LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 207 users in the forums

Prospect Watch Thread Two: Bowl Week of 12/26-12/29

I have a feeling tomorrow's game will be a very close good one
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
Spiller is ridiculously fast.

Lightning fast!
Spiller wasn't consistently brilliant, but he showed how explosive and versatile he can be (kick/punt returns, catching passes, lining up in the slot, etc.). We'd be insane to pass on him if we had the chance....think choosing Kentwan Balmer and Chilo Richal over Desean Jackson. Teams who have a blinding desire to choose need over pure talent/playmaking ability will always make these types of mistakes....whereas smart teams will gamble on the blue-chip playmaker and figure out how to fill the other needs.

I know this much: I can't recall one game we lost this year because we didn't have a 1st round pick at RT, but I can point to several games that we lost because we didn't have enough gamebreakers/speed on offense/special teams.

Ok, I'm done.

Anyway...besides Spiller, the two other prospects that jumped out were Clemson's junior safety DeAndre McDaniel (this guy is going to be an absolute stud in the NFL) and Kentucky's DT Corey Peters (6'3", 295).

In tomorrow's Independence Bowl, keep an eye out for Georgia's other DT Kade Weston (6'5", 320). Jeff Owens is probably better known, but Weston is more productive and might end up being the better pro...he's probably more of a 2-down run-stuffing NT at the next level, but could develop into a very nice backup (and eventual replacement) for Franklin.
[ Edited by GoFD74 on Dec 27, 2009 at 11:38 PM ]
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Spiller wasn't consistently brilliant, but he showed how explosive and versatile he can be (kick/punt returns, catching passes, lining up in the slot, etc.). We'd be insane to pass on him if we had the chance....think choosing Kentwan Balmer and Chilo Richal over Desean Jackson. Teams who have a blinding desire to choose need over pure talent/playmaking ability will always make these types of mistakes....whereas smart teams will gamble on the blue-chip playmaker and figure out how to fill the other needs.

I know this much: I can't recall one game we lost this year because we didn't have a 1st round pick at RT, but I can point to several games that we lost because we didn't have enough gamebreakers/speed on offense/special teams.

Ok, I'm done.

Anyway...besides Spiller, the two other prospects that jumped out were Clemson's junior safety DeAndre McDaniel (this guy is going to be an absolute stud in the NFL) and Kentucky's DT Corey Peters (6'3", 295).

In tomorrow's Independence Bowl, keep an eye out for Georgia's other DT Kade Weston (6'5", 320). Jeff Owens is probably better known, but Weston is more productive and might end up being the better pro...he's probably more of a 2-down run-stuffing NT at the next level, but could develop into a very nice backup (and eventual replacement) for Franklin.

Do you think DeAndre McDaniel is going to declare? I noticed him a lot when I see Clemson play. Not sure what round he'd go in but we could probably use him opposite Goldson right?
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Ok, I'm done.

Do you think DeAndre McDaniel is going to declare? I noticed him a lot when I see Clemson play. Not sure what round he'd go in but we could probably use him opposite Goldson right?

I think I heard the announcers say he was undecided about declaring, but I wouldn't be surprised if he came out if he gets a solid grade. He and Goldson would make an awesome pair of young safeties...both have excellent ball skills and both love to knock the shiite out of ball carriers.

[ Edited by GoFD74 on Dec 28, 2009 at 1:00 AM ]
I think we have to consider drafting Spiller in the 1st round if we have chance. We need an OT badly and we should be able to get Trent Williams. I like Joe Haden but we need a good return man and someone who can take the pressure of Gore.

Ok, I'm done.

I think I heard the announcers say he was undecided about declaring, but I wouldn't be surprised if he came out if he gets a solid grade. He and Goldson would make an awesome pair of young safeties...both have excellent ball skills and both love to knock the shiite out of ball carriers.

Yes we would be nuts to pass on Spiller for sure. The safety NcDaniel did seem to be all over the field. We really need a young safety with speed to pair with Goldson back there.
McDaniel is supposedly leaning towards coming back unless he receives a first round grade. He's been told he will probably get a second or third round grade this year and says if that's the case, he's definitely coming back. He could very well be a stone cold first rounder next season with another strong year.

Ok, I'm done.

Spiller played with turf toe for how much of the season? I wonder how bad it was.

12/28
Spiller finished with 67 rushing yards and 172 all-purpose yards, giving him 7,588 career all-purpose yards to eclipse former Memphis standout DeAngelo Williams (7,573) for second place among Football Bowl Subdivision players.
"He was not hurt," Parker (QB) said of Spiller, who was bothered by turf toe throughout the season. "We just had three good running backs, and C.J. was fresh in the fourth quarter."

12/9
Anyone who watched the ACC Championship Game watched an incredible 4 touchdown 234 rushing yard performance by Clemson’s CJ Spiller. What made the performance even more special was the fact that CJ played with a turf toe injury.

11/14
Running back C.J. Spiller has been dealing with a turf toe injury since the first game of the season, but it hasn't slowed him down much as Spiller is averaging 199.8 all-purpose yards per game.
Von Miller got off the snap quick tonight, but just wasn't good in run support. The whole A&M defense was absolutely schooled.

No sacks for Miller. Disappointing.

Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

Ok, I'm done.

Spiller played with turf toe for how much of the season? I wonder how bad it was.

12/28
Spiller finished with 67 rushing yards and 172 all-purpose yards, giving him 7,588 career all-purpose yards to eclipse former Memphis standout DeAngelo Williams (7,573) for second place among Football Bowl Subdivision players.
"He was not hurt," Parker (QB) said of Spiller, who was bothered by turf toe throughout the season. "We just had three good running backs, and C.J. was fresh in the fourth quarter."

12/9
Anyone who watched the ACC Championship Game watched an incredible 4 touchdown 234 rushing yard performance by Clemson’s CJ Spiller. What made the performance even more special was the fact that CJ played with a turf toe injury.

11/14
Running back C.J. Spiller has been dealing with a turf toe injury since the first game of the season, but it hasn't slowed him down much as Spiller is averaging 199.8 all-purpose yards per game.

Spiller played with the injury all season, as he hurt his foot in the opener. His coach wisely sat him early in a couple of our games, but he still would reaggravate it on a weekly basis. The only thing that will heal him is prolonged rest, and he just couldn't get it this season. There were games, such as the ACC Championship game, where it was really bothering him. He took pregame and halftime shots a good bit this year.

Another thing to consider with Spiller is that he's never trained fully in the offseason for football due to being an All-American sprinter at Clemson during the winter/spring. I'm excited to see what concentrating on football will do for him.
Originally posted by TheBlueHell:
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

Ok, I'm done.

12/28

12/9

11/14

Spiller played with the injury all season, as he hurt his foot in the opener. His coach wisely sat him early in a couple of our games, but he still would reaggravate it on a weekly basis. The only thing that will heal him is prolonged rest, and he just couldn't get it this season. There were games, such as the ACC Championship game, where it was really bothering him. He took pregame and halftime shots a good bit this year.

Another thing to consider with Spiller is that he's never trained fully in the offseason for football due to being an All-American sprinter at Clemson during the winter/spring. I'm excited to see what concentrating on football will do for him.
Great info!
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Von Miller got off the snap quick tonight, but just wasn't good in run support. The whole A&M defense was absolutely schooled.

How did you think the rest of the players did?

A&M's Center didn't have the best game. Atkins on the on the other hand for Georgia had a very good game. He picked up a sack. His teammate Owens, however, pretty much did nothing but get a nice personal foul on a facemask.

I expect UCLA to pound Temple tonight. That's the hope at least. Brian Price should have a big game. I actually will not be able to watch it immediately and am forced to record this one, as I have work. But I'll get straight to it when I get home and give my assessment of the prospects then.

A&M's Center didn't have the best game. Atkins on the on the other hand for Georgia had a very good game. He picked up a sack. His teammate Owens, however, pretty much did nothing but get a nice personal foul on a facemask.

I expect UCLA to pound Temple tonight. That's the hope at least. Brian Price should have a big game. I actually will not be able to watch it immediately and am forced to record this one, as I have work. But I'll get straight to it when I get home and give my assessment of the prospects then.

Didn't catch the game, but saw the highlights this morning. Looks like Reshad Jones, Safety from Georgia had a pick and a big return. If he declares, it would add some more depth to a position of need for the Niners.
Share 49ersWebzone