LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 235 users in the forums

MadDog's Early Big 100 Board

Originally posted by Butter:
How do Trent Williams and Anthony Davis compare?

If the Niners do slip down a bit and miss out on one of those top tier RT (that sounds like a bit of an oxy-moron really), would they target a 2nd round RT or just try to find an upgrade in FA?

Tony Pashos was supposed to be a big upgrade, but never seemed to get a chance to be familiar with the schemes.

Davis is a LT or RT at the next level, but Williams is probably going to be limited to the right side. They both are similar in size, about 6'6", 325-330, but Davis is the better athlete, with the bigger upside.

However, Williams is the harder worker, and is the better run blocker. Williams would be a huge upgrade in helping the run game, right away. He's the best run blocking tackle in the 2010 draft.

If the Niners are on the clock, let's say with the 15th pick, and both Davis and Williams are off the board, my guess is that they will reach for the next best OT on the board, Bulaga or Iupati or Campbell (I think he's too raw for their interest).

I'd be shocked if the Niners do not use their first first round pick on a RT. I sincerely doubt they are heading down the FA path again.
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Jahvid Best at 45, you better be ready for some angry Cal fans...

Not really. Wait until Shane Vereen is the starter
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Maddog,
Should the Niners pick him, which offensive tackles are good enough to allow the team to immediately move Staley to RT? Do you think this maneuver would be better done in free agency?

Okung and Davis are the two ready to start right now at LT. However, I think the only player the team would start at LT would be Okung. In other words, Staley is going to be the LT for this team.

Since I believe the team will do everything to keep Sims, develop Boone, and shift Snyder inside as a backup, I doubt a FA is coming to town. The team really liked Oher last year, and I'm sure they would have loved for last year to be the season with two first rounders.
Originally posted by mtminer:
#94, Owusu-Ansah, goes to Indiana (pa). As always, good job. One of a few posters I always read.

Total brain fart. Thanks for the catch. This kid is one to watch. The talk is that he has some serious wheels. Should be fun to watch this offseason.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
So based on the slots...CJ Spiller and Mike Iuapti for the red and gold? :)

I think there would be a lot of tears in Ninersland. Spiller is going to be a blast to watch in the NFL.
Do you really think Toby Gerhart will be drafted ahead of a guy like Jacoby Ford, who may run one of the fastest 40's in the combine? I think Stanford's OL was just awesome this year.
  • dmatt
  • Veteran
I admit to being ill informed about this draft, but you have a guard at 20 and a center at 27. That seems highly unlikely to me.
Originally posted by midrdan:
MadDog,

I realize the combine and underclassmen declarations will have an impact on the final evaluation, but at this point do you think this draft is as deep as the previous few years? Especially at our key positions of need: OL, DE/OLB, CB/S, there doesn't seem to be any can't miss prospects out of the top 10 at these positions unless someone falls (or has a huge combine). In your opinion do we still focus on positions of need in the first round or target BPA, especially if a guy like Bryant is there in the middle of the 1st?

Thanks for your hard work once again.

To me, this is a good OT class if the juniors Davis (who has already declared but had not signed an agent) and Bulaga come out. If not, this class is going to be very weak at the top end. Iupati could help out if he moves to OT.

This is a weak CB class at the top end. To me, Haden is clearly the best CB in this class, and after him, the dropoff is pretty steep. We might only see one CB drafted in the first round.

The senior class of 3-4 OLB prospects in this draft is not very strong. Brandon Graham is the best senior prospect, and I see a big dropoff to the Greg Hardy, Austin Lane, George Selvie, Eric Norwood, Willie Young's of the draft. If the juniors come out and make the transition to the OLB position then we could see a nice boost to this class. Pierre-Paul is a freak of nature, with a huge upside, and Derrick Morgan a stud. I've got a feeling both will enter.
Everything looks just about right to me, MD. I think this is a very accurate assessment.

I do, of course, have some small disagreements that I must mention.

Discrepancies: (I will only post discrepancies of approx. 10 spots or greater)

Arrelious Benn (-20), by "-20" I see him going about 20 spots later.
Brian Price (+10)
Dwyer (+20)
Canfield (-10)
Fox (+10) -- Even despite the injury.
Gresham (+10)
Colt McCoy (+10)
Tebow (-10)

That's about it. And lastly.

Typos:

Wootton instead of Wooten.

Again, still very good. It's still early obviously, but I agree with this list just about all around.
Originally posted by dmatt:
I admit to being ill informed about this draft, but you have a guard at 20 and a center at 27. That seems highly unlikely to me.

Very fair statements.

Let's start with the center position. In three of the last five drafts, a center was selected in the first round. In fact, two centers were drafted last year in the first round, including Alex Mack with the 21st overall ( the second, Eric Wood, has been moved to guard).

As for Iupati, many scouts and coaches think that he will transition to OT in the NFL. He is a unique talent at guard, and has the quickness to make this move, in my opinion. I've seen him play in three games this year, and am always surprised by how well he moves. The closest comparison I can make is from five years ago, in the 2004 NFL draft, when the Eagles trade up with the Niners in order to select Shawn Andrews at number 16 overall. They debated playing him at OT, but did have him settle at OG.

In the 2006 NFL Draft, the Bucs drafted Davin Joseph 23rd overall to play guard. And Joseph is not nearly as talented.

In certain drafts, players at specific positions have increased value. In this draft, the top senior center is probably a third rounder. So, if a team needs a center, they better take a long look at Maurkice Pouncey, at 6'5", 320 pounds. He's a new generation center, who is clearly the cream of this draft class. It looks very likely that he is coming out.

I hope the info helps.

MD:
So a Spiller Iupati first round would seem possible for us and settle a lot of the speed and line issues for us. Do you see Spiller as a punt returner?

If this went down like the above then we would need a speedy CB, PR, Inside LB depth, OG if they move Iupati to OT, FS, and another DT/NT for developmental purposes.

Any feedback as to how Boone is developing? Any thoughts on Briggs as a developing OLB?
Originally posted by krizay:
You have Benn ahead of Tate and Shipley ahead of Gilyard?

I actually like all 4 but Tate/Gilyard/Benn Shipley order. But can see the Benn ahead of Gilyard.

But back to my original question. Really?

Speed, brother. Watch Benn burn the turf in Indi, and make a rise up the board. Good NFL body, as well. Scouts know that playing with Juice Williams was impossible for his productivity, and he didn't complain during this year. That REALLY impressed scouts and coaches.

I am very concerned about Gilyard's forty time, and I believe this is going to drop him down the board. He's got to run sharper routes and get off the LOS better. Terrific college player, no doubt. As for Shipley, he has Indi's Anthony Gonzalez written all over him.
Originally posted by confusedrhino:
Do you really think Toby Gerhart will be drafted ahead of a guy like Jacoby Ford, who may run one of the fastest 40's in the combine? I think Stanford's OL was just awesome this year.

We'll soon see. Both guys are situational players, not starters. Ford is just a short guy, but he will run like the wind. I'm just guessing the 5'7 7/8" is going to scare off some team as they look at WR. His main role in the NFL will be returning kicks.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Everything looks just about right to me, MD. I think this is a very accurate assessment.

I do, of course, have some small disagreements that I must mention.

Discrepancies: (I will only post discrepancies of approx. 10 spots or greater)

Arrelious Benn (-20), by "-20" I see him going about 20 spots later.
Brian Price (+10)
Dwyer (+20)
Canfield (-10)
Fox (+10) -- Even despite the injury.
Gresham (+10)
Colt McCoy (+10)
Tebow (-10)

That's about it. And lastly.

Typos:

Wootton instead of Wooten.

Again, still very good. It's still early obviously, but I agree with this list just about all around.

Thanks for the spelling on Wootton. Another mindless spelling error.

One cheating note living in Big Ten land. During the year, there was a ton of talk about Benn, who just didn't put up the numbers he expected. The beat writers for Illinois spoke to scouts who really like the kid a lot, and feel that his best football is ahead. This scout thought Benn would be a top 15 lock if he played for vitually any team in the country outside of Illinois. And, he's a really good kid. Final note: I had the chance to watch him play live this year, and he can really run. Ran a 9 route right through the secondary and had some serious jets.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
MD:
So a Spiller Iupati first round would seem possible for us and settle a lot of the speed and line issues for us. Do you see Spiller as a punt returner?

If this went down like the above then we would need a speedy CB, PR, Inside LB depth, OG if they move Iupati to OT, FS, and another DT/NT for developmental purposes.

Any feedback as to how Boone is developing? Any thoughts on Briggs as a developing OLB?

Spiller would be the punt returner, for sure. Not sure how Boone is developing, but obviously not ready to play at all. This was going to be a development year for him. Curious to see if he hangs around and works out in the 49ers facility this entire offseason.

I don't think the Niners are going to go outside their roster at OLB this offseason. I believe they will have Manny, Parys, Brooks and Briggs as the outside four guys in 2010.
Share 49ersWebzone