lets go UCLA!!!!!

prospects to watch
highest rated to lowest.

1. Jr. DT Brian Price 6'2" 300 lbs.
09' stats
T-2nd in the nation with 22.5 TFL
7 sacks on the year.
2 FF.

2. Sr. CB Alterraun Verner 5'11" 190 lbs.
09' stats
5 int on the year with 158 return yards with 1 score.
47 solo tkls total 64 tkls
3 TFL.

3. Sr. MLB Reggie Carter 6'1" 240lbs.
09' stats
45 solo tackles 27 assisted
8 TFL. 2 FF.

others to watch

FS Rahim Moore leads the nation with 9 int.
k kai Forbath won the Lou Groza Award for best kicker in the nation.
1st round prospect OT Gabe Carimi out early in the 1st quarter with a knee injury. Didn't look good.

Key guy to watch tonight, OLB Prospect O'Brien Schofield.
I know he's just a sophomore but I really like what I see out of J.J. Watt, with his size he could be a pretty good 3-4 DE prospect.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
1st round prospect OT Gabe Carimi out early in the 1st quarter with a knee injury. Didn't look good.

OT Gabe Carimi back in. oh my gawd Sam Shields got some afterburners or what.
Schofield blowing by the LT for that one. 11th sack of the year on that one.
OnTheClock, just wanted to give you a shout-out on Kavell Conner. I just read some comments from Mike Detillier, who's been involved with NFL scouting for over 25 years. He said that he went into the year thinking Conner wasn't a draftable player but now thinks he's a definite fifth or sixth rounder. He said Conner helped himself a ton with his play this year.

Honestly, LB play has been the Achilles heel of Clemson's defense this year, but maybe Conner will wind up drafted. He certainly had a hell of a game the other night. Detillier thinks Conner can get drafted and be a special teams player this year.

what's your projected round for him?
Carimi, as expected, looks sharp in the first half. Good all-around first half in both run and pass blocking. Created a nice pocket, and the DE just looks frustrated not going anywhere against him.

Pretty good mobility in pulling to the right side and has squared up really well against LB's at the second level on most occassions.

I did not put him on my Big Board because I think he wants to be the first OT drafted next year, and Wisconsin linemen tend to return for their final year. To me, he's a certain first rounder if he comes out this year.

One note on Carimi: I have noticed all season that he is better at pass blocking than run blocking. One thing he needs to work on his keeping his feet. He is too often on the ground, which is a technique issue; however, it may lead one to think he is more of a waste bender than a knee bender. And, that is not a good thing to be labeled.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Dec 29, 2009 at 7:42 PM ]
Schofield has been absolutely outstanding in every facet of the game. Pass-rushing, Run-stopping, Coverage, Field awareness, pursuit angles, just everything.

I cannot say enough good things about Schofield. I feel even more sure about my statements earlier in the year that I doubt he lasts past the 2nd round. With the way he's playing, the numbers he's put up, and being 6-2 250 pounds and quite sure to clock in the 4.6's -- Schofield is a unquestionably a day one talent in my eyes.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 29, 2009 at 8:18 PM ]
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

what's your projected round for him?

The 2nd.

Originally posted by TheBlueHell:
OnTheClock, just wanted to give you a shout-out on Kavell Conner. I just read some comments from Mike Detillier, who's been involved with NFL scouting for over 25 years. He said that he went into the year thinking Conner wasn't a draftable player but now thinks he's a definite fifth or sixth rounder. He said Conner helped himself a ton with his play this year.

Honestly, LB play has been the Achilles heel of Clemson's defense this year, but maybe Conner will wind up drafted. He certainly had a hell of a game the other night. Detillier thinks Conner can get drafted and be a special teams player this year.

Yes, good to hear. I absolutely believe Conner is a mid-to-late guy who at the very least can -- as Mike said, and as I expected scouts would see him (recall my comments about the Ravens' use of Dannell Ellerbe) -- be a special teamer/reserve LB.

Originally posted by Negrodamus:

OT Gabe Carimi back in. oh my gawd Sam Shields got some afterburners or what.

Shields clocked a 4.20 flat in Spring workouts. Could he do something like that at the combine or Pro-day? If he can, he could get himself drafted late.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 29, 2009 at 8:16 PM ]

The guys I really noticed(not that I'm an expert like you guys, but still)

Schofield was a beast. He had a sack and he had some nice plays where he was in coverage, and he drew a double team on that last drive where Miami had the ball and Harris got sacked on one of those last plays.

Carimi looked really good. He did a good job keeping guys off Tolzien, who also looked good IMO despite the INT. He could get better in the run game but he looks really good in pass protection. I'm a pretty big fan of his actually now, and I'd be ecstatic if he declared for the draft and we took him with one of our first rounders. He's a legit OT, heck maybe could even be better than Staley in the future.

Wasn't really impressed by any of the guys on Miami unfortunately. None of them really stood out.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Can someone give me an opinion on Alterraun Verner. He reminds me a little bit of Walt Harris in that he's a smart corner and relying on technique, instincts and play recognition instead of pure athletic ability. Round projection, maybe?
Originally posted by Ether:
Can someone give me an opinion on Alterraun Verner. He reminds me a little bit of Walt Harris in that he's a smart corner and relying on technique, instincts and play recognition instead of pure athletic ability. Round projection, maybe?

Middle rounds, late 3rd to early 5th. Spectacular closing ability in coverage to break up the pass, but a bit inconsistent as a tackler.
Schofield has been absolutely outstanding in every facet of the game. Pass-rushing, Run-stopping, Coverage, Field awareness, pursuit angles, just everything.

I cannot say enough good things about Schofield. I feel even more sure about my statements earlier in the year that I doubt he lasts past the 2nd round. With the way he's playing, the numbers he's put up, and being 6-2 250 pounds and quite sure to clock in the 4.6's -- Schofield is a unquestionably a day one talent in my eyes.

I saw the same thing you did in Schofield. The pass rush skills are there, his ability to turn the corner was evident and his quickness off the snap was impressive...his game reminds me of Clay Matthews from last year. He looks really comfortable in coverage too which makes him an even stronger 3-4 OLB prospect.

The only Miami player who stood out to me was junior DE Allen Bailey (6'4", 288)...I doubt he comes out this year, but he's someone to keep an eye on for the 2011 draft.
[ Edited by GoFD74 on Dec 30, 2009 at 3:55 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone