie at 8-8, the Panthers' selection would come after the pack, which is not good for us.

From my calculations, #15 is the best we can do with #20 being the worst.
[ Edited by mayo63 on Jan 2, 2010 at 7:43 AM ]
Hopefully article was written after midnight on Bourbon St New Years Eve
Originally posted by mayo63:

From my calculations, #15 is the best we can do with #22 being the worst.

I believe 20th is the worst. 21-32 are playoff teams.
16-20 spot (probably 18 or higher) wont be that nad we could pick up Mike lupathi who is clearly the best G in draft and it wont be a reach
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ishkabibel:

Sorry, your right. A game to watch is the TENN/SEA game, root for Seattle to win otherwise they jump us if they lose.

Sorry, your right. A game to watch is the TENN/SEA game, root for Seattle to win otherwise they jump us if they lose.

Can't follow your logic. Believe a Tenn win would be in our best interest.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Can't follow your logic. Believe a Tenn win would be in our best interest.

It doesn't matter what TENN does they'll pick ahead of us win or lose. If they beat the Seahawks then SEA falls to an 8-8 tie with us and would jump us with a better SOS. Get where I'm coming from? If SEA wins they go to 9-7 and stay clear of us.
[ Edited by mayo63 on Jan 2, 2010 at 7:59 AM ]
  • Ang
  • Hall of Fame
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=126077&page=55
Share 49ersWebzone