There are 269 users in the forums

My First Round Mock:

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
We DO NOT need a WR, especially with one of our 1st round picks.

this.

u guys gotta be insane if you actually think we'll take a WR with one of our first two picks.

Do we need to improve team speed ? Yes.

Do we need a vertical threat ? Yes.

Do we need a KR/PR ? Yes.

If we are going to run a spread style offense, do we need to improve the talent around Smith ? Yes.

Does Golden Tate possess these attribute ? Yes.

B-P-A. If Tate is there and is the BPA we'd better take him, it would be in our best interests.

Tell us, what is Tate's speed?
Has he ran a 40 yet?
How many good college WR's bust out in the pro's?
What is Tate's size?
What is his projected round?

You are thinking using a mid- high 1st round pick on this guy? Seriously?

WTF does his combine measurables have to do with his overall production so far in his career?

Does Tate play a physical style of football? Yes, he doesn't shy away from contact and isn't afraid to go over the middle.

Does Tate have good on-field speed? Yes, he gets great separation from defenders and can earn those crucial YAC.

I think a good comparison for Tate is Laveranues Coles. Sure he doesn't have prototypical measureables, but Coles was a very productive WR and has been very consistent.

I don't like him in the teens, but if available in the 20s via trade down, he'd be a solid pick.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by kronik:

this.

u guys gotta be insane if you actually think we'll take a WR with one of our first two picks.

If we are going to run a spread style offense, do we need to improve the talent around Smith ? Yes.

B-P-A. If Tate is there and is the BPA we'd better take him, it would be in our best interests.

Tell us, what is Tate's speed?
Has he ran a 40 yet?
How many good college WR's bust out in the pro's?
What is Tate's size?
What is his projected round?

You are thinking using a mid- high 1st round pick on this guy? Seriously?

WTF does his combine measurables have to do with his overall production so far in his career?

Does Tate play a physical style of football? Yes, he doesn't shy away from contact and isn't afraid to go over the middle.

Does Tate have good on-field speed? Yes, he gets great separation from defenders and can earn those crucial YAC.

I think a good comparison for Tate is Laveranues Coles. Sure he doesn't have prototypical measureables, but Coles was a very productive WR and has been very consistent.

I don't like him in the teens, but if available in the 20s via trade down, he'd be a solid pick.

A few of the so called experts and even Tate's former HC (Weis) have compared him to Carolina's Steve Smith which is a pretty fair comparison IMO.
Absolutely TERRIBLE second pick! The war is won in the trenches. We must get a high quality OTackle. If we can get a better LT than Staley then get him and move Staley to RT and we'll set Gore loose w/open lanes and give Smith time to connect w/ Crabs, VD and Morgan.
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
Originally posted by valrod33:
horrible 2nd pick
  • DaNiners
  • Info N/A
Golden Tate? what are you smoking? He is a late 1st round pick, not top 15.
Originally posted by genus49:
horrible 2nd pick

Terrible. At least Dez Bryant can be argued to be BPA if he's the pick. Tate? no thanks.

So your telling me at pick 18 Dez Bryant Will be there? We need a vertical threat and a dynamic KR/PR! Tate Reminds me of Percy Harvin with a runningback mentality at WR! He is a beast and would be a great pick...as the BPA.
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:
horrible 2nd pick

Terrible. At least Dez Bryant can be argued to be BPA if he's the pick. Tate? no thanks.

So your telling me at pick 18 Dez Bryant Will be there? We need a vertical threat and a dynamic KR/PR! Tate Reminds me of Percy Harvin with a runningback mentality at WR! He is a beast and would be a great pick...as the BPA.

Also, many draft sites rate him as the number 2 WR in the DRAFT. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=72032&draftyear=2011&genpos=WR
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Absolutely TERRIBLE second pick! The war is won in the trenches. We must get a high quality OTackle. If we can get a better LT than Staley then get him and move Staley to RT and we'll set Gore loose w/open lanes and give Smith time to connect w/ Crabs, VD and Morgan.

After all the problems with the line, the zone still ends up focusing in on the sexy picks and forgetting the O line.

If we don't cover the OT problem in the first (or, if we are really lucky, the second), we will end up with development prospects and some half crippled has been from FA. Which will mean that next season will bear a striking resemblance to this season.

It's the line!
Originally posted by 49ersfan80:

this.

Do we need better pass blocking at RT? Yes.

Do we need better run blocking at RT? Yes.

Is Adam Snyder the long-term answer at RT? No.

Will we draft an OT with a first round pick? Yes.

Do we need to draft a CB capable of improving the NFL's 26th ranked pass defense? Yes.

Is upgrading our pass defense at CB/S a greater need then upgrading at wide receiver? Yes.

Did we already use a first round pick on a WR last year? Yes.

Is that first round pick a bust? No.

Is WR as big a need as it was last year? No.

Did the Lions do well by constantly using first round picks on WRs? No.

Do we write off Jason Hill and Brandon Jones as non-contributers and incapable of providing a downfield passing threat? No.

Will we miss out on a good KR/PR by not using a first rounder on such a player? Was Devin Hester a first round pick.

Are we going to a spread style offense exclusively? No.

Do we need 10 WRs on our roster? No.

Word, homie
horrible 2nd pick

not even close. from all that i've seen and read from the guru's on here 49ers will be picking in the top 15 with both their picks. with that said golden tate is just a horrible pick. if you're that worried about kr/pr then you would have been better of going with C.J Spiller.

lol tate with our 2nd 1st pick. if we pick a wr it will be bryant but we wont go that way. only offensive weapon we'll take in the 1st is spiller
horrible 2nd pick

Golden Tate sounds like a Heyward-Bey Al Davis type reach to me. Bryant would be the guy if were taking a receiver (highly doubt it). i think were getting an offensive tackle and a random playmaker who can return kicks and punts like spiller, javid best, or a corner who can return too. the only WR i would take that early in the 1st is bryant. and in the second round we get that safety from oregon, i forget his name. this is a very important draft for us and we cant afford to make raideresque mistakes.
Eh I like Tate as a player but we REALLY need a RT or an OG. It depends on what we do in FA I guess.
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
horrible 2nd pick

not even close. from all that i've seen and read from the guru's on here 49ers will be picking in the top 15 with both their picks. with that said golden tate is just a horrible pick. if you're that worried about kr/pr then you would have been better of going with C.J Spiller.

As much as I don't agree with the Tate pick (we'd benefit a deep threat-type more), it might not be out of the realm of possibility. Here are my three reasons:

1. His mock states that we fix the OL in FA, so can wait until the second round to get depth on the OL. Also, Okung will not be on the board, and if Williams/Davis don't measure out, our draft pick would be too high for Iupati.

2. CJ Spiller may not be available. Also, if we pick up Bush in the offseason, no need for spiller.

3. As good as Bryant has been, he has a lot of character questions. Not to mention, until we see them both at combine and personal workout days, may not be able to fully evaluate either.

tate wouldn't be horrible, but I wouldn't use our 1st rounder on him. Rather trade back and pick up Iupati or OLB (Hughes, Hardy, etc.)
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
horrible 2nd pick

As much as I don't agree with the Tate pick (we'd benefit a deep threat-type more), it might not be out of the realm of possibility. Here are my three reasons:

1. His mock states that we fix the OL in FA, so can wait until the second round to get depth on the OL. Also, Okung will not be on the board, and if Williams/Davis don't measure out, our draft pick would be too high for Iupati.

2. CJ Spiller may not be available. Also, if we pick up Bush in the offseason, no need for spiller.

3. As good as Bryant has been, he has a lot of character questions. Not to mention, until we see them both at combine and personal workout days, may not be able to fully evaluate either.

tate wouldn't be horrible, but I wouldn't use our 1st rounder on him. Rather trade back and pick up Iupati or OLB (Hughes, Hardy, etc.)

Everyone is here bashing the idea of using the pick on a sexy pick and not a Oline man but overlook the fact that i stated with sign a good/stellar OL in the offseason. WHere we can afford to take the BPA/Sexy pick. You guys are extremely overlooking Golden Tate. Extremely.
Share 49ersWebzone