LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 305 users in the forums

Name to Know: Joique Bell, The Best DII Player in the Nation

As I was compiling my next mock, writing up the report on Joique Bell, I figured I'd share this information with you now rather than make you all wait to read it in the next mock. So without further adue, here's the write-up.

Joique Bell-RB/KR-Wayne State, 5-11 224 4.54

Get ready, I'm going to tell you a lot about this kid. A small schooler, absolutely, but likely the best DII prospect in the nation. We should absolutely give Bell a shot if he's available late. Spending the pick on him is extremely low risk, but the reward could be astronomical. Bell, a two-time 2000 yard rusher, has won multiple awards with all-regional, multiple 1st team all-conference, and multiple AFCA All-American honors among others. This year he tacks on yet another award, winning the Harlon Hill Trophy, which goes to the nation's best DII player -- and he certainly deserved it. He's been selected to play in the Texas vs. Nation all star game and if he stars there his stock may jump up a little. With the numbers he has put up, he will most certainly be drafted. Oh and by the way, he has KR/PR experience. Bell has been unbelievably good, garnering attention everywhere. Few DII prospects are as popular on YouTube. And from ESPN to Youtube, you'll find much on Joique Bell. There are a lot of guys out there who make it big in the NFL, despite going late or undrafted -- just look at Pierre Thomas, who has made Reggie Bush expendable. Clips for Bell here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGNMt1ZzJ3Q - Highlights.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHQ4EvRrGX4 - ESPN Coverage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cOboBsqTvY&feature=related - More footage.

What are his numbers? See them below, for all of his seasons.

2009: 2084 rush yards and 29 TDs. 293 receiving yards, 3 TDs.
2008: 1152 rush yards and 12 TDs. 226 receiving yards, 1 TD.
2007: 1427 rush yards and 25 TDs. 230 receiving yards, 3 TDs.
2006: 2065 rush yards and 22 TDs. 169 receiving yards, 1 TD. -- As a redshirt freshman, that's amazing.

Ladies and gents, someone is going to get a heck of a player this April when they draft Bell.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 11, 2009 at 23:18:57 ]
Great find OTC!
What was happening in 2008? Was he hurt or was the team worse?
Originally posted by saj4423:
What was happening in 2008? Was he hurt or was the team worse?

Probably the team, and him just having a down year. Clearly a fluke year since he bounced back with his best season yet, even surpassing his freshman numbers. 2000+ yards and 29 TDs is insane at any level.
Thanks again for the excellent post!
good post and find when do u think he will go ?
It's really hard to say with these guys. Just making a tentative projection right now, I'm going to say somewhere around the 6th, but I think he has a good chance of moving up.
Impressive but lets face it...this team won't take a chance on the guy.
when he runs down the guy on the return....holy crap..
Originally posted by drake49er:

You never know.

The three things I see that lead me to believe he could actually be a successful NFL running back:

1. Insane athleticism -- hurdling defenders, pinballing off guys, excellent moves in the open field.
2. Excellent vision and explosion. Sees the hole and goes to it.
3. He does not get run down, he runs away from guys.

What it will come down to is if he can pass protect, that's how he will get time as a full time back or 3rd down back. If not he may only have a future as a punt or kick returner because a small time guy isn't going to catch the coaches eye if he isn't good at all the small things.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

You never know.

The three things I see that lead me to believe he could actually be a successful NFL running back:

1. Insane athleticism -- hurdling defenders, pinballing off guys, excellent moves in the open field.

There is no doubt that I want us to take him but if we did then there wouldn't be a roster spot for their love child Michael Robinson. I can tell you right now if he lands on someones practice squad he is going to get picked up by someone else.
Michael Robinson? With the new look offense, the odd man out appears to be Moran Norris.

Joique Bell looks impressive. He looks like he could make a squad.
Originally posted by TommyFrazier:
Michael Robinson? With the new look offense, the odd man out appears to be Moran Norris.

Joique Bell looks impressive. He looks like he could make a squad.

Moran Norris is a delicate issue since Gore personally brought him in.

-9fA
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

You never know.

There is no doubt that I want us to take him but if we did then there wouldn't be a roster spot for their love child Michael Robinson. I can tell you right now if he lands on someones practice squad he is going to get picked up by someone else.

I don't think Blocking is a problem for Bell. A guy with Bell's frame at 224 lbs. can improve even if he's not top-notch at it, but I can't imagine Bell being a poor blocker.
Share 49ersWebzone