There are 153 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

OTC's Talent Tier Board

Originally posted by alburns:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Hey OTC, MadDog or any other draft guru's, how do you think OT Chris Scott from Tennesse will be in the NFL. He was part of an o-line in the SEC who passed alot & didn't give up very man sacks. Could he be a guy teams could grab in the 3rd round & plug in at RT from day one? Thanks for your responses ahead of time.

I love me some Chris Scott, but I think he moves inside in the NFL and has a solid career as a guard for teams with a power running attack. He'd look real nice in the scarlet and gold!

I agree fully. He looks like he can struggle at times with quicker defensive ends, and that could be trouble if you're trying to stick him at tackle. I, too, think his greatest chance for success stands at guard in the NFL.

looks like he had a rough day:

South Team: Bad Days
Tennessee OT Chris Scott -- We came into the week with questions about Scott's ability to handle speed off the edge and thought he might be a better fit at guard, but he failed to show the power necessary to move inside. At one point East Carolina DE C.J. Wilson delivered a strong punch, locked on to Scott's frame and controlled him from there. Later, Troy DE Brandon Lang threw a slap move at Scott and knocked him to the ground. Not only does that raise questions about his core strength it also shows that balance and footwork could be problems for Scott

Not good for Scott. We'll see what he can do come game-time, but if that's happening in-game, he's going to slide. He's been sitting on my board here as a late 4th round talent and hasn't moved up or down yet. Scott still has to workout at the combine as well.
Hey OTC, MadDog or any other draft guru's, how do you think OT Chris Scott from Tennesse will be in the NFL. He was part of an o-line in the SEC who passed alot & didn't give up very man sacks. Could he be a guy teams could grab in the 3rd round & plug in at RT from day one? Thanks for your responses ahead of time.

I love me some Chris Scott, but I think he moves inside in the NFL and has a solid career as a guard for teams with a power running attack. He'd look real nice in the scarlet and gold!

I agree fully. He looks like he can struggle at times with quicker defensive ends, and that could be trouble if you're trying to stick him at tackle. I, too, think his greatest chance for success stands at guard in the NFL.

Tennessee OT Chris Scott -- We came into the week with questions about Scott's ability to handle speed off the edge and thought he might be a better fit at guard, but he failed to show the power necessary to move inside. At one point East Carolina DE C.J. Wilson delivered a strong punch, locked on to Scott's frame and controlled him from there. Later, Troy DE Brandon Lang threw a slap move at Scott and knocked him to the ground. Not only does that raise questions about his core strength it also shows that balance and footwork could be problems for Scott

Not good for Scott. We'll see what he can do come game-time, but if that's happening in-game, he's going to slide. He's been sitting on my board here as a late 4th round talent and hasn't moved up or down yet. Scott still has to workout at the combine as well.

He'll be fine...once he gets his technique down as a guard and learns how to play with better leverage at that position, he'll be ok. I doubt teams will throw out years of quality SEC tape on this guy and just go with a few senior bowl practices.

At least, I hope they don't!

He'll be fine...once he gets his technique down as a guard and learns how to play with better leverage at that position, he'll be ok. I doubt teams will throw out years of quality SEC tape on this guy and just go with a few senior bowl practices.

Exactly -- Teams' GMs and Scouts say over and over again each year that one week of practice or one single game is absolutely not going to make or break a player. It's what they've done over a stretch of games, and especially in big games, that counts. There's so much more that goes into evaluating these guys, and while this week surely matters, it's not the final nor is it the biggest determinant of a player's value.

Exactly -- Teams' GMs and Scouts say over and over again each year that one week of practice or one single game is absolutely not going to make or break a player. It's what they've done over a stretch of games, and especially in big games, that counts. There's so much more that goes into evaluating these guys, and while this week surely matters, it's not the final nor is it the biggest determinant of a player's value.

Agree, he would be a nice pickup in the middle rounds
Another addition has been made to my fourth round talents.

DB Chris Cook of Virginia, and..

OG/C Jeff Byers. Byers has been working and performing exceptionally well at Center at the Senior Bowl, and if I recall, he has played the position at USC also. This greatly increases his value. I've bumped him from the 5th to the 4th, and with a good combine/pro-day, I may even move him into the 3rd.

Movers:

DE Austen Lane, down to 3rd -- Overpersuing, getting run out of plays.
OT Black down to 3rd
OT Capers down to 3rd

OT Calloway up to 2nd (late).
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 29, 2010 at 9:10 AM ]

OG/C Jeff Byers. Byers has been working and performing exceptionally well at Center at the Senior Bowl, and if I recall, he has played the position at USC also. This greatly increases his value. I've bumped him from the 5th to the 4th, and with a good combine/pro-day, I may even move him into the 3rd.

Movers:

OT Black down to 3rd
OT Capers down to 3rd

Hmmmmm...I was wondering if you were eventually moving Calloway to the second. I wouldn't be opposed drafting Iupati in the first and Calloway in the second as long one of the firsts was on a true playmaker on D or O!

What's your take on drafting Calloway in the second?
Originally posted by ninertico:

Movers:

OT Black down to 3rd
OT Capers down to 3rd

Hmmmmm...I was wondering if you were eventually moving Calloway to the second. I wouldn't be opposed drafting Iupati in the first and Calloway in the second as long one of the firsts was on a true playmaker on D or O!

What's your take on drafting Calloway in the second?

I don't know how I feel about that. I personally wouldn't care for the value, because I know for a fact that there will be more valuable players available there. So I guess you could say I am opposed to it, because I value him as a late 2nd, and our pick is in the middle.

Now the third is another story. If he's there, that presents a good value. I just hate to see us reach for players when there are so many available. And not just available, but available at positions of dire need for us.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 29, 2010 at 9:58 AM ]
OTC:
When does your board stop adjusting, after the combine? Do you have a pretty good feel for where everyone is at? What will the combine do to your board? Do you have a draft board, a OTC board, and a Niner board? I would have to assume that each one is different to some degree?

It would seem that BPA would favor our draft in the first three rounds this year. I can see many different ways the draft could unfold depending upon whom is there. So here are some odd questions. How do you think Scotty woud pick if D. Bryant, Spiller, D. Morgan, McClain, D. Williams were all on the board at 13? Do you think he would pick out of this group or out of the Bulaga, Graham, T. Williams, Price, Pierre-Paul, Iupati group? Is he strictly BPA or BPA within our need arena?
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
OTC:
When does your board stop adjusting, after the combine? Do you have a pretty good feel for where everyone is at? What will the combine do to your board? Do you have a draft board, a OTC board, and a Niner board? I would have to assume that each one is different to some degree?

It would seem that BPA would favor our draft in the first three rounds this year. I can see many different ways the draft could unfold depending upon whom is there. So here are some odd questions. How do you think Scotty woud pick if D. Bryant, Spiller, D. Morgan, McClain, D. Williams were all on the board at 13? Do you think he would pick out of this group or out of the Bulaga, Graham, T. Williams, Price, Pierre-Paul, Iupati group? Is he strictly BPA or BPA within our need arena?

Well my Draft board and Niner board are both really "OTC boards." The Niner one is a little more system specific. There may be players we could still draft, but for the Niner board, they may either not be there, or are ranked lower. I rank in order the most talented players that best fit our system. For example, smaller corners (5-8 or 5-9) are very unlikely to show up on my board.

I can't see Scot going after Bryant or D.Williams at 13. And possibly not Morgan either depending on how he fares in agility and speed drills (and what his weigh-in is) at the combine. I'd see Spiller, McClain, T.Williams and Iupati as the highest probabilities currently, among those you listed.

My boards will continue to shift slightly until the Combine and all Pro-Days are completed. Most players are pretty well locked in at this point. But there are a lot of players not in these all-star games that will have their stock rise and fall once workouts roll around. We'll see what happens.
So if Spiller, McClain were still available he would go after them? Is that because they fit the Niners systems better than other players?
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
So if Spiller, McClain were still available he would go after them? Is that because they fit the Niners systems better than other players?

I'm saying he could. And really not just because of a "system" fit, but because he'd likely have the argument that they may be the BPA there. But right now that's harder to determine with no combine workouts for these players yet.

I still want to see Iupati on this team somehow. Our hole along the OL is so gaping wide, everyone and their mother knows we need one. Iupati is arguably the best OL in the draft. If we land a top-notch playmaker along with him, I'll be satisfied.

We've got about 3 months to go.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A

This week makes a difference for players who were fringe players (i.e. late 1st/early 2nd, late 2nd/early 3rd, etc.), and players from smaller schools and conferences. It gives scouts a chance to see how they stack up against better players and that can make or break players.
any major movers going on OTC?
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
any major movers going on OTC?

Not many. But I'm about to edit.

Up:

RB McCluster to 2nd.
DT Cam Thomas up to 3rd.

Down:

DE Selvie down to 4th.
S H.Coleman down to 4th. Looked a bit stiff out there.

OC Ted Larsen was removed. (Bumped to 6th).
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 30, 2010 at 4:47 PM ]
I have added another player to my 4th-round talents.

OLB Sam Maxwell of Kentucky (6-3 248 4.68) is a player hugely under the radar, yet he is a great prospect. Probably a SAM backer in a 3-4, but he does fit best in a 4-3 system because his greatest strength is coverage.

Maxwell intercepted 6 passes this year and broke up a total of 13 passes. He added 2 FF, 5.5 TFL, and 1.5 sacks. Sam tore his labrum this year and had surgery to repair it after the season. He will, however, be at the combine -- or at least has been invited.

At 6-3 250 pounds and likely to clock in the high 4.6 to low 4.7 range, a team may take a chance in the 5th round and beyond. Maxwell was a leader on the Kentucky defense and is a very talented player. I would actually be pretty happy to land him here.