There are 177 users in the forums

Ryan Matthews Declares

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=4761924
Where do you guys see him going?
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

I have him pegged as a Late 2nd-Early 3rd round pick.
McShay said he's the 4th best RB in the draft so far.
I watched one game of Fresno's and he was just beastin it
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:

obviously my top 3 are Spiller, Dwyer and Best.

Then theres a log jam.

you got a few other underclassmen, like USC's Joe McKnight, Penn State's Evan Royster, West Virginia's Noel Devine, Oklahoma's DeMarco Murray, Stanford's Toby Gerhart

then some guys i like as late round guys.

Oregon's LaGarrette Blount
Oklahoma's Chris Brown
USC's Stafon Johnson
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

Then theres a log jam.

you got a few other underclassmen, like USC's Joe McKnight, Penn State's Evan Royster, West Virginia's Noel Devine, Oklahoma's DeMarco Murray, Stanford's Toby Gerhart

Oklahoma's Chris Brown
USC's Stafon Johnson

Spiller will be the first RB off the board for sure. I see best falling towards the 3rd round if he decides to come out due to his concussion. I am a huge Toby Gerhart fan, I grew up a stanford football fan even though I go to Oregon now... But he will be a stud in the NFL where ever or when ever he goes.

One guy to keep an eye on is Blount. Everyone knows about his punch but he did turn it around this year and is a great pro prospect. Hes got the speed and the strentgh and the vision. Averaged 10 yards a carry last year and had over 1000 yards! He should fall because of the crazy year he had but who ever decides to give him a shot won't regret it. As long as he keeps his head straight that is...

AB says 2nd-3rd, I'm going to tell you I disagree, and consider him a fringe 1st-2nd rounder.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

AB says 2nd-3rd, I'm going to tell you I disagree, and consider him a fringe 1st-2nd rounder.

I can see it OTC, if he has a great combine, and Best and Dwyer have bad or subpar ones, then Matthews becomes the 2nd best back behind Spiller.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Didn't you start this thread to keep track of declared players?

I'd say late 1st to mid 2nd round. I am biased to Fresno State players being an alumn, but this guy is actually very talented. Pretty good speed, great vision, and is slightly larger than some of the other speedy backs in the draft. Kind of a jack of all trades back that is solid in every major area but excels at little...not being a pure speed guy or power guy. Biggest knock on him is his injury history.

In any case he isn't what the niners need. He isn't too different from what they already have. Unless he fell into/past the third the niners have no business going after a back unless he's a great receiver, can handle some KR/PR, and can provide lightning to Gore's thunder.

I see. Thanks man. Unless it's Spiller I don't really want a RB but I'd be pretty happy with a guy like Joe McKnight or Chris Brown later in the draft.

I can see it OTC, if he has a great combine, and Best and Dwyer have bad or subpar ones, then Matthews becomes the 2nd best back behind Spiller.

If Best doesn't declare, Matthews stock gets an immediate boost. He may not go in the first, but I don't expect him to fall beyond the 2nd round.

As for our team, the only running backs I really want us to look at are speed backs. We lack a game-breaker to blow by defenses when they're tired, or to use in the screen game, or .. most obviously.. on returns.

Spiller, Deji Karim, Noel Divine (Junior), and to a small extent Brandon West and Joique Bell are the guys with that kind of ability to excel in both areas.

We may see other juniors or some unexpected risers pop up in the draft as well. (late-round/UDFA guys like Stephens-Howling pop up all the time) But we've got to find someone -- whether CB, RB, or WR who can do returns.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 21, 2009 at 11:36 PM ]

Then theres a log jam.

Oklahoma's Chris Brown
USC's Stafon Johnson

If Murray came out he'd be perfect for us. He had a bunch of catches out of the backfield this year and a few TDs. He played from the shotgun too. I have a bit of a hard time seeing him coming to the NFL though, with Brown not there next year he'll be the number 1 guy.
Share 49ersWebzone