LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 318 users in the forums

My mock draft as of 12/30/2009 for first 14 picks

Originally posted by tap11:
As good as Berry is, it is unlikely that a safety will go third overall (and Pioli likes to start with the lines anyway).

Running backs are a dime a dozen and should rarely be picked until the late first. Spiller is good but not worth a high first.

As for safety, I'd agree but with Berry he has a chance to be a Polamalu/Ed Reed type. Those are game changers. If there is chance you can draft one, you choose them that high.

Regarding RBs, I'd agree with you on that as well but this guys is lighting in a bottle. He reminds me of RB Tony Dorsett from 80s but with WR hands. You can line him up at the slot, RB, along with KR/PR. Surprisingly can even block for less than 200 lbs. If he runs mid 4.3s like expected, he will climb.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
I love it, but most people will think it's not "sexy" enough.

I think it's sexy

I approve
Originally posted by KOniner:
Originally posted by tap11:
As good as Berry is, it is unlikely that a safety will go third overall (and Pioli likes to start with the lines anyway).

Running backs are a dime a dozen and should rarely be picked until the late first. Spiller is good but not worth a high first.

As for safety, I'd agree but with Berry he has a chance to be a Polamalu/Ed Reed type. Those are game changers. If there is chance you can draft one, you choose them that high.

Regarding RBs, I'd agree with you on that as well but this guys is lighting in a bottle. He reminds me of RB Tony Dorsett from 80s but with WR hands. You can line him up at the slot, RB, along with KR/PR. Surprisingly can even block for less than 200 lbs. If he runs mid 4.3s like expected, he will climb.

Its funny, the saying goes, "if we can only teach a track star to catch a football", well, this guy IS a track star AND he can play football. There is no way, and I don't care if he still has turf toe, that he runs slower then a 4.40. So many football players right now are training with track coaches to better their combine time, CJ Spiller already knows how to run fast straight down a track. I believe that GM's will have visions of another Chris Johnson dancing in their heads.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
much much better KO,

Watching the Idaho/BG game, im warming up to Iupati as our 2nd 1st rd pick. Guy is a beast. And from what ive heard he is a model citizen. Good charachter.

same here. this is the 1st time watching him live and so far i've not been dissapointes
I'd love it!
I'd so dig that. I've been tinkering with a mock that has us taking Davis and Iupati, although I think we'd need to move up for Davis and I think we could move down for Iupati.
Get'er done
2 new starters on the line in 2010! Just what the doctor ordered
  • Stuuk
  • Veteran
This would definitely sort out any OL issues we have!!
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
You're right, not sexy...........but I think I could live with it.

Agree

• mayo49
  • Veteran
I like.
Originally posted by KOniner:
Got board and thought I'd give it a try:

1. St. Louis (1-14) Ndamukong Suh, DT - Have to go with best player regardless of position because they need everything.
2. Detroit (2-13) Russell Okung, OT - Need someone to protect their QB investment, especially now that he is completely knocked out fo this year.
3. Kansas City (3-12) Eric Berry, S - Like the Rams, have to go with best available talent on the board.
4. Tampa Bay (3-12) Gerald McCoy, DT - Get the DL help they need. WR too early for this pick.
5. Washington (4-11) Jimmy Clausen, QB - Now with Shannahan at the helm, need a QB for the WCO in DC since they have tired of Campbell.
6. Cleveland (4-11) CJ Spiller, RB - Have a feeling he will blow-up at the combines causing his mercurial rise here. Perfect fit for WCO now that Holmgren running the show in the front office.
7. Seattle (5-10) Sam Bradford, QB - Need that QB for the future since Hasselback is getting up their in age. The other option is OT Anthony Davis but have a feeling they believe QB has to be for the long-term.
8. Buffalo (5-10) Dez Bryant, WR - Now that TO warms out welcome, will need someone to take his place. Though a little high for eight, we've seen the Bills reach previously at their pick (i.e. Donte Whitner, Aaron Maybin, John McCargo)
9. Oakland (5-10) Jason Pierre-Paul, DE - Another looks like Tarzan type for the Raiders who love speed.
10. Denver - from Chicago (6-9) Joe Haden, CB - Damn, they nab him right before us. Before people say why Denver does this because they have Champ Bailey, it is because Champ's contract expires next year and he is starting to lose a step with age.
11. San Francisco (7-8) Anthongy Davis, OT - We get our big RT for the next ten years and finally move the opposing pass rushers' Highway 68 (known as Adam Snyder) to the backup role.
12. Jacksonville (7-8) Derrick Morgan, DE - They need a pass rusher in the biggest way and he is the best available one at this slot. Still needs developing though.
13. Tennessee (7-8) Rolando McClain, LB - They are really good and deep for a 7-8 team. The only part of their need I can seem them addressing this early is a LB corp that is starting to age. McClain can backup all three LB positions while he learns the defense.
14. San Francisco - from Carolina (7-8) Mike Iupati, OG - Rest of pass rushers look okay but believe he will grade out better. And I believe a decent OLB/DE type will still be available at number 47 in the second round. Anyway, there is going to be some quality beef on the line next year.

BTW, just re-edited this since I was reminded that TB picked up a QB in Josh Freeman last year. Totally forgot about that.

Differences that I see:

1. Rams - J. Claussen
3. KC - Suh: Piolli would kill for a Suh/Jackson tandem. Dorsey becomes trade-bait.
5. Washington - S. Bradford
9. Oakland - OT: We think we have OT issues? Oakland wises up.
12. Jacksonville - Bryant/Haden: They'd like to see either of these guys still around.

Cleveland seems like a wildcard to me. They could pick anyone. They should look at Haden because they'll never be competitive until they fix that defense. They've been the floor mat of the NFL for far too long. However, Spiller wouldn't really surprise me. Holmgren would probably love to see him team up with Jerome Harrison and James Davis. They certainly have the Oline to make that a very productive rushing attack. Plus, it would help ease the load on their QB, whoever that is going to be. I think Dez Bryant could be consideration also, though he seems like a stretch at this point.
No way Lupati goes in the top 25. Yes he is a beast and yes he would be a major upgrade for us BUT he is an OG and guards arent valued nearly high enough to be picked this high.

I would love to get him but only if we trade back to 22-30 to make it happen.
Originally posted by northshore:
No way Lupati goes in the top 25. Yes he is a beast and yes he would be a major upgrade for us BUT he is an OG and guards arent valued nearly high enough to be picked this high.

I would love to get him but only if we trade back to 22-30 to make it happen.

I really don't know if he will last past 20. He is really solid, stong, and can even play tackle. I have a feeling he may do well at the combines pushing his stock to the mid-teens. Even though a guard, I just feel he may push his stock up here. And if you look at who else is available at that pick (provided we already pick a tackle earlier), I just don't see anyone rated higher overall. Anyway just my two cents and really it isn't even worth that come draft day since I don't hold the cards. But fun to talk about since we don't have playoffs.
Share 49ersWebzone