Not a member? Register Now!

OTC's Talent Tier Board

Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
FS Major Wright enters draft:
Quote:
Florida junior safety Major Wright told The Miami Herald on Monday that he will enter the 2010 NFL Draft and forgo his senior season of eligibility. "I'm going to the NFL,'' Wright said in a text message. A three-year starter at Florida, Wright was a mainstay for some of the best defenses in Florida football history. A devastating tackler since his days at St. Thomas Aquinas High School, Wright's most memorable hit of his college career came during the first quarter of the 2008 BCS national championship game on Oklahoma's first offensive series. - Joseph Goodman, The Miami Herald

Iowa CB Spievey declares: http://gazetteonline.com/blogs/on-iowa/2010/01/11/spievey-declares-nfl

FS Chad Jones enters NFL draft: http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2010/01/lsu_football_chad_jones_to_ent.html

All three have been added. Wrights grades out to an early 3rd to me. Spievey a late 3rd. Jones a 1st rounder.

What do you think of Chad Jones? I thought he was maybe too big to play FS, maybe he could play SS, but I don't know if we need a big safety like that since our main weakness is in coverage? With all these safeties flooding the draft though we might be able to wait untill the 2nd or 3rd to take one. I really like Major Wright's game from what I've seen.

With this huge influx, I think we could nab a total steal in Robert Johnson all the way in the middle of the 4th possible. Johnson is completely under the radar compared to these other names, but he's an outstanding playmaker.

Jones is a heck of a SS prospect. Much better than Mays is, in my opinion. Jones actually knows how to tackle. He's not going to time as well as Mays though, and that'll push him down. He still may go in the 1st though. I still think I like Reshad Jones a little better.

Wright has some of the same issues. He wasn't exceptionally productive, doesn't have the incredibly imposing physical stature, and likely won't time as well as many of the other safeties.

We better take advantage of this and don't act stupid with our "Oh gee, we can just pick up a steal of a 5th - 7th round" typical act and pick up some disgusting scrub pick like I fear Scot might. WE MUST DRAFT A SAFETY WITHIN OUR FIRST FIVE PICKS. Roman can't be coming back, Reggie Smith is oft-injured, and Lewis sustained THREE concussions last season. If Scot does not take care of that issue, he's an absolute moron considering this unbelievable influx of talent.

Don't get me wrong bro, I agree with you about the safeties 100%. Thanks

Sorry, I get all worked up sometimes.

But seriously. 15 Safeties grading to 1st-3rd round talents. That's an average of 5 per round. If Scot can't capitalize, I will be calling for his firing.

The players most feasible to land here that I'd love to see in a 49er uniform -- my top 5 -- are:

R. Jones
C. Jones
M. Burnett
M. Wright
R. Johnson
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Quote:
Florida junior safety Major Wright told The Miami Herald on Monday that he will enter the 2010 NFL Draft and forgo his senior season of eligibility. "I'm going to the NFL,'' Wright said in a text message. A three-year starter at Florida, Wright was a mainstay for some of the best defenses in Florida football history. A devastating tackler since his days at St. Thomas Aquinas High School, Wright's most memorable hit of his college career came during the first quarter of the 2008 BCS national championship game on Oklahoma's first offensive series. - Joseph Goodman, The Miami Herald

Iowa CB Spievey declares: http://gazetteonline.com/blogs/on-iowa/2010/01/11/spievey-declares-nfl

FS Chad Jones enters NFL draft: http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2010/01/lsu_football_chad_jones_to_ent.html

All three have been added. Wrights grades out to an early 3rd to me. Spievey a late 3rd. Jones a 1st rounder.

What do you think of Chad Jones? I thought he was maybe too big to play FS, maybe he could play SS, but I don't know if we need a big safety like that since our main weakness is in coverage? With all these safeties flooding the draft though we might be able to wait untill the 2nd or 3rd to take one. I really like Major Wright's game from what I've seen.

With this huge influx, I think we could nab a total steal in Robert Johnson all the way in the middle of the 4th possible. Johnson is completely under the radar compared to these other names, but he's an outstanding playmaker.

Jones is a heck of a SS prospect. Much better than Mays is, in my opinion. Jones actually knows how to tackle. He's not going to time as well as Mays though, and that'll push him down. He still may go in the 1st though. I still think I like Reshad Jones a little better.

Wright has some of the same issues. He wasn't exceptionally productive, doesn't have the incredibly imposing physical stature, and likely won't time as well as many of the other safeties.

We better take advantage of this and don't act stupid with our "Oh gee, we can just pick up a steal of a 5th - 7th round" typical act and pick up some disgusting scrub pick like I fear Scot might. WE MUST DRAFT A SAFETY WITHIN OUR FIRST FIVE PICKS. Roman can't be coming back, Reggie Smith is oft-injured, and Lewis sustained THREE concussions last season. If Scot does not take care of that issue, he's an absolute moron considering this unbelievable influx of talent.

But seriously. 15 Safeties grading to 1st-3rd round talents. That's an average of 5 per round. If Scot can't capitalize, I will be calling for his firing.

The players most feasible to land here that I'd love to see in a 49er uniform -- my top 5 -- are:

R. Jones
C. Jones
M. Burnett
M. Wright
R. Johnson

But we still have to wait to see if players back out of the draft too.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Quote:

R. Jones
C. Jones
M. Burnett
M. Wright
R. Johnson

But we still have to wait to see if players back out of the draft too.

They've got one week.
Quote:

R. Jones
C. Jones
M. Burnett
M. Wright
R. Johnson

Great job OTC! My choice is Robert Johnson. Would be very happy to get him in the 3rd or 4th round.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Quote:

R. Jones
C. Jones
M. Burnett
M. Wright
R. Johnson

Great job OTC! My choice is Robert Johnson. Would be very happy to get him in the 3rd or 4th round.

Appreciate it. If we land any of these, I'd be ecstatic. I forgot to add T.J. Ward, but he's right outside the realm just barely. I could definitely see the 49ers taking him.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 12, 2010 at 16:17:18 ]
Just realized I was missing a player. Syracuse WR Mike Williams. Although he grades to an early 2nd round talent to me, it'll be very hard to project where he'll actually go because of his sudden abandonment of his team this year, as well as other character issues.

Williams has loads of talent, so what he's able to do at the combine, and his ability to prove he's not a complete headcase (difficult task) will determine where he goes.

If Maurice Clarett can go in the 3rd, that's about the highest I'll peg Williams at this point.
OC Maurkice Pouncey declares: http://www.gatorzone.com/story.php?id=17220

OG Mike Pouncey stays.
DE/OLB prospect Kevin Basped of Nevada is declaring: http://www.rgj.com/article/20100114/SPORTS06/1140346/1018/SPORTS

Basped is basically a poor man's Manny Lawson, virtually identical in size, but perhaps not in talent. I grade Basped as a 4th rounder.
OTC, Rob Gronkowski declared, the Arizona TE.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

Added, thanks.

Fringe player I grade as an early 2nd. Back injuries are a scary ordeal.

Added, thanks.

Fringe player I grade as an early 2nd. Back injuries are a scary ordeal.

no prob.

and yeah, he has injury concerns, i have in the late 2nd-early 3rd area, might fall that far due to the injury concerns.
1 more declaree, Bame CB Kareem Jackson.

Murray and Sheppard staying at OU and LSU respectively.

Jackson added. He receives a 2nd round grade from me.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 15, 2010 at 16:13:39 ]

Jackson added. He receives a 2nd round grades from me.

Do you think he'd be a potential fit for us?
Hey OTC, who do you think would be the best fit at cornerback in the draft for the 49ers?