LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 139 users in the forums

Does a 'BPA Draft' Indicate a Bright Future?

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by nickbradley:

It seems to me that a BPA Draft is a good indicator that a team is on the ascencion. Without any glaring holes, a team is free to take the best player on the board and improve the overall team's performance.

I think we're going to have a BPA draft. Our O-line has been playing a lot better, and if we sign a RT in FA, we will be totally free to go BPA with our first three picks. If we sign a FA corner and move Nate to Safety, we are REALLY REALLY set for a great BPA draft.

Imagine taking Rolando McClain with Carolina's pick and then stealing Dez Bryant or CJ Spiller with our other first rounder.

With our second rounder, we can choose between OT Trent Williams, WR Golden Tate (If we don't take Dez or CJ), G Mike Iupati, DE/OLB Carlos Dunlap, or even Brandon Spikes if he falls (and we didn't take McClain).

This will be a great draft, but it will be a historic draft if we plug our 1-2 moderate holes in FA first.

Williams is a 1st rounder, Tate could be a 1st rounder, Dunlap is a 1st rounder, Spikes should be a 1st rounder.

Clements will stay at CB, the idea of moving him to FS is a webzone idea only.

Regarding the O Line...we need a RT and LOG. If we can sign two great FA's to fill those needs fantastic. But realistically getting just 1 will be what hopefully happens.

Williams -- I've been seeing a lot more mocks with him in the second round, such as Walter Football.

Tate -- Will probably end up a second rounder

Dunlap -- dropping like a stone. 2nd rounder, maybe even 3rd (like Michael Johnson did last year).

Spikes -- Walter Football has him in the 2nd like Rey Maualuga.

Clements - They say a corner with all the tools other than elite speed makes a great safety (Lott, Woodson). And I believe Len Pasquarelli from ESPN reported it was going to happen.

Yes -- one FA is good, but two is great.

Rule 1 on Walter Football....don't trust everything you read.

Williams -- I've been seeing a lot more mocks with him in the second round, such as Walter Football.
2009 WALTER CAMP FIRST TEAM ALL-AMERICAN
He will go in the first round

2009 BILETNIKOFF AWARD WINNER
Could slip to the 2nd round but is a 1st round talent

Dunlap -- dropping like a stone. 2nd rounder, maybe even 3rd (like Michael Johnson did last year).
2009 AP ALL-SEC FIRST TEAM
Johnson fell because people questioned his heart and motor, Dunlap does not have that problem. Dunlap made a very stupid mistake so its more of a character concern at this point. Once the combine comes around and he posts great numbers he will be into the 1st no questions asked.

2009 ALL-SEC FIRST TEAM (COACHES)
In a year when the ILB class is VERY weak Spikes is the #2 ILB behind McClain. Spikes should post good numbers in the combine as well and comes from good bloodlines. Spikes could fall but I expect him to be a mid to late 1st round pick pretty easily.

Clements has said he is a CB and that's where he wants to play. I think we would trade/release him before we switch him to FS.

In the future go HERE for prospect ratings and projected draft placement.

Sorry.. but any site that has Taylor Mays as the 3rd best prospect in the draft has little credibility as far as I'm concerned.

3rd best prospect for Seniors, and draft scout is one of the best sites available.

Thats your opinion and thats great. I just dont think its good at all.

OK.. Seniors then. Taylor Mays 3rd and ahead of Spiller? Uh.. NO. He also has McCoy 11th and Tebow 13th ahead of players like Iupati, Gilyard, and Hughes. Are they going by college fame or real NFL potential? Just ridiculous ratings.

Finally... they have the Niners selecting Ricky Sapp in rd 1. Really???????

I said for prospect ratings and projected draft placement. I never said anything about their mocks, did I? Without knowing all juniors that declare any mock is not going to be very correct.

Considering Tebow will most likely go in the first and McCoy could as well what's wrong with that? Gilyard will be a late 1st round pick or early 2nd, 22 is pretty accurate at this point. Iupati at 17 is fitting for a OG. I never said they were 100% perfect but they are usually more accurate then everybody else. If you're happy with WalterFootball please keep going to them, if you feel they are the most accurate site then use them.

Why don't you post your top 32 seniors since your knowledge is far supreme.

[ Edited by jreff22 on Dec 16, 2009 at 12:19:06 ]

It seems to me that a BPA Draft is a good indicator that a team is on the ascencion. Without any glaring holes, a team is free to take the best player on the board and improve the overall team's performance.

I think we're going to have a BPA draft. Our O-line has been playing a lot better, and if we sign a RT in FA, we will be totally free to go BPA with our first three picks. If we sign a FA corner and move Nate to Safety, we are REALLY REALLY set for a great BPA draft.

Imagine taking Rolando McClain with Carolina's pick and then stealing Dez Bryant or CJ Spiller with our other first rounder.

With our second rounder, we can choose between OT Trent Williams, WR Golden Tate (If we don't take Dez or CJ), G Mike Iupati, DE/OLB Carlos Dunlap, or even Brandon Spikes if he falls (and we didn't take McClain).

This will be a great draft, but it will be a historic draft if we plug our 1-2 moderate holes in FA first.

Williams is a 1st rounder, Tate could be a 1st rounder, Dunlap is a 1st rounder, Spikes should be a 1st rounder.

Regarding the O Line...we need a RT and LOG. If we can sign two great FA's to fill those needs fantastic. But realistically getting just 1 will be what hopefully happens.

Clements - They say a corner with all the tools other than elite speed makes a great safety (Lott, Woodson). And I believe Len Pasquarelli from ESPN reported it was going to happen.

Johnson fell because people questioned his heart and motor, Dunlap does not have that problem. Dunlap made a very stupid mistake so its more of a character concern at this point. Once the combine comes around and he posts great numbers he will be into the 1st no questions asked.

In a year when the ILB class is VERY weak Spikes is the #2 ILB behind McClain. Spikes should post good numbers in the combine as well and comes from good bloodlines. Spikes could fall but I expect him to be a mid to late 1st round pick pretty easily.

Clements has said he is a CB and that's where he wants to play. I think we would trade/release him before we switch him to FS.

Sorry.. but any site that has Taylor Mays as the 3rd best prospect in the draft has little credibility as far as I'm concerned.

3rd best prospect for Seniors, and draft scout is one of the best sites available.

OK.. Seniors then. Taylor Mays 3rd and ahead of Spiller? Uh.. NO. He also has McCoy 11th and Tebow 13th ahead of players like Iupati, Gilyard, and Hughes. Are they going by college fame or real NFL potential? Just ridiculous ratings.

I said for prospect ratings and projected draft placement. I never said anything about their mocks, did I? Without knowing all juniors that declare any mock is not going to be very correct.

Considering Tebow will most likely go in the first and McCoy could as well what's wrong with that? Gilyard will be a late 1st round pick or early 2nd, 22 is pretty accurate at this point. Iupati at 17 is fitting for a OG. I never said they were 100% perfect but they are usually more accurate then everybody else. If you're happy with WalterFootball please keep going to them, if you feel they are the most accurate site then use them.

LOL.. You rip Walter Football and then dont like it if someone questions the site that you think is so great. None of them are perfect but I happen to think that there are some glaring question marks with their rankings. Sorry if that upsets you so.
Originally posted by dman:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by bigwads:
If Brooks works out, all we "need" still is a RT. If we can fix that issue then yes...it is BPA the rest of the way.

As of right now pass rushing OLB is still a position of need. Probaly won't know if Brooks works out til the end of next year. and even if he does it's better to have more than one OLB than can pass rush consistently.

Can somebody please explain this Nate at FS theory? Should we move Gore to FB? Also

I dont like it either ... it has worked for others in the past but they were better players than Nate ... hes a corner and hes still solid .. no need to change things.

We should still draft a corner for depth but Nate, Spencer, Brown is not bad to start with.

Nate could make a fine FS. Better than Goldson? I'm not sure. I have my doubts.

The thing I can't get past is Nate's glaring weakness against covering the deep ball. If we were to slide Goldson over to SS and draft another CB early, then I would be alright with the move. IMO, those two would make a fine pair of safeties and the best duo we've had in a long time.

I doubt Clements is very excited about the idea of sliding to FS. Plus, with his contract, he'd be a very pricey experiment, especially when veteran FSs come at a fraction of the price.

LOL.. You rip Walter Football and then dont like it if someone questions the site that you think is so great. None of them are perfect but I happen to think that there are some glaring question marks with their rankings. Sorry if that upsets you so.

So you think Walterfootball is more accurate? If so go through their mocks and you will find utter bulls**t.

[ Edited by jreff22 on Dec 16, 2009 at 13:15:56 ]
Originally posted by bigwads:
If Brooks works out, all we "need" still is a RT. If we can fix that issue then yes...it is BPA the rest of the way.

We gotta get a young, fast corner somewhere too, don't we? We're getting pretty old at that position. Great draft but not a great year for corners. We're going to need an ILB pretty soon too. And...hate to say it...a RB. Not this year though.

So you think Walterfootball is more accurate? If so go through their mocks and you will find utter bulls**t.

I never said that Walter was the end all of draft sites. However, when I see the CBS site and is has Taylor Mays being picked 6th, Ricky Sapp 10th, and Golden Tate 14th and all ahead of Gerald McCoy I have to seriously question them. TO me the mock draft that Chad Reuter has up is really really bad.

wtf spikes is a 2nd ?! why not draft him in the 2nd and replace TKO whenever he leaves
  • dj43
The recent emergence of Brooks as a pressure guy from the outside, along with the surprisingly good play of Barry Sims, could have some impact on the draft if they continue to play at the recent level.

That being said, the 49ers absolutely will use one of the 1st round picks on OT. Even a healthy Tony Pashos is not a long-term solution at ROT. The second pick will still likely be an OLB or safety. As high as both of those picks appear to be, they will be able to fill a major need area with each of them. Sims was never viewed as more than a stop gap but he now looks like dedent backup insurance on both ends of the line, thus allowing a later OL depth pick to be turned into a BPA pick.

After that, BPA could come into play. The team certainly has more options now than it appeared 6 weeks ago.

Nick,

Honestly, I think Walters is about the least creditable popular source on the web. They are simply not very good at what they do, and they don't seem to be getting better over time.

You can pretty much lock Williams into the first round. Unless he has a major character flaw, becomes injured in the offseason workouts, he's far too good at run blocking, and efficient enough at pass blocking, to be as close to a first round lock as possible. Andre Smith showed that even if you try to stink in the offseason, you still create a ton of interest if you are a big, athletic OT.

OT's are such a premium position that teams tend to reach for them. And, Williams is considered one of the top guys in the draft at OT, whether some grade him the second, third, fourth, or even fifth best. He's going to go fairly early.

The one added bonus Williams adds to the draft which may separate him from nearly every other top-graded OT is his size. Outside of Anthony Davis, the bulk of the top graded guys are in the 300-310 pound area. Williams is the bigger 320-325 pound type OT that many teams like to have on their team, especially if they envision him starting out as a RT in the NFL.
-----------------------------------------------------
As to your topic at hand, the Niners are surely going to look at OT with one of their two first rounders. They have taken their fair share of risks, with injured free agents, retreads, and late round/FA types. I can't see them sitting on the board in the second round, hoping to pick up a third tier OT. Especially since they had such a profound interest in Michael Oher last year.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Dec 16, 2009 at 17:57:09 ]
I would like to be able to get Trent Williams or Anthony Davis in the 1st round.

Share 49ersWebzone