There are 248 users in the forums

Expect a trade on draft day

As we are all well aware, Scot McCloughan isn't afraid to trade away our draft picks, whether it is to move up or move down.

Personally, I think we'll end up trading down in the 1st round, picking up a couple extra mid round picks as well.
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
As we are all well aware, Scot McCloughan isn't afraid to trade away our draft picks, whether it is to move up or move down.

Personally, I think we'll end up trading down in the 1st round, picking up a couple extra mid round picks as well.

I kinda hope you're right.
i have a feeling this would happen and i will be heated
i would like that cuz we would still get 2 first round picks and prob another 2nd, we could still get haden and say an ot in the first round, then get our pass rusher and bpa or guard in the 2nd
  • jaghetersofie
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:

I kinda hope you're right.

+1
Originally posted by 228niner:
i would like that cuz we would still get 2 first round picks and prob another 2nd, we could still get haden and say an ot in the first round, then get our pass rusher and bpa or guard in the 2nd

I'm always for trading down and picking up more picks. trade with them Patriots and get 1 of their 3 second rounders. move down a bit and still pick up someone whom might be able to contribute from the get go.
I can possibly see a trade up for someone like Berry or Okung, but really can't see us trading back and stockpiling picks. If the new CBA doesn't get done and some of our vets are only RFAs (like Baas), that will leave us with very few starting jobs open next year.

Even more so, if we tag Franklin and re-sign guys like Spikes, Bly and Sims (and none would be overly expensive), and keep Clements (which is EXTREMELY likely) we'll have pretty good depth in most areas. And that's if we don't sign any outside free agents.

At that point, RT would be the only clearly open position, with depth really needed at ILB, safety, 5th WR (special teams) and maybe OLB. The rest seem to be more luxury picks.

QB depth: Smith, Davis, Hill
RB/FB depth: Gore, Coffee, Robinson, Norris, Miller
WR depth: Crabtree, Morgan, Jones, Hill (1 more needed)
C/OG depth: Heitmann, Wallace, Rachal, Baas, Wragge (1 more needed to eventually replace Baas)
OT depth: Staley, Snyder, Sims, Boone (RT starter needed)
TE depth: Davis, Walker, Finley

D-line depth: Franklin, JSmith, McDonald, Balmer, Sopoaga, RJF, Mitchell
OLB depth: Lawson, Haralson, Brooks, Briggs (1 more needed for competition)
ILB depth: Willis, Spikes, McKillop (1 more needed)
CB depth: Clements, Spencer, Brown, Bly, Hudson (1 more needed for competition)
Safety depth: Goldson, Lewis, RSmith, Taylor (possible starting SS needed)

So we probably have 7 roster spots open with realistically only 1 starting role available (RT) and maybe a starting SS (though a rookie isn't likely to start over Lewis)...and right now, we already have 8 picks (and possibly 1-2 more with comp picks).

In other words, I don't see us stockpiling picks and filling our roster with warm bodies like we had to in the past.

[ Edited by GoFD74 on Dec 17, 2009 at 18:04:47 ]
This is going to be a deep draft so I would have no problem if that happens though you can be sure a lot of teams will be wanting to trade down
  • ptinerocket
  • Info N/A
we need talent not depth, so I really expect us to trade up rather than down

I know what I said might be unclear, let me re-iterate what I mean

When Nolan and McCloughan took over the team, they were looking at a team with no quality super stars and depleted of talent and other players who simply did not fit with Nolan's 3-4 fantasy defensive scheme(ie. andre carter/ Julian Peterson)

we had 11 picks first time nolan drafted

then 9 picks the year after and the year after that

that's when we realized we could win, so then we changed our draft mentality to BPA since we have decent depth and talent at each position

so it became just normal 7 picks in 08

and 7 picks in 09

what I'm saying is we don't need a ton of new blood to replace a depleted and old roster anymore, we have a group of talented stars. We just need a few bright spots to bring us over the hill( players like berry, suh, okung... top talents)

which is why I see us trading up rather than down.
We need enough picks to get the job done. We clearly need ROT. An OG would be helpful. We definitely need a kick returner/punt returner. We could use another pass rusher for competition. Then CB, FS/SS, ILB. So that is 7 picks for starters and starting depth. So if Mc Can get the players we need and trade back and give us a few more picks and we get all of the players we need, I am all for it. If the players we need are facing us in the draft then pick them and get it done.

I guess it will come down to how Scott and the scouting department has their board stacked. To your point though, Scott has demonstrated time and again that he is willing to make a move. So we shouldn't be surprised if there were a traded either leading up to or during the draft.

I love draft season..
Originally posted by GoFD74:
I can possibly see a trade up for someone like Berry or Okung, but really can't see us trading back and stockpiling picks. If the new CBA doesn't get done and some of our vets are only RFAs (like Baas), that will leave us with very few starting jobs open next year.

Even more so, if we tag Franklin and re-sign guys like Spikes, Bly and Sims (and none would be overly expensive), and keep Clements (which is EXTREMELY likely) we'll have pretty good depth in most areas. And that's if we don't sign any outside free agents.

At that point, RT would be the only clearly open position, with depth really needed at ILB, safety, 5th WR (special teams) and maybe OLB. The rest seem to be more luxury picks.

C/OG depth: Heitmann, Wallace, Rachal, Baas, Wragge (1 more needed to eventually replace Baas)

So we probably have 7 roster spots open with realistically only 1 starting role available (RT) and maybe a starting SS (though a rookie isn't likely to start over Lewis)...and right now, we already have 8 picks (and possibly 1-2 more with comp picks).

In other words, I don't see us stockpiling picks and filling our roster with warm bodies like we had to in the past.

It's about updating over the "Depth" guys. Not just being satisfied with what we've got. We want improvement. Weed out the underperformers or those who don't get on the field. Guys like RJF and Mitchell can still develop on the PS, at the very least.

But key upgrades and players that must be attained are:

S, OG, OT, CB, WR, ILB, OLB, DL - That's 8 picks. Exactly how many we currently have. Adding in a RB would be a luxury. But I bet you Coffee improves by leaps and bounds in his second year. I like how we're using him a little bit more as a 3rd-down back now. He seems to be getting better at blocking too. With time, Coffee will be starter-material.

Note: (One or both of those CB or WR should be a returner). I hope we draft similarly to what I've written there above.
I expect the 49ers to do some trading on draft day. I just hope it is to move up or down to get the playmakers we need for this team.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by GoFD74:

It's about updating over the "Depth" guys. Not just being satisfied with what we've got. We want improvement. Weed out the underperformers or those who don't get on the field. Guys like RJF and Mitchell can still develop on the PS, at the very least.

But key upgrades and players that must be attained are:

S, OG, OT, CB, WR, ILB, OLB, DL - That's 8 picks. Exactly how many we currently have. Adding in a RB would be a luxury. But I bet you Coffee improves by leaps and bounds in his second year. I like how we're using him a little bit more as a 3rd-down back now. He seems to be getting better at blocking too. With time, Coffee will be starter-material.

Note: (One or both of those CB or WR should be a returner). I hope we draft similarly to what I've written there above.

I think you misunderstood my post. I wasn't saying we shouldn't upgrade our depth...I mean, every year, you're either getting better or you're getting worse so that wasn't my point at all. And the best way to get better is to have competition.

It was more a commentary about stockpiling picks. I think we're in a position now that we have decent depth and we can use those 8 picks (or maybe more if we get comps) to add to the roster instead of moving back because we just need extra warm bodies (as was the case in the past).

IMO, it's now more about adding quality and not quantity.
Originally posted by 228niner:

this
Share 49ersWebzone