There are 148 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Bowl Week: Prospect Watch #3, the Last of 2009: 12/30 - 12/31

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
And for our sake.. I hope we sign someone who can handle Suh.. Because he's headed to St. Louis. I doubt he'd get passed on even if he got injured, he's that good.

He is the best college player I have seen play in a long time. A defender that can change the way a team has to play is very rare, and on D-line is practically unheard of. I hope, no pray he does not end up in St. Louis. He will be a pain in our a$$'s for years...
And for our sake.. I hope we sign someone who can handle Suh.. Because he's headed to St. Louis. I doubt he'd get passed on even if he got injured, he's that good.

Imagine Suh vs Baas and Chilo

Now imagine Suh vs Mike Iupati
One guy who I've noticed, who always stands out, is ILB Phillip Dillard of Nebraska. He's consistently tackles well and if it weren't for an injury in his past, I'm sure he'd be rated a little higher. Shows good strength as well as strong play diagnosis and solid coverage ability. While in seasons past, he hasn't put up big numbers, he's been productive this year -- putting up 10.5 TFL with 3 sacks, 1 INT, 1 FF this year despite missing the first two games.

I wouldn't mind taking a shot late in the 7th on Dillard; he can replace Ulbrich on Special Teams.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

I imagine if we had Iupati, the Rams would move Suh and match him up against our weaker OG. We badly need to sign a top-notch OG and draft another..

I imagine if we had Iupati, the Rams would move Suh and match him up against our weaker OG. We badly need to sign a top-notch OG and draft another..

Chilo got his act together later in the year after a bad start. But I agree we need atleast one top-notch OG.
A wrap-up on the Idaho-Bowling Green game. I was unable to watch the second half of the game, so I'll have to catch it later:

I only counted one play in the entire first half where Iupati did not execute correctly, and that was on a pull in a pile of bodies where he didn't locate the incoming LB.

He pulled on nearly every run play, was able to square up on DL, LB, and even DB's, and drive them backward. Excellent use of hands to power through players, as his legged chugged forward.

Many plays where he literally threw the defender to the ground. He has to be very careful at the next level, because sometimes grabbing and throwing guys to the ground can be called holding. I saw only one time where it was questionable, but he borders on the area where ticky-tack calls can be made.

Great footwork. Exceptional footwork. He is a leg-bender, so he has a good base and doesn't lose his feet, whether going in reverse or forward. Superb balance and strength.

I thought he was exceptional, which doesn't surprise me. This is the fourth time I've seen him play in 2009, and he is consistently solid every performance. The broadcasters had a blast isolating him on replays.

As for Barnes, he is just a very productive receiver from week-to-week, and this game was no different. He reminds me of Hines Ward (minus the nasty blocking ability). Ward is surely not a burner, but is so smart on the field that he finds ways to make plays.

That being said, there are not many Hines Ward's in the game, and sometimes highly skilled college players struggle at the next level because the game is so much faster. This may be the case with Barnes, who is going to run a slow 40 (I wouldn't be surprised to see a 4.60 time). Because of these straightline speed limitations, I think Barnes will have a difficult time being drafted any earlier than the top 80 picks.
wow, Suh was open in the endzone
Originally posted by Icelandic49er:
Originally posted by mayo63:
Clock, can Iupati play RT or is he strictly a guard?

I think he may indeed possess the feet to play RT. He's so incredibly athletic, yet immensely powerful, I don't think you can pass on the guy even if it is in the teens. I have to believe that he is the kind of top tier player, that special kind of Guard that comes around once in a decade that you MUST pull the trigger on early. And that means top 20 for Iupati. I hope for our sake, we take him by our 2nd first-rounder. I don't care where we put him, just take him and start him on the line immediately.

He was amazing to watch in this game. He´s so fast, he runs all over the place, great feet. Im with you. Just take him and start him.

I agree, he can start anywhere on our o-line
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
A wrap-up on the Idaho-Bowling Green game. I was unable to watch the second half of the game, so I'll have to catch it later:

I only counted one play in the entire first half where Iupati did not execute correctly, and that was on a pull in a pile of bodies where he didn't locate the incoming LB.

He pulled on nearly every run play, was able to square up on DL, LB, and even DB's, and drive them backward. Excellent use of hands to power through players, as his legged chugged forward.

Many plays where he literally threw the defender to the ground. He has to be very careful at the next level, because sometimes grabbing and throwing guys to the ground can be called holding. I saw only one time where it was questionable, but he borders on the area where ticky-tack calls can be made.

Great footwork. Exceptional footwork. He is a leg-bender, so he has a good base and doesn't lose his feet, whether going in reverse or forward. Superb balance and strength.

I thought he was exceptional, which doesn't surprise me. This is the fourth time I've seen him play in 2009, and he is consistently solid every performance. The broadcasters had a blast isolating him on replays.

As for Barnes, he is just a very productive receiver from week-to-week, and this game was no different. He reminds me of Hines Ward (minus the nasty blocking ability). Ward is surely not a burner, but is so smart on the field that he finds ways to make plays.

That being said, there are not many Hines Ward's in the game, and sometimes highly skilled college players struggle at the next level because the game is so much faster. This may be the case with Barnes, who is going to run a slow 40 (I wouldn't be surprised to see a 4.60 time). Because of these straightline speed limitations, I think Barnes will have a difficult time being drafted any earlier than the top 80 picks.

Nice summary.

I've seen lots of Iupati (I live in Idaho so I see lots of WAC and MWC games), and I've had a mancrush on the guy all year long. This game just solidified it for me. I'd love for us to grab him with our 1b pick and pick up another OG in FA.

Barnes' performance tonight definitely raised his visibility but I'm with you on his position. He's slow, but sure handed and manages to get open. I'm thinking that he probably moved up from 4th or 5th to the 3rd round, maaaybe the end of the 2nd.
I hope Stl passes on Suh for a QB, but with Spagnuolo being a defensive guy I doubt it
I would love to get Barnes! Dude runs a lot of the Wes Welker routes. I'm just guessing, but the way he plays, I think he could get separation on anybody...like an Isaac Bruce.

Draft Iupati and sign Stephen Neal

Because you have been so high on the kid I did single him out last night (which wasn't to hard) and I was impressed. Very quick and has a very solid frame, I would like to know his body fat percentage...I'm guessing he's a lot of muscle.

The one thing that I did notice to nit pick was push after pop. When he was pulling he was locating defenders like you said very quickly and was engaging with a full head of steam. You could hear the pop so you know he is a real thumper, but matched against the bigger guys he wasn't overly dominating them. Once he made initial contact both would stay fighting but it reminded me of 2 rams butting heads....once they hit they both are stopped in their tracks. It seemed that if the defender anticipated him coming and buckled down a bit he could take the shot without being forced back or pancaked. Granted this wasn't all the time but a guy his size I was expecting him to be bulldozing people once he was able to pick up a little speed.

Overall I was very impressed with him and hope we get to see him at the Senior Bowl.
Originally posted by jreff22:

Because you have been so high on the kid I did single him out last night (which wasn't to hard) and I was impressed. Very quick and has a very solid frame, I would like to know his body fat percentage...I'm guessing he's a lot of muscle.

The one thing that I did notice to nit pick was push after pop. When he was pulling he was locating defenders like you said very quickly and was engaging with a full head of steam. You could hear the pop so you know he is a real thumper, but matched against the bigger guys he wasn't overly dominating them. Once he made initial contact both would stay fighting but it reminded me of 2 rams butting heads....once they hit they both are stopped in their tracks. It seemed that if the defender anticipated him coming and buckled down a bit he could take the shot without being forced back or pancaked. Granted this wasn't all the time but a guy his size I was expecting him to be bulldozing people once he was able to pick up a little speed.

Overall I was very impressed with him and hope we get to see him at the Senior Bowl.

I have no doubt that he will be at the Senior Bowl. I just hope the coaches let him play OT as well as guard.
Originally posted by jreff22:

I have no doubt that he will be at the Senior Bowl. I just hope the coaches let him play OT as well as guard.

Why do you think he isn't/hasn't been playing OT to begin with...?