OTC's Talent Tier Board

Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by ninertico:
Thank OTC as always for the great job you do.

Question: Is it me or is there really that many 1st round talents this year than in year's past? It seems like we may not even have to trade up from our 49-50th position in the second. It seems as though more underclassmen will declare including red-shirt sophs pushing the talent down.

Record year for declarations?

The more the list grows, the more I see how good of a shape we're in to land a fantastic player in the 2nd as well as the 3rd rounds and beyond.

Now, granted there is still time for opinions to change with All-Star games still needing to take place as well as the combine. McCoy could drop to a second round grade for me with a bad game tonight.

My grades will most certainly move at least some for some players, but as it stands, there should be a 1st-round level player available to us in the 2nd and maybe even third round.

That's what I thought and how exciting for us. What a rich draft!

Just a thought...do you think Cody is an option is available in the second to us as opposed to a S, RS, CB, or other? Seems like a ROT, Iupati and Mt. Cody draft solidifies our trenches, but I think secondary will be addressed in the second with RS skills, huh? Just seems more feasible and more options at secondary for a great player.

Thanks again.

Here's what I'm kind of thinking what'll go down.

2) We'll look for a top safety replacement for Lewis above all else after that.

Are you flirting with the idea of bumping Goldson to SS and looking for a new FS?

Unless the right FS prospect is there, I do not want to move Goldson. I think from here he's only going to get better at FS and what we need is a SS complement to take over for M-Lew. Earl Thomas is an SS by the way, so if available, I'd be all for drafting him.

Oh by the way, Snead is added.. And hopefully not to anyone's shock, I give him a 3rd round grade.

He is not 1st round nor 2nd round material in my eyes.

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Dude is like...best QB everz man.

Lyk I kno, dood! Snead kan taek us 2 da playofz in '10!

That was exceptionally painful to write. Ouch, ouch, ouch.

Now, more news to add, that I forgot. Virginia Tech DE Jason Worilds also is added now. I grade him as a 3rd rounder. Worilds is a high-motor, non-stop competing guy who will work OL to death out there. Stout and strong against the run, he could make a nice DE/OLB prospect for a 3-4 team.

Quote:
Virginia Tech junior defensive end Jason Worilds announced Thursday that he will forego his senior season and enter the NFL Draft. The Carteret, N.J., native was a two-time All-ACC performer who recorded 49 tackles this year, including 11.0 for loss and 4.5 sacks. He also had one forced fumble, one pass break up and a team-leading 32 quarterback hurries. “Jason is a very talented player, but is also a very smart player,” Tech head coach Frank Beamer said. “He has the toughness to be successful after playing through a shoulder injury last year. We wish him a long NFL career. He was great for Virginia Tech and we wish him the best in the NFL.” “This is a bittersweet day for me,” Worilds said. “The Hokie Nation has been great to me and my family, but it’s time to close this chapter in my life. This is a new and exciting part of my life and I’m excited to see what the future holds.” - Virginia tech football

http://www.hokiesports.com/football/recaps/20100107aaa.html

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 7, 2010 at 14:53:31 ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

Question: Is it me or is there really that many 1st round talents this year than in year's past? It seems like we may not even have to trade up from our 49-50th position in the second. It seems as though more underclassmen will declare including red-shirt sophs pushing the talent down.

The more the list grows, the more I see how good of a shape we're in to land a fantastic player in the 2nd as well as the 3rd rounds and beyond.

Now, granted there is still time for opinions to change with All-Star games still needing to take place as well as the combine. McCoy could drop to a second round grade for me with a bad game tonight.

My grades will most certainly move at least some for some players, but as it stands, there should be a 1st-round level player available to us in the 2nd and maybe even third round.

Just a thought...do you think Cody is an option is available in the second to us as opposed to a S, RS, CB, or other? Seems like a ROT, Iupati and Mt. Cody draft solidifies our trenches, but I think secondary will be addressed in the second with RS skills, huh? Just seems more feasible and more options at secondary for a great player.

Thanks again.

Are you flirting with the idea of bumping Goldson to SS and looking for a new FS?

Unless the right FS prospect is there, I do not want to move Goldson. I think from here he's only going to get better at FS and what we need is a SS complement to take over for M-Lew. Earl Thomas is an SS by the way, so if available, I'd be all for drafting him.

Oh by the way, Snead is added.. And hopefully not to anyone's shock, I give him a 3rd round grade.

Now, more news to add, that I forgot. Virginia Tech DE Jason Worilds also is added now. I grade him as a 3rd rounder. Worilds is a high-motor, non-stop competing guy who will work OL to death out there. Stout and strong against the run, he could make a nice DE/OLB prospect for a 3-4 team.

Quote:
Virginia Tech junior defensive end Jason Worilds announced Thursday that he will forego his senior season and enter the NFL Draft. The Carteret, N.J., native was a two-time All-ACC performer who recorded 49 tackles this year, including 11.0 for loss and 4.5 sacks. He also had one forced fumble, one pass break up and a team-leading 32 quarterback hurries. “Jason is a very talented player, but is also a very smart player,” Tech head coach Frank Beamer said. “He has the toughness to be successful after playing through a shoulder injury last year. We wish him a long NFL career. He was great for Virginia Tech and we wish him the best in the NFL.” “This is a bittersweet day for me,” Worilds said. “The Hokie Nation has been great to me and my family, but it’s time to close this chapter in my life. This is a new and exciting part of my life and I’m excited to see what the future holds.” - Virginia tech football

You do know that these tweeners that are so called ranked in R3 have an equal chance to go in rounds 4, 5, or even 6 lol. It's a crapshoot if they aren't the elite prospects.

I've seen guys like Brian Robison and Jay More ranked in R2 or R3, and they both went in R4.

Thanks again.

Quote:

You do know that these tweeners that are so called ranked in R3 have an equal chance to go in rounds 4, 5, or even 6 lol. It's a crapshoot if they aren't the elite prospects.

I've seen guys like Brian Robison and Jay More ranked in R2 or R3, and they both went in R4.

Like I mentioned in my initial post. The grades I hand out to players are NOT round projections. They are my talent-level grades attributed to each player.

For example, one of your favorite players, Eric Decker, is graded as a first rounder by me. However, I don't at all expect him to go there.

There's far too much time ahead between now and the draft to say where a guy like Worilds will go. The variance in that projection at this point is of little use -- Saying "He should go in rounds 3-5" doesn't really help, obviously. We can start cutting it down to a "30-pick area" after the combine, cutting the projections down to a solid "3rd" or "1st" or "Late 1st-Early 2nd," etc.

Thanks again.

Quote:

Worilds reminds me of a slightly bigger version of Parys Haralson when he came out of Tennessee...undersized, smart and tough college DE with a non-stop motor, great get-off from the LOS and enough athleticism to make the transistion to 3-4 OLB. If he runs well and shows good agility at the combine he could very well be a 3rd rounder...if not, he's a solid 4th-5th rounder worth developing.
Originally posted by GoFD74:

Thanks again.

Quote:

Worilds reminds me of a slightly bigger version of Parys Haralson when he came out of Tennessee...undersized, smart and tough college DE with a non-stop motor, great get-off from the LOS and enough athleticism to make the transistion to 3-4 OLB. If he runs well and shows good agility at the combine he could very well be a 3rd rounder...if not, he's a solid 4th-5th rounder worth developing.

Which seems more likely now with the team's apparent faith in/complacency with Ahmad Brooks.

There should be many outstanding 3-4 pass-rushers available next year, but we really need a star player now.
Central Michigan WR Antonio Brown has declared for the draft. A heck of a slot prospect who can return kicks. Grades out to a late 3rd rounder, by my observations, and should go around that late 3rd to late 4th round range depending on combine workouts.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=4806168

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 7, 2010 at 18:56:43 ]
Central Michigan WR Antonio Brown has declared for the draft. A heck of a slot prospect who can return kicks. Grades out to a late 3rd rounder, by my observations, and should go around that late 3rd to late 4th round range depending on combine workouts.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=4806168

This kid looked very good last nite!
McKnight and Demaryius Thomas both declare:

USC RB: http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/news/story?id=4808364

Georgia Tech WR: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=4808573
  • dman
  • Veteran

Yes!

McKnight is someone I think we should look at as a RB in the middle rounds.
Originally posted by dman:

Yes!

McKnight is someone I think we should look at as a RB in the middle rounds.

McKnight is interesting...though he hasn't done much punt returning since his freshman year, and has never done much kick returning while at USC. Still, it's pretty obvious that he has all the skills/speed/moves required to handle the job and could eventually develop into a very nice 3rd down back.

S Earl Thomas is entering the draft.... Canada has the news first. http://www.tsn.ca/ncaa/story/?id=305322
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
S Earl Thomas is entering the draft.... Canada has the news first. http://www.tsn.ca/ncaa/story/?id=305322

When is the deadline to back out of the draft??
Originally posted by Kolohe:

When is the deadline to back out of the draft??

By midnight on January 18th.
WR Carlton Mitchell Declares. Mitchell grades as a 3rd-4th rounder to me. He could've been much better without inconsistent QB play. I think he has an opportunity to be a very good player. Mitchell possesses an outstanding combination of size and speed 6-4 215 4.45 and will likely go in that 3rd round range.

Quote:
South Florida wide receiver Carlton Mitchell will enter the next NFL draft, a person close to the player said Friday. Mitchell, a 6-foot-4, 212 pound junior, had 40 catches for 706 yards and four touchdowns this season. Mitchell had previously said he had no plan to leave USF. USF fired football coach Jim Leavitt on Friday after a school investigation concluded he grabbed one of his players by the throat, slapped him in the face and then lied about it. - Joe Schad, ESPN
Originally posted by GoFD74:

Thanks again.

Quote:

Which seems more likely now with the team's apparent faith in/complacency with Ahmad Brooks.

There should be many outstanding 3-4 pass-rushers available next year, but we really need a star player now.

I really like Worilds game, he would be a nice fit on the Niners but not sure we really need another guy like him. I think we need an elite talent at that spot and not sure he is that guy.
Share 49ersWebzone