There are 174 users in the forums

Sam Bradford

I believe evaluating the available QBs is a must, since Alex has not yet definitively asserted himself as the starter of the future. The two most likely candidates to make an immediate (or close to it) impact, are Sam Bradford and Jimmy Clausen. Clausen, IMO, will go 1st overall, while Bradford may fall to the Carolina pick if their pick ends up higher than Buffalo's. Here is the possible scenario that can result in this:

-Stl: Clauseen
-TB: Don't need a QB
-Det: Don't need a QB
-Cle: May pass on a QB and take BPA...Berry?
-Oak: Will take the freak athlete, since none of the QBs have monster arms. Ryan Mullet maybe?
-KC: Too much money invested in current QB
-Was: This is clearly the best candidate for a QB, but there is something that tells me the Redskins sell the farm to get Kolb or another current QB. We know how this team fixes things, and it's usually not through the draft.
-CAR

Two unlikely things have to happen, which is that Washington passes on Bradford, and Buffalo wins another game to draft after Carolina.

So now the question. What do we do if he does fall to us? My belief is that Smith has not proven to be the guy of the future and thus we need to do something, because we're going to loose good players to injury, FA, age, etc over the next few years, and without getting a QB by then we'll be SOL and possibly waste all the talent we have now. Smith has not shown me that he can take a team on his back and win the game because of the QB play. The closest I've seen was his game vs. the Texans when we were far behind, and this is not a performance that has since been replicated at all. The W/L column is not in his favor. The career passer rating (or even this year's passer rating) are nothing to write home about, and his TD/Int ratio, while better than before, is still nothing special. Can we honestly say that Smith has been better than Kyle Orton, Jason Campbell, Trent Edwards, etc? I don't believe so. This is not me saying that I don't think it's possible for Smith to develop into a good QB, but right now it's not there, and can we really pass on a possible franchise QB to give Smith yet another season?

So the next question is, how good is Sam Bradford? I was never a big fan, but I'm reevaluating now, and thinking that perhaps I was too critical. Any thoughts on what people think of this prospect?
didn't the redskins just get a new GM ? maybe he'll the rational thinker for once and draft a quarterback
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Can we honestly say that Smith has been better than Kyle Orton, Jason Campbell, Trent Edwards, etc?

Jason Campbell and Trent Edwards? Absolutely. Kyle Orton? Maybe - Orton has played fairly well this year.

The fact is - Alex is playing pretty much at the level of an average NFL starting quarterback right now. And we have every reason to believe that he will improve. I think we should be more than satisfied with that going into 2010, especially given some of the holes we have on the rest of the team.

I get that everyone wants a Peyton Manning or a Tom Brady - but there are only two of those in the league.

Everyone gets enamored with rookie quarterbacks making an impact, especially after Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco. But right now - Alex is playing just as well as either of those guys.

Don't get me wrong - I like Bradford alot. But it just wouldn't make sense.

Bottom line is this - barring a breakdown of epic proportions, there should be no way the 49ers consider a QB with one of their first round picks. And I would be very upset if they did.
No
I saw a highlight video and it seemed like he would just throw short passes that the receivers took to the house or for crazy yac afterwards. How accurate is he downfield?
  • ptinerocket
  • Info N/A
alex can play well given enough time with protection.
There is 0 chance we take a QB in the first.
A couple of observations.. You forgot about the Seahawks.. They would, could have an interest in Bradford or Clausen for that matter..

IF we are in a position to draft one of the top QBs when our turn(s) roll around the phone may ring in the draft war room.

I don't see us drafting a QB this year.
With a 1st round pick?

-9fA
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:

I would not mind Colt McCoy with the second round pick.

Originally posted by 9erred:

I wouldn't mind that either, can't take a risk on a QB with a shoulder injury again and pay him millions in guaranteed but knowing McClueless anything is possible.
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:

I wouldn't mind that either, can't take a risk on a QB with a shoulder injury again and pay him millions in guaranteed but knowing McClueless anything is possible.

Oline so we can protect alex. either secondary or game changer. pass rusher before we see if are qb needs to be fixed.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

Oline so we can protect alex. either secondary or game changer. pass rusher before we see if are qb needs to be fixed.

I go back on what I said. This game changes everything.

(I posted this at half time btw)
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

I go back on what I said. This game changes everything.

(I posted this at half time btw)

I hope today opens people's eyes. The guy just isn't good! Sometimes he's not bad, at other times he's very bad. Is that really good enough?
After todays game I am back on the Bradford bandwagon should he be available. I think its clear Smith will never be a QB that is going to take us to the promised land.
Share 49ersWebzone