There are 63 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

OT Anthony Davis to enter NFL Draft

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=4765128

Quote:
PISCATAWAY, N.J. -- Saying the NFL "has been in my heart for a while," Rutgers offensive tackle Anthony Davis is skipping his senior season and entering the draft.

"It's always been in the back of my head and now that the opportunity is here, I sat down with my coaches and my family and we decided that this my best move," said Davis, who has been projected as a first-round pick.

Some experts have slotted Davis as the third-rated draft-eligible offensive tackle prospect behind Oklahoma State's Russell Okung and Oklahoma's Trent Williams.

"Being at Rutgers taught me to be a man," the 6-foot-6, 325-pound Davis said. "I just felt like I came in as a boy and leaving as a man and I'm ready for things to come."

Davis, 20, plans to interview agents soon and shortly after that decide on where he will train in preparation for the NFL combine.

There might be a number of juniors who opt to skip their final season this year because the NFL players' collective bargaining agreement ends after next season. There is a possibility that a work stoppage might wipe out the 2011 season.

"Anthony's going to do very well at the combine," Rutgers coach Greg Schiano said. "He's so athletic for anybody, forget big or small. But then throw in the fact that he's 320 pounds -- he's an incredible athlete."

A starter since his freshman year, Davis was an All-Big East selection in 2009.

At the combine, which runs Feb. 24 to March 2 in Indianapolis, Davis will likely need to explain a few off-the-field issues in recent years.

In 2008, Davis violated team policy and was suspended for the Morgan State game. This season, Davis was benched for the first quarter against Army after reporting late to a team function earlier that week.

His weight has also been scrutinized after he was demoted for the first six days of training camp this past summer for reporting overweight.

"It's just minor stuff," Davis said. "I'll be ready to explain all the questions about me missing the Morgan State game. I had no weight issues."

For Schiano, whose team is fresh off a 45-24 win over Central Florida in St. Petersburg Bowl by Beef 'O' Brady's that capped the season at 9-4, it marks the third straight year that he's had a player declare for the NFL draft.

Davis joins Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice and Tennessee Titans rookie receiver Kenny Britt as Scarlet Knights who skipped their senior campaigns for the NFL.

"Anthony's ready," Schiano said. "He and I have talked many times. This has been a lifelong dream for him and there's no doubt in my mind that he's ready and he'll be a dominant player in that league."

"I remember watching Super Bowls and started crying out of nowhere," Davis said. "I respect the game so much, and I've watched it over the years. It's an honor to be a part of it. I hope those guys realize what they're a part of and respect the game because it's bigger than us."

------------------------------------------------------------

He likely will go top 10, but if he and Trent Williams are both available at the same pick, I'd take Davis.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 22, 2009 at 12:52 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=4765128

Quote:
PISCATAWAY, N.J. -- Saying the NFL "has been in my heart for a while," Rutgers offensive tackle Anthony Davis is skipping his senior season and entering the draft.

"It's always been in the back of my head and now that the opportunity is here, I sat down with my coaches and my family and we decided that this my best move," said Davis, who has been projected as a first-round pick.

Some experts have slotted Davis as the third-rated draft-eligible offensive tackle prospect behind Oklahoma State's Russell Okung and Oklahoma's Trent Williams.

"Being at Rutgers taught me to be a man," the 6-foot-6, 325-pound Davis said. "I just felt like I came in as a boy and leaving as a man and I'm ready for things to come."

Davis, 20, plans to interview agents soon and shortly after that decide on where he will train in preparation for the NFL combine.

There might be a number of juniors who opt to skip their final season this year because the NFL players' collective bargaining agreement ends after next season. There is a possibility that a work stoppage might wipe out the 2011 season.

"Anthony's going to do very well at the combine," Rutgers coach Greg Schiano said. "He's so athletic for anybody, forget big or small. But then throw in the fact that he's 320 pounds -- he's an incredible athlete."

A starter since his freshman year, Davis was an All-Big East selection in 2009.

At the combine, which runs Feb. 24 to March 2 in Indianapolis, Davis will likely need to explain a few off-the-field issues in recent years.

In 2008, Davis violated team policy and was suspended for the Morgan State game. This season, Davis was benched for the first quarter against Army after reporting late to a team function earlier that week.

His weight has also been scrutinized after he was demoted for the first six days of training camp this past summer for reporting overweight.

"It's just minor stuff," Davis said. "I'll be ready to explain all the questions about me missing the Morgan State game. I had no weight issues."

For Schiano, whose team is fresh off a 45-24 win over Central Florida in St. Petersburg Bowl by Beef 'O' Brady's that capped the season at 9-4, it marks the third straight year that he's had a player declare for the NFL draft.

Davis joins Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice and Tennessee Titans rookie receiver Kenny Britt as Scarlet Knights who skipped their senior campaigns for the NFL.

"Anthony's ready," Schiano said. "He and I have talked many times. This has been a lifelong dream for him and there's no doubt in my mind that he's ready and he'll be a dominant player in that league."

"I remember watching Super Bowls and started crying out of nowhere," Davis said. "I respect the game so much, and I've watched it over the years. It's an honor to be a part of it. I hope those guys realize what they're a part of and respect the game because it's bigger than us."

------------------------------------------------------------

He likely will go top 10, but if he and Trent Williams are both available at the same pick, I'd take Davis.

Im with ya on Davis, love him, Im hpping we are able to get him some how.
Whay Davis over Williams?
Give me Anthony Davis for our first 1st round selection!
  • dman
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,453
Is he 2nd best after Okung?
Davis, Okung, and Williams. One of them HAS to be there
Kiper was saying earlier today that Davis might be drafted ahead of Okung by the time the draft comes around.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Kiper was saying earlier today that Davis might be drafted ahead of Okung by the time the draft comes around.

He also said Iupati would last until the third round.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Give me Anthony Davis for our first 1st round selection!

One of our first round selections.
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Kiper was saying earlier today that Davis might be drafted ahead of Okung by the time the draft comes around.

He also said Iupati would last until the third round.

True. I wish.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Whay Davis over Williams?

Clear ability to play on both sides of the line, bigger, quicker on the kickslide, and exponentially more upside are just a few reasons why.
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Give me Anthony Davis for our first 1st round selection!

One of our first round selections.

Hope he is!
Look at the possibilities with our first rounders now:

Anthony Davis and...

Joe Haden (if our selections happen to be back to back)
Jerry Hughes (stock is going up)
Brandon Graham (stock is going up)
Mike Iupati (after offseason workouts, teams will notice his versatility at guard and tackle)
CJ Spiller
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Whay Davis over Williams?

Clear ability to play on both sides of the line, bigger, quicker on the kickslide, and exponentially more upside are just a few reasons why.

You think that if we drafted him, we'd end up flipping him to LT and bringing Staley back to RT at some point in the future?
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Whay Davis over Williams?

Clear ability to play on both sides of the line, bigger, quicker on the kickslide, and exponentially more upside are just a few reasons why.

You think that if we drafted him, we'd end up flipping him to LT and bringing Staley back to RT at some point in the future?

I'd think we'd place him at RT to begin. When healthy, Joe Staley is a very good LT. I think in the NFL Davis would excel the most at RT. Unless Joe started to underperform, I don't think they would swap.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home