LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 220 users in the forums

MadDog's Early Big 100 Board

One post-game note from the Wisconsin game against Miami:

Like many board members, I was very impressed with Schofield's play. I believe my next projection with him will be in the early third round, not the late.

Although he looked good at times rushing the QB, at other times he simply appeared too small, not stout enough, and was engulfed. I saw this problem at times during the Big Ten season, even though he posted excellent statistics.

The thing that jumped out to me was not his pass rushing ability, but his quickness in and out of cuts, as he dropped into coverage. He showed an outstanding burst forward to tackle backs and TE's out in the flat. He does have an excellent motor, and is a high-effort player. I was very impressed, and could see him on either a 3-4 or 4-3 team.
md, i notice only 2 guards and no tackles in the second round. and the guards are late second. so my hope had been to pick 2 starters for our o-line with our (2)1rst and 2nd rounders. are the second round guards good enough to start day one in your opinion? if not, then imho we should use both firsts on OL and then see what DB falls to us in the second. in that case, who would you like to see in the second for us as a DB? of course this could all change with a good free agent signing. if only the yorks will open their wallets! but thats another post for another time...
[ Edited by Kezar1965 on Dec 30, 2009 at 10:44 AM ]
wow, do you really think we would be in position to have a shot at Spiller and a RT? then, in the second round, we might be able to get an edge rusher?
Originally posted by ninergold:
wow, do you really think we would be in position to have a shot at Spiller and a RT? then, in the second round, we might be able to get an edge rusher?

Spiller in the 13th area makes sense, and here is why:

He's not going to go in the top handful of picks. Teams rarely use high draft choices on RB's anymore, so I just don't see a top 5 pick.

Second, the next level of teams beyond the top 5 picks seem pretty secure in their RB's. Cleveland has found something with J. Harrison, Seattle really like Forsett, The Jags have MJD, the Broncos just drafted Moreno, and Oakland has 50 backs already. Tennessee has Johnson. All of those teams have MUCH bigger needs.

When you get into the middle first round, you find teams that are willing to go for that home run hitter to push them into the playoff, even if they have a quality back on their roster. This is especially true if a team wants to preserve their feature back from running the ball more than 17-19 times a game, and wearing them out. Teams like Atlanta, Houston, would probably be very interested.
Originally posted by Kezar1965:
md, i notice only 2 guards and no tackles in the second round. and the guards are late second. so my hope had been to pick 2 starters for our o-line with our (2)1rst and 2nd rounders. are the second round guards good enough to start day one in your opinion? if not, then imho we should use both firsts on OL and then see what DB falls to us in the second. in that case, who would you like to see in the second for us as a DB? of course this could all change with a good free agent signing. if only the yorks will open their wallets! but thats another post for another time...

I expect the second round to be littered with defensive secondary players, since there is only one elite CB in this draft in Haden (if he comes out). The only two guards I see taken are the junior from Florida, Pouncey (who seems to be leaving with his brother), and Asamoah. I also expect a lot of DL to go in that second round. And, since there are few top end WR's that will be drafted in the first round, I also expect a number of WR's going in the second.

As for OT's, Charles Brown may end up in this round, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Campbell fall into this range. There just aren't many quality OT's out there beyond the first handful of picks. We might see a bloodbath during the Senior Bowl practices. I expect Brandon Graham to easily handle anyone not named Okung (who most likely won't participate) or Brown or Iupati (if teams play him there..and even if he does, it could be ugly).

That is why I think there is zero chance the Niners will NOT use one of their first rounders on an OT.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Dec 30, 2009 at 11:56 AM ]
Not sure I saw his name mentioned, Demaryius Thomas....thoughts?
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by ninergold:

Spiller in the 13th area makes sense, and here is why:

He's not going to go in the top handful of picks. Teams rarely use high draft choices on RB's anymore, so I just don't see a top 5 pick.

Second, the next level of teams beyond the top 5 picks seem pretty secure in their RB's. Cleveland has found something with J. Harrison, Seattle really like Forsett, The Jags have MJD, the Broncos just drafted Moreno, and Oakland has 50 backs already. Tennessee has Johnson. All of those teams have MUCH bigger needs.

When you get into the middle first round, you find teams that are willing to go for that home run hitter to push them into the playoff, even if they have a quality back on their roster. This is especially true if a team wants to preserve their feature back from running the ball more than 17-19 times a game, and wearing them out. Teams like Atlanta, Houston, would probably be very interested.

In my mock I have Spiller falling to us with our 1a.

I expect the second round to be littered with defensive secondary players, since there is only one elite CB in this draft in Haden (if he comes out). The only two guards I see taken are the junior from Florida, Pouncey (who seems to be leaving with his brother), and Asamoah. I also expect a lot of DL to go in that second round. And, since there are few top end WR's that will be drafted in the first round, I also expect a number of WR's going in the second.

As for OT's, Charles Brown may end up in this round, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Campbell fall into this range. There just aren't many quality OT's out there beyond the first handful of picks. We might see a bloodbath during the Senior Bowl practices. I expect Brandon Graham to easily handle anyone not named Okung (who most likely won't participate) or Brown or Iupati (if teams play him there..and even if he does, it could be ugly).

That is why I think there is zero chance the Niners will NOT use one of their first rounders on an OT.

I'd love if we could get our hands on Graham. He's a freak. He's quick, but he's certainly not a finese player. You could line him up just about anywhere. He could even handle 3-4 DE duties, if needed.

I don't know what he runs, but he certainly looks athletic enough to play OLB. I think Graham's best attribute is that he finishes plays. Once he beats his man, he takes a direct path to the QB. Too often, we see speed rushers beat the OT, only to get pushed out of the play and if the QB steps up into the pocket, their pass rush is completely negated. We've see this from Manny and Haralson all year. With Graham, that doesn't happen. As soon as he beats his man, he's already turning the corner and closing in on the QB.

He'd doesn't look like he'd have much of a learning curve either. He'd be a very safe pick, IMO. I don't think he lasts to the mid-late 1st either, as many sites are projecting him. I could see him going in the #12-15 range.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by krizay:
You have Benn ahead of Tate and Shipley ahead of Gilyard?

I actually like all 4 but Tate/Gilyard/Benn Shipley order. But can see the Benn ahead of Gilyard.

But back to my original question. Really?

Speed, brother. Watch Benn burn the turf in Indi, and make a rise up the board. Good NFL body, as well. Scouts know that playing with Juice Williams was impossible for his productivity, and he didn't complain during this year. That REALLY impressed scouts and coaches.

I am very concerned about Gilyard's forty time, and I believe this is going to drop him down the board. He's got to run sharper routes and get off the LOS better. Terrific college player, no doubt. As for Shipley, he has Indi's Anthony Gonzalez written all over him.

After the Sugar Bowl your order will change.

We'll soon see. This will be a big game for him, as the Florida secondary is pretty good.

you'll be needing this
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
MD, where do you see Taylor Price and Freddie Barnes going?

Originally posted by 23zack80:
MD, where do you see Taylor Price and Freddie Barnes going?

I see them both as fourth rounders. Price has some serious jets, and could jump into the third round. He's also got the height.

Barnes is going to run as slowly as some OL. But, he adds return value, and is savvy on the field. Someone will take a shot in the fourth. I just perceive the league will see his speed limitations at the pro level.
MD, I think you remember me asking about marshall players, I think I asked u a few seasons ago about Ahmad Bradshaw, whats your thoughts on Cody Slate. I know he's injured do you think he'll be drafted? He reminds me of a Dallas Clark type player. Also I dont truely expect us to take a chance on him because he'd have to take Norris' spot or michael robinson imo.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Not sure I saw his name mentioned, Demaryius Thomas....thoughts?

Sorry, I missed this comment earlier. Thomas is probably going to decide his future shortly after the Orange, along with Morgan.
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
MD, I think you remember me asking about marshall players, I think I asked u a few seasons ago about Ahmad Bradshaw, whats your thoughts on Cody Slate. I know he's injured do you think he'll be drafted? He reminds me of a Dallas Clark type player. Also I dont truely expect us to take a chance on him because he'd have to take Norris' spot or michael robinson imo.

Not going to be drafted, sorry to say. Most guys with ACL issues are out for almost an entire year, so he won't be available until 2011. Too bad, he was a terrific college player. He'll get a camp invite in Summer 2011 from someone.
Originally posted by strickac:

I'd love if we could get our hands on Graham. He's a freak. He's quick, but he's certainly not a finese player. You could line him up just about anywhere. He could even handle 3-4 DE duties, if needed.

I don't know what he runs, but he certainly looks athletic enough to play OLB. I think Graham's best attribute is that he finishes plays. Once he beats his man, he takes a direct path to the QB. Too often, we see speed rushers beat the OT, only to get pushed out of the play and if the QB steps up into the pocket, their pass rush is completely negated. We've see this from Manny and Haralson all year. With Graham, that doesn't happen. As soon as he beats his man, he's already turning the corner and closing in on the QB.

He'd doesn't look like he'd have much of a learning curve either. He'd be a very safe pick, IMO. I don't think he lasts to the mid-late 1st either, as many sites are projecting him. I could see him going in the #12-15 range.

Graham is one of those players where you take their workout numbers and toss them aside. I don't care if he runs a 5.00. He simply is a great college football player who has all the skills to play at the next level. He was a man amongst boys this year in college, and I always think these players have a huge chance for success in the NFL. My man-amongst-boys player last year was Orakpo, and he was pretty good this season.
Share 49ersWebzone