There are 253 users in the forums

Let's see who the real safety prospects are....

Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Originally posted by tohara3:
My choice is for Robert Johnson safety from Utah(6'2" 195)

What round is he scheduled to go in?

Round 3 or 4
How about Reshad Jones from Georgia? He will probably declare, he almost did last year.

I REALLY like this guy. very rangey.
seems to have good instincts and is always around the ball.
has good ball skills.
track speed.
very athletic.
plays with a "bring the wood" mentality even tho he isnt that big/bulky.
one thing to know about track guys too, he should bulk up a bit in the NFL,
as most college track guys dont hit the weights as hard in college.
easy to see him play in the NFL around 205 after a couple years.
his stock could rise quite a bit once workouts start.

i'd be scared to wait til the mid 3rd round to grab him,
although mid 2nd might be a reach.
Originally posted by ptinerocket:
I'll say it now, Earl Thomas will be better in the pros than Eric Berry

Can Thomas play SS too? If not I don't think he would fit in our defense because Gholston is here to stay. We do however need a SS because Lewis doesn't have much more left in the tank.
  • dman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Superbowl09:

Can Thomas play SS too? If not I don't think he would fit in our defense because Gholston is here to stay. We do however need a SS because Lewis doesn't have much more left in the tank.

I think Goldson can play SS ... these big SS are a way of the past and some teams just play 2 interchangeable safeties that can tackle and cover in space.

Id take a look at Nate Allen in the 2nd round .. he fills that need of a safety that can cover the deep ball and make plays in the air.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
How about Reshad Jones from Georgia? He will probably declare, he almost did last year.

He delcared yesterday and definitely should be considered.
Originally posted by Superbowl09:

Goldson is a better fit to play SS. Earl Thomas is a ball hawk. If drafted, we need to keep him at FS.
Can somebody list some strong safeties? Safeties that are over 215 lbs (besides Mays). I, unlike a lot of people don't believe Goldson is a strong safety. He has already had issues with injuries in his short NFL career. I'd like to keep him at FS.

[ Edited by kronik on Jan 6, 2010 at 16:44:56 ]
Originally posted by 9erHIGH:

I REALLY like this guy. very rangey.
seems to have good instincts and is always around the ball.
has good ball skills.
track speed.
very athletic.
plays with a "bring the wood" mentality even tho he isnt that big/bulky.
one thing to know about track guys too, he should bulk up a bit in the NFL,
as most college track guys dont hit the weights as hard in college.
easy to see him play in the NFL around 205 after a couple years.
his stock could rise quite a bit once workouts start.

i'd be scared to wait til the mid 3rd round to grab him,
although mid 2nd might be a reach.

Agree with that. I wouldn't be mad if we gave up a late pick to move up to the early 3rd to get him.
Originally posted by kronik:
Can somebody list some strong safeties? Safeties that are over 215 lbs (besides Mays). I, unlike a lot of people don't believe Goldson is a strong safety. He has already had issues with injuries in his short NFL career. I'd like to keep him at FS.

35 1 T.J. Ward SS Oregon 5-10 201 2 same 4.56
53 2 Darrell Stuckey SS Kansas 5-11 205 2-3 same 4.50
75 3 Harry Coleman SS LSU 6-2 206 3-4 same 4.53
93 4 Kurt Coleman SS Ohio State 5-10 195 4 same 4.57
116 5 Kyle McCarthy SS Notre Dame 6-0 210 4-5 same 4.58
143 6 Barry Church SS Toledo 6-1 219 5 same 4.56
152 7 Myron Rolle SS Florida St 6-2 223 5-6 same 4.67
173 8 Justin Woodall SS Alabama 6-1 220 6 same 4.64
198 9 Larry Asante SS Nebraska 6-0 215 6-7 same 4.56

These are the top 10 SS from NFL Draft Scout.com. I guess they don't consider Mays a SS. Couple of people on this list have already been mentioned as prospects. It appears to me that there is some decent depth here.

Originally posted by GoFD74:
Originally posted by 9er2631:
don't forget Clemson Safety DeAndre McDaniel. I saw him the other night and he was all over the field.

He's leaning towards staying for his senior year.

Yeah, he made it official this week. He's staying and will have a legit shot to be the first safety off the board next year.
What about chad jones from LSU considering he doesn't opt to play baseball??
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by kronik:

35 1 T.J. Ward SS Oregon 5-10 201 2 same 4.56
53 2 Darrell Stuckey SS Kansas 5-11 205 2-3 same 4.50
75 3 Harry Coleman SS LSU 6-2 206 3-4 same 4.53
93 4 Kurt Coleman SS Ohio State 5-10 195 4 same 4.57
116 5 Kyle McCarthy SS Notre Dame 6-0 210 4-5 same 4.58
143 6 Barry Church SS Toledo 6-1 219 5 same 4.56
152 7 Myron Rolle SS Florida St 6-2 223 5-6 same 4.67
173 8 Justin Woodall SS Alabama 6-1 220 6 same 4.64
198 9 Larry Asante SS Nebraska 6-0 215 6-7 same 4.56

These are the top 10 SS from NFL Draft Scout.com. I guess they don't consider Mays a SS. Couple of people on this list have already been mentioned as prospects. It appears to me that there is some decent depth here.

One guy on that list that I think has a good chance to fall to the fourth round for us is Kurt Coleman. His height may put some teams off, but I really like this kid. He will need a couple years in the league before he is ready to start, but that makes him a perfect guy to learn from Lewis. Coleman has great instincts, character, and leadership potential. Plus his cousin, a very close friend of mine, lives in San Jose and could then get me free tickets!
Originally posted by GoFD74:
I like VaTech's Kam Chancellor as a SS to pair with Goldson (FS). Kam has the size to be a force in the box (6'4", 230), but has also played some FS and isn't totally lost in coverage.

I thinking the same thing after researching Safeties. This cat seems to be the next M. Lewis, just bigger. I also read that he played CB as a backup. He has the coverage skills that he developed playing FS, but the kid is a natural SS with great instincts, it looks like, against the run...exactly what we need for this D.

Maybe use our third rounder on him? It seems to be a strong safety class with all the underclassmen declaring with more to come possibly.

Yea, buddy!

Like someone else said, it seems as though this draft is curtailed to our needs at the time we pick. OLs in the first, playmaker for O in the second who can be a RS, and
a SS to succeed M. Lewis.

Hey Ghost, I am now leaning more and more toward Iupati as our second choice. A probowl caliber OG is worth that pick, IMO. Yes, I believe he can be a ProBowler as I don't recall any OL prospect in the last five years throw DLs like rag doll, consistently. This kid is the real deal in just the short time I've watched him.

At that second pick spot, E. Thomas would seem to fit. Move Goldson to SS and place E. Thomas at FS is another option.

I still want Iupati even more than Spiller and that is saying a lot for me.
KAM CHANCELLOR IS NOT A GOOD SAFETY!!! he misses his assignments far too often.
Share 49ersWebzone