There are 142 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

GoFD's 2010 mock 1.0

Is Campbell the mauler-type? I think we may look for that in our RT in an effort to get production out of our rushing offense. I would love to find a way to work Iupati into the picture.

Spiller is a guy that I like, but I think could end up off the board before we pick. If our first pick is around 15, I think Spiller could go around 12. I think somebody looking for a 2-back system will take him.

And, being a Kansas State fan, I was intrigued by your selection of Banks. His size and off-field problems make me think he'll go undrafted. Not that using a 7th on him is a waste...

I know the obvious comparison is another K-State product, Darren Sproles, but Banks is even smaller. Sproles has a thicker lower body and understands leverage. Banks literally looks like a 12 year-old out there (his helmet even rattles around when he runs, LOL). I'd take him in the 7th as a pure return guy.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Do you think Lewis is really gone after this season? He came back strong, no?

GOFD - thoughts?

The main concern with Lewis is the concussion situation. He had 3 early on, so you not only worry about his health on a personal level, but you begin to worry that the way he plays makes him more susceptible.

I just don't think you can go into next season with Lewis as the starting SS with that type of health concern. Not only that, he's scheduled to make $4.1M next year which puts him on the radar to either have his contract restructured or him replaced.
Ghost, I really like the Bigby pick-up, he's all over the field at all times.
Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Originally posted by Reckless:
How much stock do you put into Campbell being a day 1 starter? He's REALLY raw.

He's definitely raw, but if they do draft him, they'll plug him right in and make him drink from the fire hose. He probably won't be solid until mid-way through year 2, but that's the chance you take with a guy like that.

Don't get me wrong, if Anthony Davis or Trent Williams are available at that pick, they'll go in that direction (and they should)...but I doubt those guys will be around, so it will likely be a choice between Bulaga (if he declares) and Campbell.

What about Charles Brown?

Charles Brown (6'6", listed at 285 but looks closer to 300+) is growing on me. He's definitely more of a LT-type (very much the prototype), with long arms, quick feet and excellent pass protection skills. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he turned into one of the better pass blocking OTs to come out of this draft.

He's just not a dominating run-blocker...so the question is, would they move Staley over to RT (where he seemed to play better as opposed to LT), re-sign Sims to start at LT until a guy like Brown is ready? I think MadDog talked about this...I think it's a great idea, though I doubt they'll do it.
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Originally posted by Reckless:
How much stock do you put into Campbell being a day 1 starter? He's REALLY raw.

He's definitely raw, but if they do draft him, they'll plug him right in and make him drink from the fire hose. He probably won't be solid until mid-way through year 2, but that's the chance you take with a guy like that.

Don't get me wrong, if Anthony Davis or Trent Williams are available at that pick, they'll go in that direction (and they should)...but I doubt those guys will be around, so it will likely be a choice between Bulaga (if he declares) and Campbell.

What about Charles Brown?

Charles Brown (6'6", listed at 285 but looks closer to 300+) is growing on me. He's definitely more of a LT-type (very much the prototype), with long arms, quick feet and excellent pass protection skills. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he turned into one of the better pass blocking OTs to come out of this draft.

He's just not a dominating run-blocker...so the question is, would they move Staley over to RT (where he seemed to play better as opposed to LT), re-sign Sims to start at LT until a guy like Brown is ready? I think MadDog talked about this...I think it's a great idea, though I doubt they'll do it.


If we went for Brown, and the shift of Staley to RT and Sims at LT (plus a change at OL coach), how would that affect your draft?
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Originally posted by mayo63:
Good job, Ghosty.

Thanks brother.


Question for you Ghost. How do you feel about Buluaga? Whats his ceiling/floor, vs the other OTs in the draft? How would you rank all the OTs? And slightly off topic, do you believe that much like you discussed Campbell, Rachal is that raw player that will at some point reach his potential and be good, or should we write him off as a bust? Thanks again for all the great insight!
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Ghost, I really like the Bigby pick-up, he's all over the field at all times.

Same here.

Bigby and Goldson would definitely give us a pair of very active and physical safeties. Bigby is kind of like a poor-man's Polomalu. Plus, you can never have enough players with dreads, especially in the secondary.
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Originally posted by RedAndGoldArmy:
i would not draft C.J Spiller....RB position is not our problem!

You clearly haven't read through this thread.

well i think he's overrated.
I can't put my finger on why, but I get a bad vibe from Campbell. I like the other picks though.

Bigby would be a sweet pick-up. Minor point, but TKO is under contract for 2010.
If we can land Spiller, Warren and Hardy in the same draft, along with a solid RT prospect like Cambell....I'd love this draft.....
Maryland offensive tackle Bruce Campbell told ESPN's Joe Schad he will leave school early and enter the NFL draft. Campbell missed three games this year, and has had an injury-laden career that could probably benefit from another year in College Park - Campbell had turf toe and a knee injury this season - but there's no question he's destined for a pro career. A long one. It just happens to come a little early at Maryland's expense. Campbell and Phil Costa were the only returning starters to the 2009 offensive line, and Maryland used seven different starting lineups on its offensive line this year. It's a group that desperately needs veteran leadership and experience, and Campbell's departure will be a significant hit. His strength is pass protection, but he's also an improving run blocker. He had an average season, but average for Campbell is very good for a lot of other players. He's a freakish athlete who is extremely strong, and there aren't a lot of offensive tackles like him in the NFL. He's been called the Vernon Davis of offensive linemen. That being said, the staff has made some progress in building the depth and adding some talent up front. With a more athletic group of young players making their way on the field, it shouldn't be impossible to fill the void Campbell will leave. - Heather Dinich, ESPN

This is the announcement, his injury history is something I have not looked into, what is up with that?

These are the notes on him I have compiled from around the web, I see he was ranked 28th overall for the class of 2011 by NFL Draftscout.

"impressive set of physical and athletic tools, ability to anchor vs. the bull-rush, patient in pass protection, good lateral mobility, quickness to consistently reach the corner vs. speed rushers, needs to do a better job locking onto defenders, ok run blocker"

Spiller also had turf toe this year but seems to have cleared up.
[/i]
Every year since I started paying attention to the draft the niners have gotten the player I wanted the most. Vernon Davis, Patrick Willis, Michael Crabtree...next year CJ Spiller!!
Guess my 12/09 mock of Campbell as our first pick at 13 wasn't such a stretch after all.

Funny thing, I agree with MadDog that Campbell will probably be taken by Oakland (or Buffalo if he gets past the Raiders), so he's not even likely to be around at #13 now.

New mock (v2.0) coming out by mid-week, once the combine wraps up.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Guess my 12/09 mock of Campbell as our first pick at 13 wasn't such a stretch after all.

Funny thing, I agree with MadDog that Campbell will probably be taken by Oakland (or Buffalo if he gets past the Raiders), so he's not even likely to be around at #13 now.

New mock (v2.0) coming out by mid-week, once the combine wraps up.

I think Campbell goes #8 to Oak and Davis goes #9 to Buffalo. I really think the Niners will have Buluga or Williams to choose from unless Seattle jumps them. I think that is a possiblity. I could see Seattle and Miami trading places and Seattle selecting Bulaga. They need a LT and I just dont think would want Williams. If that happened the Niners could go Spiller or Iupati at 13 as Williams would fall to 17 in my opinion
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Guess my 12/09 mock of Campbell as our first pick at 13 wasn't such a stretch after all.

Funny thing, I agree with MadDog that Campbell will probably be taken by Oakland (or Buffalo if he gets past the Raiders), so he's not even likely to be around at #13 now.

New mock (v2.0) coming out by mid-week, once the combine wraps up.

I think Campbell goes #8 to Oak and Davis goes #9 to Buffalo. I really think the Niners will have Buluga or Williams to choose from unless Seattle jumps them. I think that is a possiblity. I could see Seattle and Miami trading places and Seattle selecting Bulaga. They need a LT and I just dont think would want Williams. If that happened the Niners could go Spiller or Iupati at 13 as Williams would fall to 17 in my opinion

I think Seattle might stay pat and grab Charles Brown with their second 1st rounder...obviously Carroll knows him well, and he's got the size/ tools to be a really good LT for years to come.