There are 106 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Iupati vs Albert

Originally posted by Butter:
So could the Niners draft the BPA at RT with their 1st pick, and then trade down lower in the 1st or early second and still draft Iupati with a later pick?

Iupati with a great combine and senior bowl, will improve his stock and be taken somewhere around 10-20.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Iupati is an unknown at OT, but Senior Bowl week hopefully will answer some questions whether he can play that position. What I do know is that he appears to be a major long-term upgrade over Baas and Rachal at guard, even if he does not project well at OT.

I was big fan of Joe Staley well before he was nationally known in college, simply due to his footwork. While their body types are very different at this stage of their college career, I do see excellent movement for an OL. He already has the size and strength and length to move to the outside.

Albert is smaller-framed, and left college after his junior year. So, teams never had the chance to evaluate him at the Senior Bowl at the tackle position. Iupati probably will be closely examined at that spot.


MD, how do you evaluate our current lineman, and do you think they have a pretty good ceiling. Specifically Staley and Rachal. What's Iupati's ceiling, and how do you rate the other linemen in the draft. I've noticed you're notvery high on Fox or Bulauga

The Niners have two quality linemen right now in Heitmann and Staley, who are starter quality. Staley is probably a mid-level starting LT in the league, and I sincerely doubt he will ever make a push for the Pro-Bowl. Heitmann is at the apex of his career (I think he played slightly better last season), and is a solid starter. Once again, not Pro-Bowl material, but consistent and reliable. The drop to the next level is pretty steep, where I grade Baas and Rachal about equally. Baas doesn't have much mobility, and his lack of foot speed hurts his ability to play at a high level. He is not a bad player, but certainly below average for starting LG's in the league. He should be a reserve. Rachal is more athletic than Baas, but is prone to making mistakes. He takes poor angles, misses assignments, and often loses balance against the undertackles of the NFL. Once again, he is not a bad player, but needs a lot of work. He has a big upside, and has some solid moments, but consistency is his biggest problem. Finally, Snyder is backup material, period. And, who knows what we have with Pashos?

So, right now, we have two solid starters, one guy who should be on the bench for sure, and two other guys who simply are not good enough to start on most teams in the league.

Iupati has a very high ceiling, in my opinion. He's huge, strong, fast, and bends his knees well. He is terrific with his hands, and is mobile. He looks more athletic than nearly every OT in this draft, so there is no doubt he is going to get his shot to play on the end.

As for Fox and Bulaga, I really like both players. To me, Bulaga does not have a high ceiling like Iupati and A. Davis, but is a terrific technician, and should be a solid pro. Fox is a guy that intrigues me as a RT in the league. Great height, experience, and grades out higher than maybe any OT in college over his career. He is a terrific player, and you can see how much Miami missed him in the bowl game. Their line was a disaster.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Iupati is an unknown at OT, but Senior Bowl week hopefully will answer some questions whether he can play that position. What I do know is that he appears to be a major long-term upgrade over Baas and Rachal at guard, even if he does not project well at OT.

I was big fan of Joe Staley well before he was nationally known in college, simply due to his footwork. While their body types are very different at this stage of their college career, I do see excellent movement for an OL. He already has the size and strength and length to move to the outside.

Albert is smaller-framed, and left college after his junior year. So, teams never had the chance to evaluate him at the Senior Bowl at the tackle position. Iupati probably will be closely examined at that spot.


MD, how do you evaluate our current lineman, and do you think they have a pretty good ceiling. Specifically Staley and Rachal. What's Iupati's ceiling, and how do you rate the other linemen in the draft. I've noticed you're notvery high on Fox or Bulauga

The Niners have two quality linemen right now in Heitmann and Staley, who are starter quality. Staley is probably a mid-level starting LT in the league, and I sincerely doubt he will ever make a push for the Pro-Bowl. Heitmann is at the apex of his career (I think he played slightly better last season), and is a solid starter. Once again, not Pro-Bowl material, but consistent and reliable. The drop to the next level is pretty steep, where I grade Baas and Rachal about equally. Baas doesn't have much mobility, and his lack of foot speed hurts his ability to play at a high level. He is not a bad player, but certainly below average for starting LG's in the league. He should be a reserve. Rachal is more athletic than Baas, but is prone to making mistakes. He takes poor angles, misses assignments, and often loses balance against the undertackles of the NFL. Once again, he is not a bad player, but needs a lot of work. He has a big upside, and has some solid moments, but consistency is his biggest problem. Finally, Snyder is backup material, period. And, who knows what we have with Pashos?

So, right now, we have two solid starters, one guy who should be on the bench for sure, and two other guys who simply are not good enough to start on most teams in the league.

Iupati has a very high ceiling, in my opinion. He's huge, strong, fast, and bends his knees well. He is terrific with his hands, and is mobile. He looks more athletic than nearly every OT in this draft, so there is no doubt he is going to get his shot to play on the end.

As for Fox and Bulaga, I really like both players. To me, Bulaga does not have a high ceiling like Iupati and A. Davis, but is a terrific technician, and should be a solid pro. Fox is a guy that intrigues me as a RT in the league. Great height, experience, and grades out higher than maybe any OT in college over his career. He is a terrific player, and you can see how much Miami missed him in the bowl game. Their line was a disaster.

Would it be wise then to get Iupati in the first and Fox in the third per the MD first 100 list you have Fox in the 70s? Would you go for a third Olineman to finish out the trifecta?
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Ninefan56:

Would it be wise then to get Iupati in the first and Fox in the third per the MD first 100 list you have Fox in the 70s? Would you go for a third Olineman to finish out the trifecta?

I really like Iupati, but taking a guard in the middle of the first is overpaying. I think that's a really big reach and we'd be better off getting an OT in the first.
Originally posted by smileyman:
Originally posted by kronik:
I dont know if Haden or Iupati is my favorite prospect to draft this year. I'd take both and take RT Fox in the 2nd round.

I really don't like Haden. I think his coverage skills are overrated and he's awful in run support.

When have you watched him? I thought that he's been very good in coverage, and definitely solid in run support. He did a really good job covering Julio Jones and has always been a willing tackler.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by dhp318:
Originally posted by smileyman:
Originally posted by kronik:
I dont know if Haden or Iupati is my favorite prospect to draft this year. I'd take both and take RT Fox in the 2nd round.

I really don't like Haden. I think his coverage skills are overrated and he's awful in run support.

When have you watched him? I thought that he's been very good in coverage, and definitely solid in run support. He did a really good job covering Julio Jones and has always been a willing tackler.

Here look at these highlights from the SEC chamionship. Haden makes one good open field tackle but through the rest you can see him missing tackles and getting blocked easily.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNf9YN85U_4
Originally posted by smileyman:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:

Would it be wise then to get Iupati in the first and Fox in the third per the MD first 100 list you have Fox in the 70s? Would you go for a third Olineman to finish out the trifecta?

I really like Iupati, but taking a guard in the middle of the first is overpaying. I think that's a really big reach and we'd be better off getting an OT in the first.

But taking a tight end in the top 6 is fine?

Get real man. Did Seattle regret drafting Hutchinson? Iupati will be a stud at OG you take him and let him do his thing.

There is no reason to move him because he's great at OG. Unless we sign Mankins in FA a first of Anthony Davis and Iupati will finally give us a line that can bring the pain.
I just want the 49ers to get a right tackle in the draft!
I want Iupati
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Iupati is an unknown at OT, but Senior Bowl week hopefully will answer some questions whether he can play that position. What I do know is that he appears to be a major long-term upgrade over Baas and Rachal at guard, even if he does not project well at OT.

I was big fan of Joe Staley well before he was nationally known in college, simply due to his footwork. While their body types are very different at this stage of their college career, I do see excellent movement for an OL. He already has the size and strength and length to move to the outside.

Albert is smaller-framed, and left college after his junior year. So, teams never had the chance to evaluate him at the Senior Bowl at the tackle position. Iupati probably will be closely examined at that spot.


MD, how do you evaluate our current lineman, and do you think they have a pretty good ceiling. Specifically Staley and Rachal. What's Iupati's ceiling, and how do you rate the other linemen in the draft. I've noticed you're notvery high on Fox or Bulauga

The Niners have two quality linemen right now in Heitmann and Staley, who are starter quality. Staley is probably a mid-level starting LT in the league, and I sincerely doubt he will ever make a push for the Pro-Bowl. Heitmann is at the apex of his career (I think he played slightly better last season), and is a solid starter. Once again, not Pro-Bowl material, but consistent and reliable. The drop to the next level is pretty steep, where I grade Baas and Rachal about equally. Baas doesn't have much mobility, and his lack of foot speed hurts his ability to play at a high level. He is not a bad player, but certainly below average for starting LG's in the league. He should be a reserve. Rachal is more athletic than Baas, but is prone to making mistakes. He takes poor angles, misses assignments, and often loses balance against the undertackles of the NFL. Once again, he is not a bad player, but needs a lot of work. He has a big upside, and has some solid moments, but consistency is his biggest problem. Finally, Snyder is backup material, period. And, who knows what we have with Pashos?

So, right now, we have two solid starters, one guy who should be on the bench for sure, and two other guys who simply are not good enough to start on most teams in the league.

Iupati has a very high ceiling, in my opinion. He's huge, strong, fast, and bends his knees well. He is terrific with his hands, and is mobile. He looks more athletic than nearly every OT in this draft, so there is no doubt he is going to get his shot to play on the end.

As for Fox and Bulaga, I really like both players. To me, Bulaga does not have a high ceiling like Iupati and A. Davis, but is a terrific technician, and should be a solid pro. Fox is a guy that intrigues me as a RT in the league. Great height, experience, and grades out higher than maybe any OT in college over his career. He is a terrific player, and you can see how much Miami missed him in the bowl game. Their line was a disaster.

Thank you for the thorough analysis MD. It's very appreciated as always. I wonder if we should be drafting an LT and moving Staley to the right. Hmmm
Simply put, Iupati appears plenty talented enough to start anywhere along the line.

If it is determined he can play tackle, Iupati will go as high as top 15.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 17,134
Originally posted by Butter:
So could the Niners draft the BPA at RT with their 1st pick, and then trade down lower in the 1st or early second and still draft Iupati with a later pick?

Iupati is a 1st round lock IMO. I'd say between 10-20 range right now. His stock could go up depending on the senior bowl/combine performance of other OLmen
Lupati wont get drafted by the niners.... Scotty has made it very clear that he will not invest a lot of money in a Gaurd. Its not going to happen!
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by Butter:
So could the Niners draft the BPA at RT with their 1st pick, and then trade down lower in the 1st or early second and still draft Iupati with a later pick?

Iupati is a 1st round lock IMO. I'd say between 10-20 range right now. His stock could go up depending on the senior bowl/combine performance of other OLmen

So they'd probably have to use their second 1st to get Iupati to be safe. But maybe they could trade back a little bit and get him?
Originally posted by MadMartz:
Lupati wont get drafted by the niners.... Scotty has made it very clear that he will not invest a lot of money in a Gaurd. Its not going to happen!

I think the highest our pick can be is #11. I still expect the first pick to be RT(hopefully Anthony Davis won't raise his stock THAT much) if we grab Iupati it will be probably 15 or so. We're not talking about a top 10 pick. You would pay a free agent average guard probably similarly to what we'd have to pay Iupati based on his draft slot.

Unfortunately the guys I like for the offensive line have done really well lately and their stock will only continue to rise :(

Let's just hope QBs raise their stock big time and teams picking before us are ok on the offensive line(which usually isn't the case with sucky teams)