LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 227 users in the forums

MadDog's Winter Solstice First Round Mock

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Sure. Williams is about 6'1 1/2", 330 pounds. He's a widebody. Pretty good strength as well.

now you're talking. been wanting this cat since last yr. I thought he was going to be there in the 3rd round. but damn mofo has leapfroggrd into the 1st.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Most sensible mock draft yet...

-9fA

no knock on MD but this same senerio has been projected by most everybodies mock I've seen as to what the 49ers would do. just Hayden with the 1A and T. Williams with 1B.
Originally posted by ezekiel40:
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by genz22:
How about Golden Tate in the 2nd....

Love the 1st round picks....

In the above draft scenario, the Niners still need help at the PR position. However, I'm not sure they will pick up a WR to fill that role. I'd expect a 4th rounder at CB/PR to fill that role.

I think the team need to look at safety and guard in the second and third rounds. Of course, what happens in free agency, and the decisions they have to make on Clements, Baas, Franklin, will be huge. Finally, I'm not sure what will happen with M. Lewis this offseason. He may call it quits, or give it a go one more year.

In other words, this team may have to replace five or even six starters in 2010, and the draft may be largely needs-based if players walk away, or are released.
Should be a highly interesting offseason with the uncapped year approaching.

MD, I know you've stayed away from the QB position for a while, but I just can't imagine that we completely pretend that this is not an issue anymore. Smith has not had a great game in his career. He's had a few good games, some more decent games, many bad games, and a ton of horrific games. He's thrown INTs in the last drive of the game when we've needed a TD, several times, and the one game we needed to win to stay alive in the hunt he comes out and has a terrible terrible game. THIS IS A QB LEAGUE!!! Manning, Rivers, Rodgers, Warner, McNaab, etc...these are the guys taking their teams to the playoffs! Not Smith, Campbell, Edwards etc.

You are right that this is a QB league. At the same time, Smith was splittling reps in training camp, was under a new OC (again) and was not the starter going into the season. The team is still trying to figure out an identity on offense, and I believe he will get every opportunity to be the man in 2010.

In addition, although Davis is not close to being ready, I think the Niners liked what they saw in preseason, and want to keep a close eye on his development. Davis could be the guy to step in midway through 2010 if Smith still struggles.

Smith simply has too much upside to abandon at this point, and none of the incoming QB's are going to be ready to play at a high level in 2010. In other words, I'd grade Smith well above the incoming class of QB's in 2010, so it wouldn't make sense to have that player sit. The team is close to making a serious run at the playoffs and beyond in 2010. They are just a few key players away.

Final note: Although Smith has been up and down this season, it is pretty obvious to see the progress, confidence. If the team can settle into a system this offseason, Smith presents the necessary tools (accuracy, arm strength, intelligence, etc.) to give the team the best chance to win. This team just needs to settle in.

I like your assessment of Smith. With an improved oline, the first time to have an offensive system already in place, and time to develop some continuity with his receivers will be a big big plus for A. Smith. Then we will be able to see what we actually have in Smith. At the same time Davis is getting a chance to settle into an offensive system and will be able to process how it works and get some more time to settle the plays. He has the physical skills and we will see if he can improve on his awareness. Looks good to me.

It will definitely be to the 49ers benefit to name Smith the QB in 2010. For Smith and possibly for Nate Davis. People are too impatient and want Davis out there now. I think there is more to gain by letting Davis sit and learn.

People have to realize that Davis would only be a senior this season, is coming from primarily a shotgun, spread offense, has a learning disability, and is on a team still in a state of transition. He'd be slaughtered out there.

Let the pup sit and learn, see if he picks up a feel for the pro game, and progresses. If so, we may have somebody to play or trade down the road. There is no rush. 2009 is now a time to discover who we are, what we want to do, and then use the offseason to cement our offensive philosophy.

MadDog, if we are going to cement our offensive philosophy in the offseason (prob geared to the spread), what would you think of taking Spiller in the 1st with Williams and getting a corner in the second or 3rd round. If we do decide to keep Clements at corner with Spencer, can't we afford to draft Spiller and a guy like TJ Ward or Nate Allen in the second and a CB in the 3rd to upgrade the secondary?

Do you believe Haden will be BPA over Spiller and as you said, "too good to pass up?" Do you think that Spiller is at all too good to pass up as well? My reasoning is that Spiller solves KR problem immediately which helps the field position game and can change the game on special teams, can come and split carries with Gore and extend his career, gives us more explosiveness in our new spread offense, AND he is a GREAT in pass-protection, something that kept Kory Sheets off the roster.

Last, does Haden grade out better than the Ohio State CB drafted at around #11 last year by the Saints?

I'd personally select Spiller over Haden, but I think the team will act differently. Both are ultra-talented players, but Spiller's speed is going to be a real problem for teams to contend with in the NFL. We saw firsthand yesterday how D. Jackson's speed destroyed us, and the league is witnessing Chris Johnson blowing past them every week. Speed kills.

If you have a burner on the field who is a threat to score every time he touches the ball, it completely changes the game for your team, and the opposition. Spiller is the single player in this draft who can score on every touch.

So, in my draft world, I'd pick up the top graded OT, Spiller, and then target the best player in the secondary and OG with my second and third rounders.

In other words, I have absolutely no problem with the Clements-Spencer duo as starters. However, we would need some help at some point with the nickle and dime corners. I've never been sold on Brown, and feel no differently after seeing him play extensively in 2009.

As for Haden graded with Jenkins (who went 14th to the Saints), they are two different animals. Haden is the better coverage man, Jenkins the better tackler, Jenkins the more versatile. It depends on what each team wants. Both are terrific players.

Final note: I see Allen as the better pure FS over Ward, who can play FS but is better suited at SS. Both good players, but I think we need a guy who has a great feel at the FS position, and Allen is really savvy in the back end.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Dec 21, 2009 at 12:42 PM ]
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Most sensible mock draft yet...

-9fA

no knock on MD but this same senerio has been projected by most everybodies mock I've seen as to what the 49ers would do. just Hayden with the 1A and T. Williams with 1B.

No knock felt. In many ways, this seems to be where the players will land, and the positions the team will target. I don't see any interest in the DL that will be available, nor the QB's, Bryant, etc. It really comes down to a handful of prospects, in my opinion, just like last year came down to Crabtree, Oher, Maybin, Orakpo.
If the draft plays out this way, some names to consider in the second and third round.

First, the aforementioned Asamoah, OG from Illinois, with a big upside. Second, Nate Allen, of South Florida, may not post eye-popping combine numbers, but is solidly steady.

The draft world is awaiting the return of Myron Rolle from Oxford, and will be looking to see how he appears at the combine and campus workout. Here is a guy who will probably be around in the third round, and you know you are getting a leader, the smartest guy on the football field, a disciplined athlete, and a superb locker room guy. In other words, if he can still run and hit well, he's the complete player. Rolle might end up the best bargain in the draft.

I have a feeling that Rolle might sneak into the 2nd round depending on combine numbers. Once they watch his tape over again he might creep up. Good mock overall. Vanilla but that's what I expect them to do also.
Originally posted by ezekiel40:
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:

In the above draft scenario, the Niners still need help at the PR position. However, I'm not sure they will pick up a WR to fill that role. I'd expect a 4th rounder at CB/PR to fill that role.

I think the team need to look at safety and guard in the second and third rounds. Of course, what happens in free agency, and the decisions they have to make on Clements, Baas, Franklin, will be huge. Finally, I'm not sure what will happen with M. Lewis this offseason. He may call it quits, or give it a go one more year.

In other words, this team may have to replace five or even six starters in 2010, and the draft may be largely needs-based if players walk away, or are released.

MD, I know you've stayed away from the QB position for a while, but I just can't imagine that we completely pretend that this is not an issue anymore. Smith has not had a great game in his career. He's had a few good games, some more decent games, many bad games, and a ton of horrific games. He's thrown INTs in the last drive of the game when we've needed a TD, several times, and the one game we needed to win to stay alive in the hunt he comes out and has a terrible terrible game. THIS IS A QB LEAGUE!!! Manning, Rivers, Rodgers, Warner, McNaab, etc...these are the guys taking their teams to the playoffs! Not Smith, Campbell, Edwards etc.

You are right that this is a QB league. At the same time, Smith was splittling reps in training camp, was under a new OC (again) and was not the starter going into the season. The team is still trying to figure out an identity on offense, and I believe he will get every opportunity to be the man in 2010.

In addition, although Davis is not close to being ready, I think the Niners liked what they saw in preseason, and want to keep a close eye on his development. Davis could be the guy to step in midway through 2010 if Smith still struggles.

Smith simply has too much upside to abandon at this point, and none of the incoming QB's are going to be ready to play at a high level in 2010. In other words, I'd grade Smith well above the incoming class of QB's in 2010, so it wouldn't make sense to have that player sit. The team is close to making a serious run at the playoffs and beyond in 2010. They are just a few key players away.

Final note: Although Smith has been up and down this season, it is pretty obvious to see the progress, confidence. If the team can settle into a system this offseason, Smith presents the necessary tools (accuracy, arm strength, intelligence, etc.) to give the team the best chance to win. This team just needs to settle in.

I like your assessment of Smith. With an improved oline, the first time to have an offensive system already in place, and time to develop some continuity with his receivers will be a big big plus for A. Smith. Then we will be able to see what we actually have in Smith. At the same time Davis is getting a chance to settle into an offensive system and will be able to process how it works and get some more time to settle the plays. He has the physical skills and we will see if he can improve on his awareness. Looks good to me.

It will definitely be to the 49ers benefit to name Smith the QB in 2010. For Smith and possibly for Nate Davis. People are too impatient and want Davis out there now. I think there is more to gain by letting Davis sit and learn.

People have to realize that Davis would only be a senior this season, is coming from primarily a shotgun, spread offense, has a learning disability, and is on a team still in a state of transition. He'd be slaughtered out there.

Let the pup sit and learn, see if he picks up a feel for the pro game, and progresses. If so, we may have somebody to play or trade down the road. There is no rush. 2009 is now a time to discover who we are, what we want to do, and then use the offseason to cement our offensive philosophy.

MadDog, if we are going to cement our offensive philosophy in the offseason (prob geared to the spread), what would you think of taking Spiller in the 1st with Williams and getting a corner in the second or 3rd round. If we do decide to keep Clements at corner with Spencer, can't we afford to draft Spiller and a guy like TJ Ward or Nate Allen in the second and a CB in the 3rd to upgrade the secondary?

Do you believe Haden will be BPA over Spiller and as you said, "too good to pass up?" Do you think that Spiller is at all too good to pass up as well? My reasoning is that Spiller solves KR problem immediately which helps the field position game and can change the game on special teams, can come and split carries with Gore and extend his career, gives us more explosiveness in our new spread offense, AND he is a GREAT in pass-protection, something that kept Kory Sheets off the roster.

Last, does Haden grade out better than the Ohio State CB drafted at around #11 last year by the Saints?

I'd personally select Spiller over Haden, but I think the team will act differently. Both are ultra-talented players, but Spiller's speed is going to be a real problem for teams to contend with in the NFL. We saw firsthand yesterday how D. Jackson's speed destroyed us, and the league is witnessing Chris Johnson blowing past them every week. Speed kills.

If you have a burner on the field who is a threat to score every time he touches the ball, it completely changes the game for your team, and the opposition. Spiller is the single player in this draft who can score on every touch.

So, in my draft world, I'd pick up the top graded OT, Spiller, and then target the best player in the secondary and OG with my second and third rounders.

In other words, I have absolutely no problem with the Clements-Spencer duo as starters. However, we would need some help at some point with the nickle and dime corners. I've never been sold on Brown, and feel no differently after seeing him play extensively in 2009.

As for Haden graded with Jenkins (who went 14th to the Saints), they are two different animals. Haden is the better coverage man, Jenkins the better tackler, Jenkins the more versatile. It depends on what each team wants. Both are terrific players.

Final note: I see Allen as the better pure FS over Ward, who can play FS but is better suited at SS. Both good players, but I think we need a guy who has a great feel at the FS position, and Allen is really savvy in the back end.

Do you think Allen will be available at our second round pick somewhere in the 40's? Spiller, RT, Allen would be nice, and maybe Lane in the third for some pass rush help.

There just doesn't seem like there is anyone else like Spiller in this draft.
Looks great to me. We need a RT and a guy who can cover so we get players we need.
Who's the first pass rusher? And where should he rank?
  • dj43

I agree completely with your QB assessment. Smith, given a full off-season in the same, or similar (if Raye is fired and Mike Johnson replaces him)system, will be more league-ready by the start of 2010 season than any rookie they draft or any FA that might be on the market. Also, Nate Davis, given the same kind of off-season development, might also be more ready to play next year if Smith were injured or otherwise sent to the curb.

The two main needs this team has, IMO, are 1. OT and 2. team speed.

The OT is obvious. As to team speed, they need it in the secondary, and at WR. Until/unless those needs are met, it will be very hard to get past the 9 win mark.

Also important will be how much money Franklin will be offered in FA. If he leaves, there is a need to fill. Same thing for Clements.

I like Spiller and an OT. Haden would be nice as well. In a perfect world I would take Spiller with the first of the #1s, then trade down with the second pick to get a late teen/early 20s OT. Don't know how that might play out but I just think that a burner on the outside would make Crabtree a much more effective piece of the offense.
Good job MD. I know ppl have posted similar picks for the niners, but always enjoy your input.

Quick question, if the Broncos do skip on McClain, what chances do we have on selecting him? I know it's not a need, but he could possibly be a younger and faster version of Spikes. With him in the middle, could let Willis move more freely, just like how Bart Scott did for Ray Lewis.

I just have a hard time seeing Denver letting him get past, especially with their developing defense, but do like the out-of-nowhere pick you have them for. Overall, if this is how it goes down for us, I wouldn't have a problem. I liked Haden since last year, and Williams will be a future highly touted RT.

Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
Good job MD. I know ppl have posted similar picks for the niners, but always enjoy your input.

Quick question, if the Broncos do skip on McClain, what chances do we have on selecting him? I know it's not a need, but he could possibly be a younger and faster version of Spikes. With him in the middle, could let Willis move more freely, just like how Bart Scott did for Ray Lewis.

I just have a hard time seeing Denver letting him get past, especially with their developing defense, but do like the out-of-nowhere pick you have them for. Overall, if this is how it goes down for us, I wouldn't have a problem. I liked Haden since last year, and Williams will be a future highly touted RT.

that's what I've been thinking of lately. I personally would not mind Joe Hayden with 1A and the BLACK John McClain with 1B. "Yippee ki-yay, motherfcukers!"
good writeup maddog. i think CB and OT would be great pickups, but where do you see a guy like CJ spiller going? After the success of guys like percy harvin and darren sproles it seems like he could be an option for us, but top 15 maybe too high. any scenario you see where we trade down and maybe pick him up later in the 1st, or do you consider him to be top 15?
Is there a Spiller, Haden option with a quality RT in the second round?

I like that option. Jason Fox OT from Miami will prob go in early to mid second round, and Ciron Black form LSU mid to late second maybe.

stupid option. Our biggest need is O-Line, there are some good ones to be had in 1st round, why pass that up.
Share 49ersWebzone