LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 372 users in the forums

GoFD's 2010 mock 1.0

Re-sign
Ahmad Brooks - OLB
Takeo Spikes - ILB
Barry Sims - LT
Dre' Bly - CB
David Baas - OG (RFA if the new CBA doesn't get done)

Sign
Atari Bigby - SS (takes over for Michael Lewis and pairs with Goldson to form a strong safety duo)

Draft
1.) Bruce Campbell, OT (Maryland) - Physical specimen but very raw; starting RT from day one
1.) C.J. Spiller, RB (Clemson) - Playmaker on offense and special teams; takes over for Gore in 2012
2.) Donovan Warren, CB (Michigan) - Big CB with excellent ball skills; Nate's eventual replacement
3.) Greg Hardy, DE/OLB (Mississippi) - Can Singletary turn Hardy around like he did Brooks? Definitely worth the risk
4.) Sergio Render, OG (VaTech) - Could eventually replace Baas; excellent size and adds depth to the o-line
5.) Micah Johnson, ILB (Kentucky) - Depth and size at ILB
6.) Kade Weston, DT (Georgia) - Huge run-stuffing NT (6'5", 325) to backup Franklin
7.) Brandon Banks, WR (Kansas St.) - Speed WR and special teamer whose stock has dropped due to recent arrest
Always respect your football knowledge ghost. But I am a little shocked you have Campbell going so high? Also surprised you have Hardy going in the 3rd round. Question about the CB Warren. Does he add speed to our secondary that is so lacking? PS: I don't think speed is all important, but if we don't play tampa baycolts style cover 2 defense, I believe we need speed which we don't have.
Hardy will make it to the 3rd?

hmmmmmm.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Hardy will make it to the 3rd?

hmmmmmm.
Originally posted by kronik:
Always respect your football knowledge ghost. But I am a little shocked you have Campbell going so high? Also surprised you have Hardy going in the 3rd round. Question about the CB Warren. Does he add speed to our secondary that is so lacking? PS: I don't think speed is all important, but if we don't play tampa baycolts style cover 2 defense, I believe we need speed which we don't have.

Excellent questions...before I answer, just know that this is subject to change in the next few months, so nothing I say should be considered concrete.

I definitely think Campbell will rise up the boards, mostly because all prototypical LT-types with great feet and excellent potential tend to rise higher than they really should. That said, Campbell (like most juniors) really hasn't been thoroughly assessed by the scouts...the deeper they look the more they're going to see his massive potential, which will push him up the draft board.

Warren has pretty good speed for a guy his size (probably a 4.45-4.51 guy), but he's not a burner at all. Given the size of the WRs in our division (Fitz, Boldin, Breaston, Doucet, Housh, etc.) it's more important to have bigger/physical corners than the little speedy CBs. Not to mention, we already have a few of those (Bly and Brown), so Warren's size will be a nice addition.

Hardy is tough to read....he's got all the talent in the world but he scares a lot of people for a number of reasons (injuries, attitude, clashes with coaches, lack of big-time production the last few years, etc.). I liken him to Michael Johnson last year who clearly had 1st round talent/skills, but similar concerns caused him to drop to Cincy in the 3rd round.

Again, this mock will change the closer we get to the draft, but based on the information at hand, it's my best shot.
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Re-sign
Ahmad Brooks - OLB
Takeo Spikes - ILB
Barry Sims - LT
Dre' Bly - CB

Sign
Atari Bigby - SS (takes over for Michael Lewis and pairs with Goldson to form a strong safety duo)

Draft
1.) Bruce Campbell, OT (Maryland) - Physical specimen but very raw; starting RT from day one
1.) C.J. Spiller, RB (Clemson) - Playmaker on offense and special teams; takes over for Gore in 2012
2.) Donovan Warren, CB (Michigan) - Big CB with excellent ball skills; Nate's eventual replacement
3.) Greg Hardy, DE/OLB (Mississippi) - Can Singletary turn Hardy around like he did Brooks? Definitely worth the risk
4.) Sergio Render, OG (VaTech) - Could eventually replace Baas; excellent size and adds depth to the o-line
6.) Kade Weston, DT (Georgia) - Huge run-stuffing NT (6'5", 325) to backup Franklin
7.) Brandon Banks, WR (Kansas St.) - Speed WR and special teamer whose stock has dropped due to recent arrest

Hmm...tough one for me. I'm not a huge fan of Campbell - would prefer Anthony Davis to add to our Davis triplets ;) Altho I could live with Campbell in this case.

Spiller...I'm in the camp that doesn't want to spend a first rounder on a running back and I think people making comparisons to Chris Johnson would be pretty disappointed with the guy but his speed is something exciting and he'd certainly fix our return game.

The rest of the picks I like though. I don't see a way Hardy falls to the 3rd round though. The guy is too good.

I also really like Micah Johnson the guy is a warrior but I think 5th is too low for him as well.
I like it, but I dont se Spiller lasting to our 2nd 1st rd pick.

Excellent questions...before I answer, just know that this is subject to change in the next few months, so nothing I say should be considered concrete.

I definitely think Campbell will rise up the boards, mostly because all prototypical LT-types with great feet and excellent potential tend to rise higher than they really should. That said, Campbell (like most juniors) really hasn't been thoroughly assessed by the scouts...the deeper they look the more they're going to see his massive potential, which will push him up the draft board.

Warren has pretty good speed for a guy his size (probably a 4.45-4.51 guy), but he's not a burner at all. Given the size of the WRs in our division (Fitz, Boldin, Breaston, Doucet, Housh, etc.) it's more important to have bigger/physical corners than the little speedy CBs. Not to mention, we already have a few of those (Bly and Brown), so Warren's size will be a nice addition.

Hardy is tough to read....he's got all the talent in the world but he scares a lot of people for a number of reasons (injuries, attitude, clashes with coaches, lack of big-time production the last few years, etc.). I liken him to Michael Johnson last year who clearly had 1st round talent/skills, but similar concerns caused him to drop to Cincy in the 3rd round.

Again, this mock will change the closer we get to the draft, but based on the information at hand, it's my best shot.

Fair enough answers. I do disagree with you in terms of our "speedy" CB's. We don't have any. Bly is not speedy at all. He plays the angles very well though. Borwn is probably our fastest CB and I wouldn't call him speedy either. His speed is solid, but I doubt he can cover the go routes against guys like Desean.

As for big physical CB's, we still have Clements and Spencer who have good size. Personally, I'd go with Haden instead of Spiller with our 1st pick but I'm sure we know he'll be gone. I like SPiller but I wouldn't draft a returner that high unless Spiller will take over the starting RB position within the next 2 years. If this is the case, I'd trade Gore for a 2nd, maybe even a 3rd. Use that pick to try to move up for Iupati.
Solid all around. Couple picks from my own mock, specifically Donovan Warren, so how can I argue against the picks I have myself?

No major complains, other than I might stay away from Brandon Banks.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Solid all around. Couple picks from my own mock, specifically Donovan Warren, so how can I argue against the picks I have myself?

No major complains, other than I might stay away from Brandon Banks.

Agreed, doesn't Banks weigh only 150 lbs? He'd get killed in the NFL returning kicks.

Re-sign
Ahmad Brooks - OLB
Takeo Spikes - ILB
Barry Sims - LT
Dre' Bly - CB

Sign

Draft

Thanks for the mock Ghost. I would like Spiller/Haden/Davis at #1 and Iupati at #2. I think we need two starters out of round #1. I think we need speed in the backfield so who that would be I am not sure. I like the OG, we need ILB speed and support, not sure about McKillop. I am assuming that you are looking at Banks for our PR, because we desperately need one. Thanks again.
How much stock do you put into Campbell being a day 1 starter? He's REALLY raw.
no chainsaw, only a boomstick.

Nice job GoFD.
I think Spiller is a no-brainer, IMO.
Share 49ersWebzone