There are 164 users in the forums

Scout.com mock draft

Not a big Taylor Mays fan at all. I'd take OT or Spiller instead.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
If it plays out that way, I like the Haden pick, but we should take Spiller instead of Mays.

why

Because selecting Mays at that pick would be a reach. He would make Mark Roman look like a pro bowler

Selecting Spiller>Selecting Mays

okay i get why people dont like mays but im asking why draft spiller, and possibly piss off Frank gore by drafting a RB that high what kind of message does that send to Gore, im sorry but we have more pressing needs than drafting a backup to frank gore that high.

Well Mays may not be liked he would fill a need, who knows whats gonna happen with M Lewis especially with his concussion history.

Frank Gore cares about winning. He didn't care about Coffee getting drafted. With Spiller, it allows us to spread the field a little cus he can also play receiver. On top of that, he returns kicks which is something we are truly lacking right now. So when you look at it, Spiller does fill a major need.

On the Mays situation, it would really depend on what we planned to do with Nate. We draft Haden, he could possibly start with Spencer (who has been great this year). If Lewis decides to hang it up, Nate moving to safety wouldn't be a terrible move.

Btw, I like Spiller a lot, but I would really prefer Mike Iupati with that pick.

The niners drafted coffee to play when Gore needed a break, no reason for Gore to be mad at that, because them drafting coffee wasnt going to disrupt Gores playing time drafting a guy like Spiller will cut into that. like another poster said Gore is a rhythm back he needs to be on the field basically at all times, and he is very effective as well.

Gore is a great receiver he is our 2nd leading receiver this year and if im not mistaken has been 1 or 2 in Recs every year he has been a starter, so IMO drafting a KR that high is a reach.
If it plays out that way, I like the Haden pick, but we should take Spiller instead of Mays.

why

Because selecting Mays at that pick would be a reach. He would make Mark Roman look like a pro bowler

okay i get why people dont like mays but im asking why draft spiller, and possibly piss off Frank gore by drafting a RB that high what kind of message does that send to Gore, im sorry but we have more pressing needs than drafting a backup to frank gore that high.

Well Mays may not be liked he would fill a need, who knows whats gonna happen with M Lewis especially with his concussion history.

Frank Gore cares about winning. He didn't care about Coffee getting drafted. With Spiller, it allows us to spread the field a little cus he can also play receiver. On top of that, he returns kicks which is something we are truly lacking right now. So when you look at it, Spiller does fill a major need.

On the Mays situation, it would really depend on what we planned to do with Nate. We draft Haden, he could possibly start with Spencer (who has been great this year). If Lewis decides to hang it up, Nate moving to safety wouldn't be a terrible move.

Btw, I like Spiller a lot, but I would really prefer Mike Iupati with that pick.

The niners drafted coffee to play when Gore needed a break, no reason for Gore to be mad at that, because them drafting coffee wasnt going to disrupt Gores playing time drafting a guy like Spiller will cut into that. like another poster said Gore is a rhythm back he needs to be on the field basically at all times, and he is very effective as well.

Gore is a great receiver he is our 2nd leading receiver this year and if im not mistaken has been 1 or 2 in Recs every year he has been a starter, so IMO drafting a KR that high is a reach.

I did mention that Spiller could play receiver in the slot. He's spent a lot of time playing there while in college. He runs good routes, strong hands, and breakaway speed. Why can't you have both Spiller and Gore on the field? The more weapons for Alex Smith, the better.

But like I stated, I would prefer Iupati with that pick.
Just say NO to Taylor Mays

This for sure!
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
To me, all the clamoring for Spiller just seems like the same reasoning that was for drafting Reggie Bush.

-9fA

except that Spiller is faster...
every mock that has us drafting mays i stop and exit the pg. mays is f**king garbage pissed off is not even the feeling i'll have if we draft his ass he shouldnt even be in discussion getting drafted by the 9ers. we need PLAYMAKERS not taking bad angles, looking for big hits, combine warrior ss
not sold on mays. ideal first round would be haden and OT. then grab a safety in the second round.
I don't know why folks don't want a player that would solve 4 positions of need

KR, PR, slot WR, gun back

And not taking anything away from Gore but I don't care how he feels about the 49ers drafting another RB, this is a big boy league, not a tea party. I want Spiller with the thought that it would actually extend Gores career, not push him out of the offense.

Plus Gore isn't getting any younger.
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for BuZzB28.
Mays

But I like that a lot of mock drafts have us selecting Haden

I wonder, how good is haden? u know? the 49ers did pick the CB in the one round and since for 10 years somethings and really was busts!! So I prefer the 3 round through 6 rounds for CB that would best for the 49ers!!

1st round is CB

Originally posted by BuZzB28:
Mays

But I like that a lot of mock drafts have us selecting Haden

I wonder, how good is haden? u know? the 49ers did pick the CB in the one round and since for 10 years somethings and really was busts!! So I prefer the 3 round through 6 rounds for CB that would best for the 49ers!!

1st round is CB

RW? But then they also drafted Lott in the first round. Nothing magical about the round number
Originally posted by domesik:

And not taking anything away from Gore but I don't care how he feels about the 49ers drafting another RB, this is a big boy league, not a tea party. I want Spiller with the thought that it would actually extend Gores career, not push him out of the offense.

people are more focused on the glaring needs such as secondary and o-line because that has been the weak link on our team for the past few years. i agree because running back is one our strongest position and it wouldnt be smart to spend a 1st round pick on a player who will make his biggest impact on special teams. there will be other years when niners can draft a dynamic running back but very few when they can strengthen the team in one round.

why

If you don't think Gore is concerned about another back coming in and taking carries from him then you are in fantasy land. Of course he cares it what he does. Of course he's gonna say the correct thing to the press.
Originally posted by PickNo24toGB:
Originally posted by domesik:

people are more focused on the glaring needs such as secondary and o-line because that has been the weak link on our team for the past few years. i agree because running back is one our strongest position and it wouldnt be smart to spend a 1st round pick on a player who will make his biggest impact on special teams. there will be other years when niners can draft a dynamic running back but very few when they can strengthen the team in one round.

And if we were still running the Hill/Gore smashmouth offense then I would not want Spiller but focus on OL and the other areas of more pressing need. But if the 49ers are going to the spread/shotgun as their offense of the future then you need to load that offense up. And again, Spiller fills 4 positions, is a threat to score from all 4 of them.

Now OT I agree would need to be taken care of early. A T. Williams-CJ. Spiller first works for me. OG's don't need to be taken in the 1st and if Berry and Haden are gone then I'd rather go stud speed back then the 2nd-3rd best CB/FS.

How's this?

1a) T. Williams
1b) CJ Spiller
2) OG/FS/CB
3) FS/CB/OG
Originally posted by lamontb:

why

If you don't think Gore is concerned about another back coming in and taking carries from him then you are in fantasy land. Of course he cares it what he does. Of course he's gonna say the correct thing to the press.

I love Frank and I hope he stays a Niner for awhile, but we can't let his feelings and emotions get in the way of the team. I still think that Frank can be a 1000 yard rusher, but injuries are always a concern and having Coffee as our only alternate won't cut it.
Share 49ersWebzone